Addams Family time!!
My previous run was the first time attack I made. And today (or maybe in a week or two) it's one year since I started to time attack games. A year of time attacking gives some experience :D
I don't know why but I like this game. Maybe because it's pretty fun to search the different areas in the house and collecting various stuff.
Some word of the game maybe. You play as Gomez who is gonna save his wife (or whatever) from that evil dude in the basement. To be able to reach that evil guy Gomez must collect 1 million dollars, because they have a security door for some reason, in the basement and the door will only open if you weigh in your big pile of money. Thus I have to collect loads of money throughout the run. And on top of that! The big steel door can only be unlocked by Pugsley, who needs to be shrinked. The shrinking potion is made of a "Bone", an ugly "Blue Egg" and some "Fog". Awesome.
This game is also VERY hard! Even though it might seem like a simple game. This is because Gomez takes damage from everything basically. And he (and/or) the enemies is bigger than they appear so sometimes I have to wait for them before I can proceed. One example of this is in the area before "The Pond". There are several tomatoes in the trees and this time I jumped "over" them to save time, but I had to wait that long before moving forward because else I would have taken damage.
I managed to shave a minute off from my old run. This is because of several things.
First: I did everything more precise and also changed a few minor things. For example I pick up two money bags in "The Landing" different because then I don't have to backtrack for a few pixels.
Second: I discovered a nice glitch that allows me to jump through certain walls. This is only doable in "The Freezer" though since the slippery floor force me to slide. I still have to wait for the snowballs on my way to rescue Wednesday but the waiting is shorter now and it looks much better.
Third: I used "Thing" different. I wasted him one time at the Attic this time but that was really useful because then I could skip some minor delays caused by the evil bats.
Forth: I found a new shortcut that allowed me to not backtrack that much to save Pugsley. Also I could use my waiting time here better, collecting some money.
And hmm, that's what I can think of now.. Oh, and I actually die one time :P Can you spot where?
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Doesn't die..
  • Abusing programming errors in the game
Enjoy!
/Walker Boh

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #538: Walker Boh's NES Addams Family, The in 13:43.32
And hmm, that's what I can think of now.. Oh, and I actually die one time :P Can you spot where?
I believe it was when you ran into a door and a sword fell on you closer to the end of the movie. Also I liked the jumping through the wall glitch and better health management. Great job!
Former player
That's correct, the sword killed me but it was fine because the screen changed. Thanks for the comment.
/Walker Boh
Emulator Coder
Still exactly 1m :P nice.
Player (67)
Heheh. This game is so bad, it's funny. But this is a nice run, even though it isn't terribly entertaining, But that's just because of the game. Since there's already a published run that is significantly slower, this one gets a "yes, duh" vote from me
Ugh. Just. . .ugh. This is a horrific game. I mean, the run itself is good and all, but the game. . . Just. . . The only redeeming quality of this horrific movie tie-in is the fact that one of the songs played later ended up in Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt on the Super. No big assessment this time around. This game just sicken and irritates me too much to try and critique it properly. . . Final Vote: Meh.(Changed from No.) Reasons: This is a horrible game. Why Ocean made this game is beyond me. This game comes close to physically sickening me. The speed run is proably very, very good, but for Christ's sakes. . . The game. . . The game is the problem! Aside from that, the game just seems far too boring to make a properly interesting speed run. There aren't enough glitches to exploit, or enough action to really make it interesting. Still, it's not very fair of me to instantly say "No". . . So I'm changing my vote, at least post-wise(seeing as I can't change the poll vote. . .). Sorry about that. Advice: Play a different game if you value your health. XD Edit: Know what? I'm changing my vote. Or would be, if I could do so in the poll. I jumped the gun a little. Sorry.
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look. -=( http://jolikmc.tumblr.com )=-
Former player
I quite liked the game when I was young. Those blasted bars of soap are EVIL.
i liked this run. and the dying glitch was quite funny. while i agree the game is bad, this game was played well so it gets a yes from me.
Skilled player (1404)
Gee, I'd hate to see your response to my two current submissions, Joeseph! :P
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
As long as it's not Where's Waldo? for the NES or something. . . That game gave me a headache back when I rented it in my youth.
