(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
First submission, thought I would start with my 100% level run of Yoshi's Island 2-E. 100% means 30 stars, 20 red coins and 5 flowers. I did it for IL theory, because IL rules start with no eggs and changes the pipe room drastically. I am pretty happy with this knowing sub 40 is possible, even though it's still a 39.97s. The thing about this is that it is my second TAS of this level. I decided to remake it after making myself a previous theory TAS that I thought was good, but i ended up beating it and scoring myself a WR IL time. I tried playing around with the flower at the end and it looks like a half flutter is required to get the coins and the flower. No other TAS/theory has done it in a faster way so that will have to do.
No warps, damage boosting, passwords, items or glitches are used in this run.
Making it was fun. Not too hard because I made the pipe room strats in real time in console before. Although months ago i had to make a strategy that worked, because any other way than what I do will despawn the final egg. That took a long time to find a strategy that was fast and worked. I did find a way at one point to get 30 stars and not use the final box for a few, but unfortunately the final egg does not spawn.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
"Emulator used: Snes9X 1.4.0.0" 1) Snes9X 1.4.0.0 doesn't exist. 2) You probably used Snes9X 1.43, which isn't accepted at all. 3) You just played one level, which also isn't acceptable.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Editor, Experienced player (817)
http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html
MovieRules wrote:
Snes9x v1.43 movie files are deprecated and not accepted, unless a continuance is granted.
MovieRules wrote:
Your movie should begin from the console power-on and end when the last decisive action has been delivered. There are no specific rules for an exact endpoint but it must adhere to the following rules: It must beat the game (1-level movies that don't finish the game are rejected).
MovieRules wrote:
We do not allow save-anchored movies. We want a standard starting point for movies (power-on). Saves introduce an infinite amount of possible variation that may cause the game to behave differently compared to starting from power-on. They can also can be hacked, allowing nearly transparent cheating.
theroundcube
He/Him
yea ok i'll delete it. i like this game, and TAS'ing a few things that catch my eye but ill be honest, jesus this website is a pain in the butt. i probably sound like i am complaining or something but i don't understand why IL's cannot be submitted
Invariel
He/Him
Editor, Site Developer, Player (169)
Individual levels are rejected for two reasons: 1) They do not begin from a power-on state. 2) They do not complete the game. The work you have done on the level looks good (based solely on the level encode -- I do not TAS SMW2) and if you were to apply that to a run of the entire game, it would by definition be a compilation of your individual level world records. Please do not be discouraged by this, take the feedback as it is, and come back with something incredible.
I am still the wizard that did it. "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -- Satoru Iwata <scrimpy> at least I now know where every map, energy and save room in this game is
fsvgm777
She/Her
By the way, if you run this game on console, you probably know that Snes9X 1.43 is a very inaccurate emulator (nevermind the fact it's 12 years old) and that you should've probably used either lsnes or BizHawk instead. (as a side note, Snes9X 1.43 is banned from SpeedRunsLive)
theroundcube
He/Him
alright well i dont see any form of deleting links. ill just leave it and let whoever rejects these things handle it
fsvgm777
She/Her
Just change the movie status (just below "Extra edit privileges") to "decision: cancelled". Furthermore, if you wish to upload WIPs or ILs or whatever, have a nice link to the userfiles (the upload form is at the very bottom of the page). (pardon the harsh tone in my posts, by the way, it's just that I very much favour emulation accuracy)
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... sweet!
theroundcube
He/Him
alright done. and Invariel you are right about me doing a lot of work on this level. I have both any% and 100% wr il times. thanks everyone for rules and help stuff.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
https://youtu.be/b-G3I_jf7F0?t=1h53m34s Current 100% TAS does this level like 6-7 seconds faster. Just saying. EDIT: IL setting, right. Still could probably be improved by a couple seconds.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
theroundcube
He/Him
ah but that is RTA rules. IL rules state that you cannot go into a level having eggs. this drastically changes how the pipe room must be preformed. edit:ah i see. you saw. couple seconds? i would honestly like to see this. really. super edit: it is also trying to be human friendly. i failed to mention that. the carl sagan TAS is not human friendly due to the wall jumps.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Oh, it appears you actually used Snes9X 1.51. Nevermind me for assuming you did it on 1.43 (I actually was confused about the bizarre emulator version, so I assumed it was 1.43). So....apologies for that.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
theroundcube wrote:
edit:ah i see. you saw. couple seconds? i would honestly like to see this. really.
Or you could try doing it again and be surprised at how much time you'll save. Trust me. You'll save time.
super edit: it is also trying to be human friendly. i failed to mention that. the carl sagan TAS is not human friendly due to the wall jumps.
Even more of a reason not to submit here, aside from us not accepting ILs in the first place. If you're trying to make some sort of godly RTA run, stick it on Userfiles and hand it over to the respective community, but if you're actually trying to get a run published here, you want to optimize it to the same level as our current 100% run.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
Check out the useful Game Resource page of Yoshi's Island, if you want to improve it further. One example would be the acceleration from standing still (start of a room, etc.), which is faster with an input like
< > > > > < > > > < > > > < > > > < > > > < > > _ > > > > ...
(when going to the right)
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
There's a reason why TASes can take years to complete.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
xy2_ wrote:
MovieRules wrote:
They can also can be hacked, allowing nearly transparent cheating.
Somebody remove the second “can” from that phrase.