(Link to video)
Hetfield90's RosenkreuzStilette "Spiritia" TAS in 28:01.15. It is 57.34 seconds faster than the published run by in-game timing parameters, and an improvement of 1087 frames(18.1s) through directly comparable improvements. (Note that the reason why this run appears to be 3s slower than the published run by standard TAS timing parameters is because the published run ends input before the final boss fight whereas this one does not, since doing so is detrimental to in-game time).

Non-default Hourglass Settings

• Multithreading and Wait Sync: Allow
  • Disable DirectSound Creation
CheckSum File [dead link removed]

Game Objectives

• Game version used: JPN 1.05c
  • Emulator used: Hourglass-r81
  • Uses no passwords
  • Aims for fastest in-game time completion
  • Manipulates luck
  • Takes damage to save time

About the Run

Most of the specific details about the run are included in the annotations of youtube encode, so these submission notes will just cover more general information.

In-Game Time

The in-game timer in the RosenkreuzStilette games is a strictly real-time clock that takes everything into account including lag, framerate, pauses, etc... which runs from the first stage select screen until the last cutscene plays after defeating Iris. Therefor the only thing that changes strategy-wise when aiming for fastest in-game time completion is not freeing Lilli to end input before the final Iris fight.
This run's in-game time completion is 26:35.90, which can be seen after the credits.

Stage Comparisons

Differences surrounding Lilli acquisition and the Iris fight have been omitted from the stage by stage comparisons. Also, since ammo does not refill between fortress stages, frames sacrificed from ammo refills in those stages have been subtracted from their respective stage's framecount and consolidated into a separate value.

Possible Improvements

Unfortunately any changes made to an earlier stage will cause a completely different set of RNG values to be generated at the beginning of the next stage, so improvements to earlier parts of the run which were found later were unable to be hex edited in.
  • Manipulate 4 small weapon drops instead of one big one in Luste's stage to avoid big ammo refill lag(8 frames)
  • Don't slide for a frame after falling into boss rooms(4 frames)
  • Turn around at the start of the first Trauare fight so that the charged Geisterwand goes clockwise(1 frame)
  • Manipulate Poltergeist's glass shards to conglomerate more quickly each cycle
  • Move the ammo drop from the semifinal skull of Sepperin 4 to the met in the checkpoint room of Sepperin 2 so you don't have to go under the platform in Sepperin 4(1 frame)
  • Somehow manipulate a small weapon drop from the both the bottom shield met and the normal met in Iris 4 during rain(3 frames)
  • Manipulate a higher Iris spawn for her final teleport so she flies off the screen quicker after death(this will only improve in-game time)

Acknowledgements

AzureHakua: Is responsible for finding a number of improvements over the published run which were used in this run through TASing parts of the game a few months ago as well as throwing out ideas on IRC throughout the making of this run.
Sairaan: Also came up with a number of improvements used in this run and helped out with mechanics info and such on IRC.
Bernka: For his published run which I referenced throughout this run.
FractalFusion: For disassembling item drop and Bosspider RNG which helped out tremendously in those parts of the run.

Screenshot Suggestion(frame 76165)

Samsara: Judging.
Samsara: Thanks to FractalFusion, Atma and feos for confirming sync.
Accepting as an improvement to the published run. The improvements with Zwei in Schwer's stage were a highlight not just in the movie, but also in my career of typing random German.
feos: Like it's not obvious...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4940: Hetfield90's Windows Rosenkreuzstilette "Spiritia" in 28:01.15
Editor, Expert player (2001)
hell yeah dude! Yes vote.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
I have to say that I kind of miss beating the final boss via ending input as you enter her room.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Tangent wrote:
I have to say that I kind of miss beating the final boss via ending input as you enter her room.
Same here, also for some reason this run makes me feel strange because of changes in character speech… I’m giving it a No vote, as I will probably prefer watching Bernka’s version, but I realize this is an improvement and should obsolete Bernka’s run. Hope you understand my position.
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
EgixBacon
He/Him
Player (181)
"Furoiden Sutahheru! Furoiden Sutahheru! Furoiden Suta..." Sheesh. MHX Storm Tornado says hi. Have all my Yes votes, you handsome man.
FanFiction|Youtube Still on Win7! Take that, Microsoft!
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
At 15:05 in the YT vid, is it possible to hit that boss with 2 attacks on the same frame somehow? Does damage stack? Can you refill Zwei with drops? If so I think there should be more places where Zwei is usable… I like actually fighting the last boss instead of standing still. Yes vote. Edit: Just noticed there’s no RosenkreuzStilette topic? That’s crazy. You should open one and dump the RNG and other info in there.
Skilled player (1218)
The way damage on that boss works is that once you deal enough damage to destroy a clump of shards, it will automatically deduct 4 from the boss' total hit points regardless of whether or not you overkill it. There's no way to make the fight faster than killing each of the 7 clumps the frame they can take damage. Zwei's maximum speed is equal Tia's sliding speed(6px/f) and takes decent amount of time to accelerate to that velocity, therefor it is only useful in rooms the where terrain forces a lot of jumping(airborne horizontal movement speed is 3px/f). Also, I am refilling Zwei constantly throughout the fortress stages. The Zwei ammo refill route is very specific since you need just enough ammo for each Zwei to expire when you jump off of it so you're not wasting frames filling up excess, and there are only a limited number of enemies between each Zwei to actually pull this off. For instance, using Zwei in the long checkpoint room of Iris 1 is 1 frame faster than using multiple Eins, but there simply aren't enough enemies after the preceding Zwei in the 3rd room of the stage without resorting to picking up a big ammo drop(which would cause 10 frames of refill lag, completely negating the time save, and you wouldn't be able to get the 4 ammo you need for the Zwei in the last yoku block room of the stage since there is only one enemy in your path before it).
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I definitely like this TAS a lot. Some things about the TAS (Hetfield90 may have already mentioned this in the Youtube commentary): - Nearly everything uses the RNG to varying degrees. That's why you see a lot of Freudenstachel shots (and jumping in boss rooms as well). - The Zwei slide glitch in Schwer's stage occurs by placing Zwei level to a platform; then sliding onto the platform makes the game think you are still riding Zwei so you achieve very high speeds until you jump, turn around or take damage. - Taking damage/having lower HP allows Grollschwert to do more damage. This is used against Sichte as well as Sepperin's second form. - There is an upper route in Trauare's stage but it is slower. - Getting four small weapon energy is faster than getting one big weapon energy; that's why there's all this manipulation for small weapon energy in the castle stages. - In Sepperin 4, the lower route is faster as Spiritia. According to Hetfield90, the upper route is faster as Grolla. - Hetfield90 shoots a lot of Freudenstachel in Iris 1 for Bosspider manipulation. Speaking of which, it is possible to hit Bosspider three times per round to kill it in two cycles. Start with Zwei to gain enough height to hit it as soon as possible; Bosspider must come down as fast as possible but have three wire crossings at the fifth row (from the top) or below to get three hits in. For the second cycle, get as high as possible using Eins, then hit it three times; the wires just have to be anything that allow enough time for three hits. Also some things about using Hourglass with RKS that Hetfield90 informed me about: - There are a few graphical encode glitches in Hetfield90's encode. I don't know if they are avoidable. - Hetfield90 used Virtualbox+WinXP to run Hourglass+RKS and TAS in it. He also was able to run hourglass+RKS in his Windows 7, but I was unable to when I tried (may be computer differences). - Hourglass+RKS crashes when a previous room is loaded in some cases. For example, after reaching Bosspider's room, loading a previous room causes a crash. Hetfield90 mentioned something about me and RNG. I'll explain about the RNG part: - I strongly suspect that the RNG uses 32-bit Mersenne Twister (MT19937). I have not verified it yet but my guess is based on the recurrence of the number 624 in the implementation of this RNG, which stores and uses 624 4-byte numbers. According to Wikipedia, in MT19937, every sequence of 624 4-byte numbers appears an equal number of times in a period (period is 2^19937-1) except for all-zero, which appears once less. - Hetfield90 mentioned something about changes to an earlier stage causing completely different RNG for later stages; I don't know what causes this. - My likely guess as to the implementation of how RNG is used is some kind of rand(n) function that generates a random integer between 0 and n-1. The likely implementation is to take a 4-byte number (between 0 and 2^32-1), multiply it by n, divide by 2^32, and round down to make it as normally distributed as possible. - Based on the above assumption and testing by changing memory values, item drop works as follows, when an enemy is killed (RNG numbers are hexadecimal): 1) Get RNG value. If RNG>=40000000 (rand(100)>=25), then no item drop. Otherwise, 2) Get another RNG value. If RNG<=51EB851E (rand(100)<32), then small health drop. Otherwise, 3) Get another RNG value. If RNG<=6B851EB8 (rand(100)<42), then big health drop. Otherwise, 4) Get another RNG value. If RNG<=BD70A3D7 (rand(100)<74), then small weapon drop. Otherwise, 5) Get another RNG value. If RNG<=F0A3D70A (rand(100)<94), then big weapon drop. Otherwise, 1-up drop. - Bosspider wire RNG is as follows (RNG numbers are hexadecimal): *) Get 8 or more RNG values to determine 8 wires. The RNG values determine the wires as in the following chart (value of rand(30) in brackets):
        LEFT             MIDDLE            RIGHT
|                     |                     |                     |
|00000000-08888888(00)|55555556-5DDDDDDD(10)|AAAAAAAB-B3333333(20)|
|08888889-11111111(01)|5DDDDDDE-66666666(11)|B3333334-BBBBBBBB(21)|
|11111112-19999999(02)|66666667-6EEEEEEE(12)|BBBBBBBC-C4444444(22)|
|1999999A-22222222(03)|6EEEEEEF-77777777(13)|C4444445-CCCCCCCC(23)|
|22222223-2AAAAAAA(04)|77777778-7FFFFFFF(14)|CCCCCCCD-D5555555(24)|
|2AAAAAAB-33333333(05)|80000000-88888888(15)|D5555556-DDDDDDDD(25)|
|33333334-3BBBBBBB(06)|88888889-91111111(16)|DDDDDDDE-E6666666(26)|
|3BBBBBBC-44444444(07)|91111112-99999999(17)|E6666667-EEEEEEEE(27)|
|44444445-4CCCCCCC(08)|9999999A-A2222222(18)|EEEEEEEF-F7777777(28)|
|4CCCCCCD-55555555(09)|A2222223-AAAAAAAA(19)|F7777778-FFFFFFFF(29)|
|                     |                     |                     |
*) If any wire determined by this method conflicts with a previously determined wire by being the same or directly to its left or right, then it is ignored and the next RNG value is used instead. *) The game keeps using RNG values until 8 wires are determined. By the way, I support Hetfield90's decision to go for in-game time. The previous TAS had its funny moment with the loophole abuse; now I get to see what the final boss looks like TASed. Sure, you don't get to hear as much music or see all of Iris's attacks, but that's not what a TAS is for. Edit: Oh, forgot to mention. I used Cheat Engine to figure out the RNG. Some addresses I know of are: 61DAB4 (rks.exe+21DAB4) Lives 61DB44 (rks.exe+21DB44) HP BCC8F0 (rks.exe+7CC8F0) RNG
Former player
Yes vote for being a solid run with some cool new tricks. However, I was unable to get it to sync on neither vmware, virtualbox, or even an actual pc running windows xp. It would seem syncability is the key factor for this run.
Former player
This is a cool run of a cool game. Yes vote.
Active player (432)
This is the year of Hetfield90! As always, solid solid work. No hesitation at all from me to give this a yes vote. Keep going my man :)
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
JXQ
Experienced player (749)
Another yes vote for MegaVania: Perfect Cherry Blossom
