(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page

In-game All Clear Time: 00:18:09

Run Attributes

• Aims for in-game time instead of real-time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck

Emulator Details - Dolphin v4.0-5400 (Does not sync with latest revisions)

• Dual Core - Disabled
  • Idle skipping - Disabled
  • JIT CPU Recompiler
  • DSP LLE Recompiler
  • External Frame Buffer - Enabled | Virtual
  • No Gamecube controllers
  • Emulated Wiimote: Classic Controller
  • Clear game data (Right click the game title, choose "Open Wii save folder". Delete or move everything)
  • Cheats enabled - Add gecko code found here: http://pastebin.com/8q4Ryn13
Anyone who wants to encode this should PM me if they need help getting it to work.

Comments

This is a run using Mega Man on Normal Difficulty. It utilizes a gecko code created by Delroth and Darkeye which allows quick weapon switching similar to Mega Man 10. For the purposes of this run, the code is ONLY used to provide a smoother viewing experience. An in-game time run without using the code would use the exact same strategies, but every weapon change would include a ~70 frame pause. After obtaining concrete shot, this would become incredibly jarring and unpleasant to watch.
The code isn't perfect, and there are some frames where it doesn't work or I need to change weapons faster than the code allows. For this, I still use the menu as normal.
Again, the code DOES NOT provide any gameplay advantages over a regular run. It's ONLY purpose is to enhance the entertainment. Whether this code bars it from acceptance is to be seen. I merely created this run because I said I would 4 years ago (Forum/Posts/296896) and I'm not one to be called a liar. :)
I will add that there is an improvement to be had if someone were to create a New Game+ of this run with maximum screws and buy an M-Tank before every stage. This would allow an extra full bar of concrete shot zips would could save up to a second on each stage. I chose not to do this and only visited the shot once before the Wily stages.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4920: diggidoyo's Wii Mega Man 9 "In-Game Time" in 30:00.00
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
I have not yet seen this run, but I did see that testrun/WIP of some years back, and based on that, I expect this run to be completely awesome to watch. However, as I already stated at the time, I am strongly against publishing this run or anything like it. Even if it does not affect its goal of in-game time, it is still a movie that relies on an external cheat code to work. This breaks a fundamental site rule, and I will make no exception to it. TASVideos was founded on the principle of informing viewers what tool-assisted speedruns were and are, and that the "tools" involved were not cheat devices that directly modified the game data. Publishing this run would go directly against that very founding principle.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Experienced player (580)
Well to that I'd agree and was the sole reason I went without the code for the published run. However, I'm uploading an encode now, and I'd like to propose an exception to this rule. My arguments will make more sense once the run is seen, so I'll withhold them for now.
Skilled player (1150)
I didn't watch yet. If this tas could be published, we need a new tier, first. I hope tasvideos will accept cheat tas someday.
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
mtvf1 wrote:
I hope tasvideos will accept cheat tas someday.
Then we should rename the site to endvideos.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
I'll explain this in more detail when I wake up, but I'll try to quickly summarize my thoughts: I'm highly against publishing any TASes that require outside cheats or scripts to function properly, and I'm especially against adding a "cheat tier" to the site. 1. As Moth said, it goes against the purpose/goals of the site, where we're all about deterministic input that could logically be played back on console 2. Slippery slope. Simple as that. Accepting something like this will set a precedent where people just start submitting any cheated TASes they want and say "Well, MM9 got accepted, why can't this one?" 3. I'm going to bring up the old demo/playaround argument here: How would obsoletion be determined for cheated TASes? As far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't. There's no logical way to do it. There's inevitably going to be 1 frame runs of games that use one single cheat that sets the ending flag immediately, making the entire tier completely pointless, and even if we set huge amounts of restrictions, there's still going to be a lot of hassle involved I'd rather these kinds of runs stick to the forums. A run doesn't need to be published to be considered "legitimate", it just needs to exist and there you go. There's no reason to bend the site rules to make one single exception, and it'll just confuse and possibly infuriate the audience. I'll always be glad that a TAS exists for any reason, but in this case I'm completely against publishing it as it breaks site rules. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk. Try not to let the debates/arguments get out of hand, everyone.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!
Experienced player (580)
Was a little premature anyways since it desyncs at wily 3. Going to fix the desync and upload it as a "forum post" in the MM9 thread.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
mtvf1 wrote:
I didn't watch yet. If this tas could be published, we need a new tier, first. I hope tasvideos will accept cheat tas someday.
Exactly.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Active player (432)
Samsara wrote:
I'll explain this in more detail when I wake up, but I'll try to quickly summarize my thoughts: I'm highly against publishing any TASes that require outside cheats or scripts to function properly, and I'm especially against adding a "cheat tier" to the site. 1. As Moth said, it goes against the purpose/goals of the site, where we're all about deterministic input that could logically be played back on console 2. Slippery slope. Simple as that. Accepting something like this will set a precedent where people just start submitting any cheated TASes they want and say "Well, MM9 got accepted, why can't this one?" 3. I'm going to bring up the old demo/playaround argument here: How would obsoletion be determined for cheated TASes? As far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't. There's no logical way to do it. There's inevitably going to be 1 frame runs of games that use one single cheat that sets the ending flag immediately, making the entire tier completely pointless, and even if we set huge amounts of restrictions, there's still going to be a lot of hassle involved I'd rather these kinds of runs stick to the forums. A run doesn't need to be published to be considered "legitimate", it just needs to exist and there you go. There's no reason to bend the site rules to make one single exception, and it'll just confuse and possibly infuriate the audience. I'll always be glad that a TAS exists for any reason, but in this case I'm completely against publishing it as it breaks site rules. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk. Try not to let the debates/arguments get out of hand, everyone.
This and what Mothrayas said. As cool as it may look like, but above points stands firm to me and what this site is about. Sorry Diggi :(
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
I realize this got killed for multiple reasons, but is there any chance that there will be an encode? This is a run I'd really like to watch
Former player
I was against the closing of the concept demo tire (though I'm glad hack tases are no longer forced into it), but perhaps this tas could have been published there. However, if the goal of this cheat code is to remove tedious pauses in gameplay without actually affecting it, then I think a cleaner solution would be to just record the TAS as usual, and then publish both a normal encode and an alternative encode with the pauses removed. This is pretty easy to achieve with lua. See this Metroid Fusion encode for an example.
Experienced player (580)
While you're probably right, lua is not something I'm familiar with and I don't have the will nor the patience to create this run again. I started this TAS with the code because it made it more enjoyable to work on and watch. I worked on the regular published MM9 TAS first out of respect for the "rules" of this site, but honestly I felt it to be more of a formality than anything. With the in-game timer present in this game and MegaDestructor9's fantastic IL runs, this was the TAS that I always wanted to see. And sometimes when you want something done.....
AngerFist wrote:
This and what Mothrayas said. As cool as it may look like, but above points stands firm to me and what this site is about. Sorry Diggi :(
There's no need to be sorry. I don't create my TAS's for TASvideos, however authoritative this place may be. I create them for myself and for anyone who enjoys watching them. I will admit it will be harder to publicize without the official TASvideos seal of approval, but at least the hard part is over. My main interest was to find out how far off from perfect MegaDestructor9's in-game time of 19:18 was. Frankly, I was surprised that our run beat him (by a mere 7 seconds) with how sub-optimal it was. This TAS improves on it by another full minute. A new-game+ with max screws could buy M-tanks before every level and possibly bring this run down into the 17's. Perhaps that would be a project for someone to run their lua on. ;) Link to video