Submission Text Full Submission Page
Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine is a short but difficult game where you pilot a spaceship around enemy filled rooms to reach the elevator at the end of each of the 3 stages. The NES port is not particularly good, as you must choose between sound effects and music. The current submission is an improvement of Randil's run by 615 frames.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.2
  • Beats the game as fast as possible

Comments

I noticed this game after jlun2 pointed it out in the 'First 500' thread of old runs that were originally rejected before the vault was available. I noticed that it was a curious run in that it had no music, so I decided to take a little deeper look and see what this game was all about.
The improvements are just movement optimization, nothing special really, the only interesting thing to me was some discussion in Randil's submission thread about why the game had no music. Adelikat mentioned something about a bad opcode somewhere, but I couldn't find anything of the sort. In fact, the game seems to be a rare case where the starting RAM state used by an emulator effects the initial state of the game. There are 2 effects, initial difficulty selected and music/sound effects choice. Music is default to off because FCEUX initializes 05FB to 0. Similarly, Initial difficulty is set to Easy because 0523 is set to 0. In Nestopia for example where music is default, 05FB is set to 255. So, if an emulator happened to set 0523 to 2(+4n given how menuing works) the default difficulty would be set to Lethal and 4 more frames could be saved. You can see this quite clearly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDe3rupHxnI where initial difficulty is normal but the selection goes backwards to easy, meaning the initial value of 0523 in that case was 3(+4n)
Also, it is Start+A which changes music, not select+A.
I hope this clears this up a bit and serves as an illustrative example of emulation choices effecting game play.

Other comments

There is not much else to say. Other ports of this game have far superior graphics and sound/music, so it might be worth it to have a TAS of one of those at some point.
Special thanks to jlun2 for the research in old runs.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
So, you can make a faster movie with a different default ram state? If you are willing to do this in BizHawk, I'd be willing to add support for this.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3521)
^ sure, I'd be willing to rework things in BIzhawk, its not a difficult run by any means, more of a technical novelty. EDIT: oh, and also quicknes core in Bizhawk seems to have trouble with this game for some reason, didn't look too deeply into it though. EDIT2: Probably has to do with quicknes setting everything to FF after a cursory look at the RAM.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
[quote="Alyosha" EDIT: oh, and also quicknes core in Bizhawk seems to have trouble with this game for some reason, didn't look too deeply into it though.[/quote] Well, I'd support this feature specifically in NesHawk, for now. But cool, I'll look into doing that soon. It is a feature I wanted to do for awhile now, but wanted a concrete use case first.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3521)
I just realized this run doesn't make it to the credits, oops. I really only saved about 200 frames, not 600. Anyway I will cancel it for now pending the implementation of ram initialization in Bizhawk.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!