Submission Text Full Submission Page
Emulator used - fceu-0.98.12-blip.win

About the game:
Battletoads is the game known to be very hard and few people have actually beaten it. It features a female villain and a lot of humorous dialogues.
Features:
- Uses warps
- No damage taken (takes hits to save time, but no damage there)
- Abuses programming errors in the game
- Manipulates luck

This run is faster than 2p warps for 3 reasons:
- You dont have to kill player 2 on level 11.
- The jumps are much more precise which add up a lot at the end.
- I can do the headbutt as a small jump wherever i want, unlike on the 2p version, because they hit each other.

The Bugs and odd stuff about the game:
- When running, instantly press the opposite direction you're running + B to give a backwards headbutt. Its usefull on many places and is used on level 11 boss to prevent getting inside the boss, which would result on a shock damage.
- On level 10 (Rat Race), simply kill any running rat and the game will think you killed a boss, which abruptly ends the level.
- Run towards the jet on level 3 (Turbo Tunnel), or the surf board on level 5 (Surf City) and jump right before hitting it, it results on an incredibly high jump out of the screen. This bug is surprisingly present on Snes Battletoads & Double Dragon game too. It's used here just for fun.
- Pressing left+right causes some weird behavior on the characters leading them to apparently change planes, and this is used on level 9 (Terra Tubes) to ignore helicopters and rubber ducks wherever possible.
- Its possible to move around while ducking, and this allows to go through sprite walls. Checkpoints still need to be touched though, or else the game crashes on the next checkpoint, or, if its the end of the level, it wont be active. So i get through walls and wait on the other side, which saves some time.
- On Arctic Caverns (level 4), theres a yellow spike on the ceiling which can be passed through as long as Down is being pressed, even if you're not really ducking.
- Even if you touch a spike and aparently die, it takes some time to actually deduct a life from the lives counter, so if the level ends before the life is deducted, the game will go to next level and the life wont be deducted at all. This is used to save time.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #539: nesrocks's NES Battletoads in 14:50.80
I think this is a well played movie. Though I haven't played this game it is pretty obvius this is not possible on a cansole. Vote: Yes
Bein' away for like five years, and not a single new post in the ZSNES forum... :'-(
Former player
Here's the dilemma I'm looking at. There are several possibilities for completing this game, and as discussed many times, there are several possibilities for completing any game, with or without warps. SMB1 is simple to calculate - speed with warps and speed without. So, there's not too much else except for points, which is lame, so I won't mention it (oops). Contra is another good example - single player and multiplayer runs would each be fun to watch. Metroid touches on the complicated side a bit - pure speed, 100%, bossless, and 1% runs have all been performed. I believe it was decided that a bossless run was redundant, so it was deemed the new pure speed run, pending the release of a faster speed run. And here we are with Battletoads. The problem here is that we're looking at the same stages with the same battles over and over again. With Metroid, you have different routes, with SMB, you have everything and not everything, with Contra...well, Contra's just too cool to have too many runs. But after the first couple of stages, Battletoads turns into a memorized obstacle course rather than distinguishable, varying levels of fighting. The bonus with this run is the pure speed - because of the 2nd player bug on level 11, the two player run can't possibly be faster than the single player run, even with twice the fighting power on the bosses. So, a single player, warping run is the fastest possible route for finishing the game, and therefore worth publishing. That said, for aesthetics and randomness, I think it's important to watch (in any game) how two players can work together to accomplish the same goal, and it's mucho fun-o to watch one player throwing the other around like a rag doll. Because this would be more of a visual demonstration, more fun to watch than exciting, it doesn't matter how fast it is and would be even more fun to explore every level in the game - especially in a game like Battletoads, which incorporates every possible game mechanic under the sun. So, in a nutshell, I'm voting "Yes" for this, but with hopes that the categories for Battletoads are set in stone with the following two categories: 1-player, warping 2-player, warpless Sorry that got long.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
2 player warpless for god's sake hehehehe thats a lot of work :P BUT I know of a 7 seconds shortcut that only works on the 2 players run, not gonna tell anyone because i'm making it for the competition at nintendo records. I will have to go back all the way to level 3 in order to make it, though... so... is there an interest on 2p warpless?????? if so, i wouldnt remake 2p warps, i would instead make a 2p warpless and put that shortcut on it :S Phil said hes making a 1p warps (just like this one) and he said he probably can make it faster :) but i found a small shortcut for this one too!! So, the fight is not over ;) (this shortcut can be used on all battletoads run though) And warpless runs can have a different route which wasnt used on the warpless 1p i made (havent tested the route, but i think its obviously faster). so... there are still some new things about this game. Total of 3 that i know of: 1 can only be used at 2 players, 1 can only be used at warpless, and the other one can be used on any battletoads run. ------------------------------------------------ EDIT: i somehow have seemed to miss the point of your post. Now i see it, and i shall comment on it: I think you are right. But the reason it was made 1p warpless and 2p warps is that the first version made was 2p warps. The reasons are clear enough to me: they planned to have only 1 movie for battletoads. Warps for speed + 2 players for fun. I then made the next different thing: 1p and warpless. It was all inverted. I believe that with fceu it is not THAT hard to pull off a 2p warpless. I only want to know if everyone else agrees on this. I really like the idea of having only those 2 videos (1p warps, 2p warpless). If everyone agrees, i will make 2p warpless.
Active player (410)
Well, I don't know what is those shortcuts but count on me that I will find them :>)
Skilled player (1404)
I vote on 1p warp 2p warpless. One for speed, the other for fun.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Former player
Yeah - backwards from what it is right now. Anything else might seem redundant.
I hate to say this but, given that the 2nd player can't even finish the game, is a 2p run really necessary?
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Former player
You should watch the current vid - a second player can finish the game, just not play on level 11.
Active player (410)
I am voting meh because I'm gonna beat that one. ;)
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Active player (410)
:D