Submission Text Full Submission Page
Batman Returns is a 2-D side-scroller released for the Atari Lynx.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Bizhawk 1.11.3
  • Pacifist
  • JUMP!

Comments

After TASing Dragster for a while but getting nowhere, I looked over the Atari section again to see if there was anything there that didn't already have a TAS to it and interested me, this TAS is the result of that.
Jumping is fastest form of movement in this game, where I don't jump, it's either due to being hit by the enemy, or if I jump, I'll fall and die. When Batman does a spinning Jump, his movement is locked so the direction cannot be changed unless he has touched something walkable. When you throw a Batarang while in midair, Batman position is locked, you can get out of it by jumping and pressing a direction.

Stage by stage comments

Level 1

Pretty simple, jump, I avoid the Bikers because if Batman gets hit by them he comes to a complete stop. Boss: As you can only hit his head and he likes to keep his head up most of the time, you have to time when you are going to hit him.

Level 2

I don't jump in the way of Shotgun bullets as these stop Batman, they are also the reason why I stop at some ledges as if I get hit by one while jumping over the ledge/gap, Batman will fall to his death. Boss: If you get and stay too close, Cat Woman will kick batman, so I keep my distance using batarangs.

Level 3

Penguin's Rockets and Mini-rockets will stop Batman, so it's best to avoid them whenever possible. To progress, I have to defeat all penguins that appear at the end, how you defeat them determine when they spawn, this is why I choose to go to the far right first.

Level 4

At the end of the Level, getting hit by Rockets is unavoidable, so I time my jumps to change when they start shooting, this allows me to reach the Final Boss sooner: Boss: This boss has 3 cycles, I used the Acid sparingly throughout the TAS so I would have enough for the first 2 cycles, I manipulate him at the end to make him move closer to his machine, this allows me to face the right direction when delivering the final blow. It is not possible to kill him on an earlier cycle.

Samsara: Setting to delayed, as the author has stated he'll make a non-pacifist replacement file.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4922: DwainiumB's Lynx Batman Returns in 07:33.59
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Remove that branch name, otherwise everything was boring, Meh Vote.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
I liked the jump animation when you were on the ledge/platform. Otherwise, I wasn't interested. Meh vote from me.
Batman has a pretty doofy jogging animation in this game. This game is far and away better than the other Lynx game we've had a run for. Everything's pretty smooth, the graphics and sound are inoffensive, and there's a good variety of environments and enemies. It's still not that great though.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Derakon basically said what I wanted to say. Back when adelikat was looking for a first Lynx submission, this probably would have been a better choice than Gordo the Lab Monkey. I like how there is actually a little complexity to boss fights, like manipulating the penguin spawns in Stage 3. The ending text is pretty funny too; it makes it look like your main reason for defeating the Penguin was to get bonus points. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
PCachu
He/Him
"I shall disguise myself as a creature of the night, to strike terror into the hearts of criminals -- a superstitious, cowardly lot, who are also worth lots and lots of points."
Personman
Other
I legitimately enjoyed this run quite a bit. The game is absurd, the constant undignified jumping is even more absurd, and it's nice and short. Yes vote!
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Makes me want to see a run of the solid SNES beat-em-up Batman Returns. A shame that genre doesn't lend itself to variety throughout.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Is pacifist the fastest way to complete this game?
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Editor
Run Jump to the right for the win.
DwainiumB
He/Him
Player (57)
Samsara wrote:
Is pacifist the fastest way to complete this game?
No
Perception is the greatest deception. nitrogenesis: 04:43:04: but TAS is life nitrogenesis: 04:43:23: TAS everyday MKWii TAS Discord: https://discord.gg/z5bu44H MKWii TAS Records: https://goo.gl/ZrGKgt Currently Trying to TAS: On Hold: The Incredibles (GC) The Incredibles: Rise Of The Underminer (GC) Future: (GC) Egg Mania: Eggstreme Madness (Wii) The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of The Unicorn Mario Kart Wii 32 Track GP
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
About how much time is lost, then? Pacifist isn't vaultable, but if the time loss isn't too significant then it could technically still qualify as an any% (which would be obsoleted by a non-pacifist run, of course).
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Editor, Experienced player (894)
Someone ought to tell Batman that prancing does not strike fear into the hearts of criminals. The run was overall worth watching at least once, with the neat expressive graphics, silly jumping action and the fourth wall breaking ending (still better than Batman: Arkham Knight's story >_>)... so I'll give it a strong 'meh'.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... want more!