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look. -=( http://jolikmc.tumblr.com )=-
Former player
Very nice - I remember the roof from my youth knocking you back to the entrance. What a pain. Anyway, much improvement. (Who's the no vote?) EDIT: Here's a something: When you first enter the attic you go out of your way to grab a bundle of money and backtrack to the bottom when there is one right above your head that you skip. Since you end with exactly 1 million, it seems like you could have gotten this first one instead, no?
Former player
The first one is worth 100 dollars, the one I take at the top of the screen is worth 500 dollars.
/Walker Boh
Former player
Oh, and that's obvious too. Shows how much I was paying attention. Sorry :)
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [294] NES The Addams Family by Walker Boh in 13:43.32
Former player
Wow, that was fast. Well, to answer some of your questions, if there are any left?
Joseph Collins wrote:
Ugh. Just. . .ugh. This is a horrific game. I mean, the run itself is good and all, but the game. . . Just. . . The only redeeming quality of this horrific movie tie-in is the fact that one of the songs played later ended up in Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt on the Super. No big assessment this time around. This game just sicken and irritates me too much to try and critique it properly. . .
Well, I still like the game ;) And if you don't like it, that's fine for me.
Joseph Collins wrote:
Final Vote: Meh. Reasons: This is a horrible game. Why Ocean made this game is beyond me. This game comes close to physically sickening me. The speed run is proably very, very good, but for Christ's sakes. . . The game. . . The game is the problem! Aside from that, the game just seems far too boring to make a properly interesting speed run. There aren't enough glitches to exploit, or enough action to really make it interesting.
Please keep in mind that this run is an improvement of an already published run. I'm aware that people tend to find this game boring to watch but I still likes it (as stated above) and it is much harder than it seems.
Joseph Collins wrote:
Advice: Play a different game if you value your health. XD
I'm going to ignore your "advice" ;)
Joseph Collins wrote:
Edit: Know what? I'm changing my vote. Or would be, if I could do so in the poll. I jumped the gun a little. Sorry.
Thank you. And im not trying to force you to change your vote but just to defend my own run ;P Anyways, thanks for the comments.
BoltR wrote:
I quite liked the game when I was young. Those blasted bars of soap are EVIL.
Yeah, who would thought that soaps of all things could be evil and instant lethal?!
/Walker Boh
I'm bothered that games like these get published while not-as-perfect runs of more interesting games get voted down. I thought the point of the voting system was for quality control.
Post subject: judging explained
Editor, Active player (296)
Booda wrote:
I'm bothered that games like these get published while not-as-perfect runs of more interesting games get voted down. I thought the point of the voting system was for quality control.
Improvements to movies that have already been published are almost never turned down, especially when the author stays the same. As for new movies, they're processed in nonspecified order. Movies which I'm interested about (such as Simon's Quest was) have high chance to be judged very soon. I'll usually encode them right after watching, if they're accepted. Movies which I'm not interested about are judged slowly and based almost only on the votes. In this explanation, extrapolate "I" for all judges.
Former player
Booda wrote:
I have learned this more since I started to time attack and maybe (not always though) I try to pick more interesting games. But I usually end up playing the games I like. In my opinion (and no, I'm not a judge) I think that movies that is improved should be published, what else is the point of improve stuff?
/Walker Boh
Former player
Booda wrote:
not-as-perfect runs...
...shouldn't be published
Yeah, I don't mean to criticize the system, it's just that there's a lot of games that've been in the workbench for a long time that I want to see published. It's frustrating is all.
Emulator Coder
I suggest and hope you go into the threads which this concerns and ask for a final verdict then.
Walker Boh wrote:
Joseph Collins wrote:
Edit: Know what? I'm changing my vote. Or would be, if I could do so in the poll. I jumped the gun a little. Sorry.
Thank you. And im not trying to force you to change your vote but just to defend my own run ;P
Yeah. . . I'm definately going to be a little more prudent with speedruns I don't like, next time. Again, sorry.
The movie keeps desycing for me in the attic. What version of FCE should I be using? It didn't mention any, so I just used fceu-0.98.15-rerecording. What ROM was used? The checksum matched, so I assumed the vid would work, but Gomez keeps killing himself up there.
Life is like a box of chocolates-when you want peanut butter, all you get is coconut.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
.15 didn't exist when this movie was made. I'm almost certain it was .12 (.12 was used until about january of this year)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Yeah, that worked. I know some do, but I think all video descriptions should have the version used displayed if it's not the current one.
Life is like a box of chocolates-when you want peanut butter, all you get is coconut.