This is a high quality TAS of a high quality game which teaches you numbers and how to count up. The game features two challenging modes, in this TAS the "run" mode is used. Unlike the mathematics in the game, the one in the submission text is very easy.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX

Comments

To goal is to reach the end, preferably by using warps. In Stage9 there's no warp, so a wisely chosen number needs to be collected 9 times either as decimal representation or unary representation.
Getting 10's instead of 1's
my reaction not very good, don't laugh :( Actually 2 frames faster than 1's, because "ten" can be said quicker.
Fastest way of movement
Definitions: s_x: Speed in X direction, G: Player is on ground, S: Successor function
|s_x| := {S(|s_x|) if |s_x|<S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(0)))))))))))))))∧G, S(S(|s_x|) if |s_x|<S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(0)))))))))))))))∧¬G, S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(S(0))))))))))))))) else}
=> Jumping at the start is faster.
Possible routes
Definitions: S#: Stage, E: End, x: Position on the X axis, y: Position on the Y axis, n: Number of lightnings in upper right box, I: Controller inputs
S3_1 -> S3_2 : x≥4000:0 ∧ n=3
S3_1 -> S4 : 1088:0≤x≤1116:15 ∧ 120:0≤y≤120:15 ∧ I={D,A|B}
S3_2 -> S4 : x≥4000:0 ∧ n=3
S3_2 -> S5 : 3376:0≤x≤3407:15 ∧ 168:0≤y≤168:15 ∧ I={D,A|B}
S4 -> S5 : x≥4000:0 ∧ n=4
S4 -> S6 : 708:0≤x≤767:15 ∧ 168:0≤y≤168:15 ∧ I={D,A|B}
S5 -> S6 : x≥4000:0 ∧ n=5
S5 -> S7 : 2112:0≤x≤2143:15 ∧ 136:0≤y≤136:15 ∧ I={D,A|B}
S6 -> S7 : x≥4000:0 ∧ n=6
S6 -> S7 : 713:0≤x≤732:15 ∧ 104:0≤y≤104:15 ∧ I={D,A|B}
S7 -> S8 : x≥4000:0 ∧ n=7
S7 -> S9 : 1872:0≤x≤1903:15 ∧ 168:0≤y≤168:15 ∧ I={D,A|B}
S8 -> S9 : x≥4000:0 ∧ n=8
S9 -> E : x≥4000:0 ∧ n=9
The chosen route is: S3_1 -> S4 -> S6 -> S7 -> S9 ->E
Minimizing talk lenght
We want the Count to shut up. Every time he picks a number he will either laugh or say "got it". The latter one is faster. What he says is probably hardcoded. Only the order of the collection of the numbers can lead to the speech lenght being minimized.

Samsara: One file replaced, ah ah ah. Nine frames faster, ah ah ah.
The previous file was *long pause* One. One. Three. Four. Two frames, ah ah ah.

Samsara: Ah, ah, ah hell I might as well judge this.
Samsara: Sometimes it amazes me how much thought and effort you put into runs like these. Accepting to Vault.
fsvgm777: Going to publish it, ah, ah, ah.

adelikat: Remove the "Run" category. Since this is for the vault this is accepted as an any% run. If another game option was proven faster it would obsolete this movie.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4902: TASeditor's NES Sesame Street Countdown in 03:08.57
I find the math irrationally upsetting.
Experienced player (852)
Seems well done
Active player (258)
Tangent wrote:
I wish there was a thumbs up system for quotes like this. Anyway, I voted Meh. I can't really say I lost interest throughout (it's only 3 minutes long). I does strike me as odd that in "hop" mode, you hop (makes sense) but in "run" mode, you can also hop - why have the choice at that point. Also, does the music sound out of sync with itself half the time to anyone else?
Somewhat damaged.
Player (79)
I know we should be talking about the run (it was okay) but can I instead say that I'm really impressed by the speech playback in this game? I've seen a few NES games attempt it and it's usually a crackly mess. (Skate or Die 2 anyone?) The audio here was pretty clear. Does anyone know if they used any special hardware or techniques to record it, or is this just one of those things where the quality you get out is proportional to the time and effort you put in?
Editor, Expert player (2015)
TAS of the year. Yes vote for Vault.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
TehBerral wrote:
Tangent wrote:
I wish there was a thumbs up system for quotes like this.
Use you sig!
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
I liked it. Voted yes. Now I know a lot more about numbers. Edit: Also, I should run this myself to see if there's any more numbers that crash into the castle. Somehow I found that really funny :P
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
Please replace this, 9 frames faster in S6User movie #26774409996131478. Also the randomness depends when the mode is selected, haven't got any better than that though.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Bobo the King wrote:
I've seen a few NES games attempt it and it's usually a crackly mess. (Skate or Die 2 anyone?) The audio here was pretty clear.
Skate or Die 2's voices are goofy and cheesy, but not really that crackly. This video has a wide variety of examples from the NES.
Does anyone know if they used any special hardware or techniques to record it, or is this just one of those things where the quality you get out is proportional to the time and effort you put in?
All the digitized voices use the sample channel on the NES audio hardware. I am not sure if this is the exact reason, but I assume the main limiting factor is the amount of space that the samples can take up. Lower quality audio will save space for other parts of the game, if needed.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Experienced player (630)
Is the "Run" category really necessary? Anyway, not really all that entertaining, but very well optimized as usual from you. Meh vote.
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Wasn't all that entertaining, but at least the game looks and sounds nice. It might be considered too trivial a game choice, though it appears you put a fair amount of work into this. I'll vote Meh.
Bobo the King wrote:
The audio here was pretty clear.
Someone also pointed out the clear audio in another SS game run's thread. I'm guessing they put a lot of effort into the voices so the game's young audience can clearly understand what the characters are saying.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Bobo the King wrote:
I know we should be talking about the run (it was okay) but can I instead say that I'm really impressed by the speech playback in this game? I've seen a few NES games attempt it and it's usually a crackly mess. (Skate or Die 2 anyone?) The audio here was pretty clear. Does anyone know if they used any special hardware or techniques to record it, or is this just one of those things where the quality you get out is proportional to the time and effort you put in?
You either use 1-bit DPCM, or 7-bit raw stream, the former has special DMA happening at fixed time intervals several times per frame to provide enough sample rate (don't recall which exactly), the latter's sample rate is decided by the game, and it calls DMA whenever it pleases, at any rate it wants, so you get 128 times as much possible amplitude levels, and endless possibilities for samplerate. And here's how it sounds: Link to video
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Kind of disappointed they didn't use Tom's Diner for the NES music example :P https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom%27s_Diner#The_.22Mother_of_the_mp3.22 Makes me wonder how large the .nes is for that :P
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
TASeditor wrote:
Please replace this, 9 frames faster in S6User movie #26774409996131478.
Done. Apologies for the delay.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
at first i was "what?" then i was stunned by the crystal clear voice, now i'm "ha ha ha" yes
d-feather
He/Him
I do recall one of the Wheel of Fortune NES games having a soundbyte that was of a woman saying "Congratulations!" in an unexpectedly high sound quality for the console. Anyway, the movie? It's of a little kids' game. Meh vote.
:shrug: I'm more active on Twitter nowadays: @HunterCoates5
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3004] NES Sesame Street Countdown by TASeditor in 03:08.57