Submission Text Full Submission Page
Kao the Kangaroo is an Adventure Platforming game released by Titus in 2001 for the Game Boy Advance. In this movie, Kao speeds through levels, destroying enemies in his way.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Bizhawk 1.11.3
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses hardest difficulty

Comments

Kao the Kangaroo is an Adventure Platforming game released by Titus in 2001 for the Game Boy Advance, as well as other platforms such as the Sega Dreamcast. The game consists of four worlds, each with different amounts of levels that Kao must beat. At the end of each world, Kao must defeat a boss to continue onto the next world, until he reaches the Hunter, which he defeats, avenging the kangaroos caught by the Hunter.
The game is awfully notable for it's difficulty. The fast-paced action combined with tough enemies makes the game a challenge for many players. However, armed with TAS tools, Kao anticipates enemies and utilizes them to his advantage.
By jumping on the right side of an enemy, Kao can get boosted by the enemy, giving him a large boost, and a speed increase of 25% for around 100 frames. This damage boosting technique saves many frames throughout the run. However, since Kao lose health for every damage boost, TAS must conserve health, often being left with 1 hit of health left. For this reason, most of the TAS is in the state of minimum health.

Glitches Used

Enemy Clipping

By precisely jumping through the bottom of a flower, Kao can get damage boosted through the flower, thus skipping the enemy whole, and also giving him a speed increase. The only known places where Kao can enemy clip are at three flower enemies in the middle of the level.

Animation Canceling

In the snowboard level, if Kao punches while encountering the snowboard, the punch animation will be canceled, but Kao won't be on a snowboard. Using this, he can jump down to the lower level. Though it looks as if Kao is "dying", he will continue falling, until the death animation is canceled, the punch animation finishes, and Kao gets a snowboard. This saves a few seconds over going through the upper section, since you can not jump down.

Stage Comments

1-1

Nothing to note here except the only use of enemy clipping in the whole run.

Boss 1

This boss is a little crazy (and boring as well). He has a lot of health, meaning I must manipulate him in a way that he doesn't move. By doing precise frame-perfect movements, which look very sporadic to the viewer, I can manage to manipulate him for a bit to stay in the same position. However, he soon starts an earthquake animation. I also gets a lot of hits from him, but this means he starts walking again, and it would be slower to manipulate him at this point. I continue with a normal strategy, then defeat him.

2-1

In this stage, I use animation canceling to save time. However, apart from this, there are no notable tricks in this stage

2-4

A funny thing that happens in this stage is when I have to climb up one of the trees. By jumping very fast, the camera can't catch up, and Kao's x-position overflows, putting him at the bottom of the stage instead of just above the camera. Nothing else in this stage is notable.

3-4

Again, in this stage, I have to climb up the "tower". However, this time, the tower is so tall that Kao's position overflows twice. Nothing else in this stage is notable

Boss 3

By strictly forcing the boss into the corner, he can not go back into his genie lamp and teleport, meaning I can just "ground pound" on him to my heart's content (or until he dies).

Boss 4

The Hunter is a quite easy boss: for TAS at least. All I need to do is move as he moves, and ground pound on him repeatedly until he dies. While running to the finish post, I end early to save frames on TAS timing, and the deceleration of Kao pushes him just into the post, triggering the long cutscene. TAS timing ends at 16:25.144.

Other comments

Due to the lack of computer memory, an encode of this movie would not fit on my hard drive. A temporary encode would be great for anyone who is willing.

Game Version

The game was not released in Japan, meaning I can't skip the language select menu. The USA version is same as the EU version, and contains the European languages as well.

Suggested screenshot

Frame 13316: Kao animation cancels, confusing the game on what animation to play.

Special Thanks

I would like to give a large thanks to those who helped me along the way during the making of this tool-assisted movie. These people are:
  • Malleoz for showing me to the world of tool-assisted speedruns.
  • AltruismAndCake for tolerating my consistent ranting about tool-assisted speedrunning, and even helping me as well.
  • The tasvideos.org IRC channel who motivated me to complete my first tool-assisted speedrun.
  • Freddie Mercury

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4911: finap13's GBA Kao the Kangaroo in 16:25.12
Editor, Expert player (2015)
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
finap13
He/Him
Note to encoder: the cutscene at the end is Kao and other kangaroos walking along with the Hunter in the cage. After a few minutes, the game will have a rainbow screen that says "End". This is probably where it's best to end the encode.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Thanks, arandomgameTASer for the encode! Decently entertaining run. The pace was fast throughout most of the run, and the health management seemed to get really intense toward the end. I enjoyed the vertical scrolling glitch. Also, while the first two bosses are somewhat on the slow side, the later two bosses make up for it very nicely. I couldn't spot any major errors execution-wise either. Good job on the run, voting yes. Also, man, I can't quite put my finger on it, but the Stage 3 boss looks -really- familiar to me somehow.
Jules
Any
Skilled player (1144)
Wow, Kao the Kangaroo? I thought those games had faded from the public's subconscious. These games are, to be frank, quite lousy. I think there was a PSP game that tried to reinvent the titular character as a gritty, complex anti-hero... yikes. This run was reasonably enjoyable, even if the game doesn't really stick out from the heaps of lame 2D cookie-cutter platformers on the GBA. One question: you can slide down hills by pressing R, does that save any time?
finap13
He/Him
RobynS wrote:
Wow, Kao the Kangaroo? I thought those games had faded from the public's subconscious. These games are, to be frank, quite lousy. I think there was a PSP game that tried to reinvent the titular character as a gritty, complex anti-hero... yikes. This run was reasonably enjoyable, even if the game doesn't really stick out from the heaps of lame 2D cookie-cutter platformers on the GBA. One question: you can slide down hills by pressing R, does that save any time?
You can, but it actually loses frames: it's maximum speed is the same as the maximum running speed, and loses frames due to acceleration speed.
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
finap13 wrote:
You can, but it actually loses frames: it's maximum speed is the same as the maximum running speed, and loses frames due to acceleration speed.
It is faster, you just need to jump on the slope, or if you can't jump on it you don't want to hold r, but hit it once then bounce off and hit r again when you hit the ground. See User movie #26946032183901719. Sliding downhill is ~1500 (can't remember exact value), running is 1024 with address 0x37B5.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
finap13
He/Him
TASeditor wrote:
finap13 wrote:
It is faster, you just need to jump on the slope, or if you can't jump on it you don't want to hold r, but hit it once then bounce off and hit r again when you hit the ground. See User movie #26946032183901719. Sliding downhill is ~1500 (can't remember exact value), running is 1024 with address 0x37B5.
Thank you for notifying me of this. I will re-do the TAS, keeping this and your other advice in mind.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
Here are some tips for you:
    The damage boost lenght depends on when you get hit, earlier hit is better because the enemy knocks you back multiple times. After a damage boost you can punch on two specific frames to get an additional boost of 1 pixel. Try to bypass all enemies without getting knockback in the opposite direction. If you can't avoid that a punch can stop from going to far to the opposite direction. Bosses have an invunerability time of 25 frames. Get as many gloves in the levels before the boss fights, even if you lose some frame first, you can delay 25 frames without losing time. Damage boosts save 4 frames. Item drops depend on the time the enemy was killed, try to get hearts to do more damage boosts or gloves for the boss fights. Small hearts give 3 HP back, big 7. Which means to get a small one you are allowed to delay 12 frames without losing time, 28 frames for a big one.
Here are some memory addresses. Here is a new test movie which should be a good reference for the tricks. Doesn't do any item drops though.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch