Post subject: Question about Lode Runner
Former player
Is the nes version as long as the arcade one? Because the arcade one is 150 levels...
Editor, Active player (296)
Oh, that's pretty long. I don't know how long the NES version is.
Active player (410)
ANd I think it's not a good idea doing a timeattack on this game. It's a pretty boring game.
Former player
Yeah thats what I thought too. Wasn't sure why it was on Bisqwit's list of ideas.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
i think it's 99 levels long (you can select level to start if you press a certain button when the level number appears on screen)
Bob Whoops wrote:
Wasn't sure why it was on Bisqwit's list of ideas.
Maybe for the same reason everyone asks movies for boring games ;) It's a hard game and enjoyable to play.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
my, mistake, i played it, and when u select a level, you can only select to 50. i played through level 50 and it went back to level 1 when finished. i played 49 and it went to 50. i don't know if it was because of the cheat, or if the game is only 50 levels.
Former player
I tried it too and I only found 50 levels the same way you did FODA.
/Walker Boh
Banned User, Former player
Has anyone even considered making a TAS of this game? From the looks of it, I think it has potential. There seems to be lots of room for tactical optimization. Granted, if all the 50 levels look the same, it might get boring, but...
The bubblebobble run has similar properties and was published, so give it a try.
qfox.nl
qFox wrote:
The bubblebobble run has similar properties and was published
And Boulder Dash, and Solomon's Key, and the Lolo series... Here's a WIP of mine. https://files.tasvideos.org/bisqwit/bisqwit-loderunner-incomplete.fcm It completes 13 stages out of 50. Each stage takes approximately a minute by average to complete. There's a low-quality AVI of the run here: https://files.tasvideos.org/bisqwit/bisqwit-loderunner-incomplete.avi (~9 MB) It abuses a glitch in the game (you can climb across an enemy in the same ladder in certain circumstances), and discovers a few efficient ladder maneuvers that are quite minor to be noticeable. Sometimes the enemies' tendency to pick up the treasures makes it easier to get a good time (stage 11 in particular).
Active player (277)
Hey, that run was pretty fun to watch! And not just because it has Human Bomberman versus Evil Bombermen. I hope you finish it!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Player (84)
There is a Select cheat to make the game run faster. I had a WIP started of this using it. It would be much better to watch that way.
"Run faster" as in actually speeding up the game or jumping to a later level (like in the Boulder Dash recording)? As a long time viewer (and first time poster...well first time with this ID), I think I wouldn't have any problem viewing what is going to presumably be an hour-long movie that completes all the levels, particularly since you found that nice glitch on the ladders.
Vatchern wrote:
There is a Select cheat to make the game run faster. I had a WIP started of this using it. It would be much better to watch that way.
I see. It directly controls the length of a busyloop the game spends after each game iteration, or the number of iterations of game for when to render the display. The default value is $24. The minimum is $01, and the maximum is $00 (interpreted as $100). Here's level 1 with the fastest setting. (256 kB AVI) https://files.tasvideos.org/bisqwit/loderunnerspeed.avi I have mixed feelings about this.
omg. That's like running a 386 game on a pentium. Also, it's just like recording a faster speed. Does it actually change anything? Because if general gamespeed is the only thing, and it's as crazy as this, then I'd say nay (it doesn't make things harder for a TAS).
qfox.nl
As far as I see, the physics are the same in this fast version, except that it's more difficult to insert fine-precision input because the movie format only has input every frame, not more often. This may matter when going through enemies in the ladders...
Active player (277)
Oh no, it's making the time in between levels longer than the time in levels.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
Oh no, it's making the time in between levels longer than the time in levels.
Yes, unfortunately. But the between-level animation can be skipped by pressing select and selecting the next level manually. Which, I did not do in the WIP.
I think that if you can reduce the waiting times, you could do a really nice movie with that speed enhancement, ladder glitch or not. That's actually a pretty cool trick...I don't think we've had any recordings which have had the games sped up this way.
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
I actually sought after a Lode Runner TAS when I first visited the site because I've enjoyed the NES and other various versions of the game. I hope someone makes it soon (I might consider the project too if there is sufficient interest).
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084
Player (206)
Bisqwit wrote:
Here's a WIP of mine. https://files.tasvideos.org/bisqwit/bisqwit-loderunner-incomplete.fcm
I played and made an incomplete run of this game before. And there are a few parts that should be improved in your run. Here's my run, from Stage1 to 10. http://www.geocities.jp/his_7go/movie/LR1-10_fcm.zip I think this run is comparatively fast, but other ideas to run faster might exist.