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
I managed to get it to sync using Virtualbox+WinXP on my system. - Download and install Virtualbox. - Download an official WinXP trial version ("IE6 on XP" and "Virtualbox"). - Open Virtualbox and install the WinXP image through File -> Import Appliance... . Set a large enough RAM (512MB works, I think). - Launch the WinXP image. Transfer hourglass, tia.wtf (the submission TAS), and the RKS game folder there. (You can use Devices -> Insert Guest Additions CD Image... , reboot, then set a shared folder through Devices -> Shared Folders and then run cmd.exe in WinXP and type "net use x: \\vboxsvr\sharename", replacing "sharename" with the name of the shared folder, and then access the X: drive from My Computer.) - Open the RKS game folder and delete config.dat if it exists. - Launch hourglass, then load tia.wtf and the RKS game executable. - For Multithreading and Wait Sync, click "Allow". (Checking the option Sound -> Disable DirectSound Creation seems to be optional but is recommended. Checking Fast-Forward is also recommended.) - Play the movie. I tested both the JP v1.05c version that Hetfield90 has as well as the English version (a patch of v1.05c), and both of them sync. I also tested another WinXP image (which runs faster) and both versions work on that image as well. The version in question is something like "Windows_XP_Professional_SP3_Nov_2013_Incl_SATA_Drivers.iso" but it is not official so I can't link it here. About RKS replay files: I generated an .rpy file of the TAS inside WinXP. However, this file appears to work only inside WinXP. It desyncs when attempting to run in RKS in Windows 7. About graphical glitches: There are a few graphical glitches in the encode (such as Luste's music note bubble having a black box around it when it's not supposed to be there). Indeed, the graphical glitch appears in the game itself when running hourglass+RKS, as well as when running standalone RKS inside WinXP. Note: Here is the Dxdiag report of my system, if it is somehow important.
Former player
I tried using said XP trial version (though in vmware), still desynced at the same point for me. I'd say the graphical glitches are related to virtualbox rather than hourglass, as previous encodes did not have that issue or so I recall. I can't even get rks to start in my main win7, though it already has its own share of problems so they're probably related.
Skilled player (1218)
The encodes in the submission text were made in Windows 7 outside of virtualbox. It is strange that the same graphical glitches occur in virtualbox while running the game without hourglass as well as running the game in hourglass outside of virtualbox, so I am not sure what is causing them. The published Grolla and Tia encodes do not have them. Here's what they are as far I've noticed: 1. Black boxes around enemy debris and Luste's speech bubble 2. Most particle effects are extremely pixelated 3. Full-screen fade ins/outs don't appear
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
Synced with "Allow" and "System Memory" for graphics. Was desyncing or crashing will all the rest.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Former player
That was indeed the cause of the desync for me, and is also the cause of the graphical glitches present. Just played it through completely.
However I don't see a clear time screen like in the encode. The stars keep scrolling with the author's logo in the middle. Otherwise, I've dumped it and am ready to encode. I think now as we've verified it, it wouldn't take tong to judge.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
feos wrote:
Otherwise, I've dumped it and am ready to encode. I think now as we've verified it, it wouldn't take tong to judge.
I've never personally gotten it to sync even with Fractal's instructions and your follow-up, but since three people have confirmed sync and you're up for encoding...
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Skilled player (1218)
To see the clear time screen you would have to rerecord over the credits and hit start at the end.
To Spike: [28.7%] 29030/101108 frames, 0.49 fps, 1124.92 kb/s, eta 40:52:05 This is 10bit, which I do first. It may take MORE than a week.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3045] Windows Rosenkreuzstilette "Spiritia" by Hetfield90 in 28:01.15
Adding to what Tangent said, I was under the impression (based on what was posted in this thread) that someone was able to sync the TAS without the erroneous visual artifacts. Was I mistaken?
Also, it's kind of a shame to lose the subtitles in the original encode.