Emulator used: fceu-0.98.12-blip.win

Features:
- Played mode B untill end of track 5 (it repeats forever).
- Aims for fastest time
- Takes damage to save time (i crash at the end of first track, there was no way around it)
- Times for each track were:
0 = 38.92 (easy version of track 1)
1 = 43:74
2 = 45:21
3 = 44:59
4 = 44:73
5 = 36:51

How it works:
- B button heats the engine, A button heats it 50% only.
- B button accelerates to max speed faster than A.
- When at max speed on the ground, its best to hold A, so the engine doesn't heat.
- When lower or higher than max speed on the ground, hold B.
- When in the air, hold right only.(let go the accelerators)
- Just before landing, press left for 1 frame, hold B when the bike lands.
- The "H" type ramps are the ones that give extra speed. They are those small ones and there are 3 of them for each lap on the first track.
- Changing lanes while in the air (not while going up a ramp) changes the length of the jump: If you change lanes down, you will land further. If you change lanes up, you will land earlier. Landing further is used on almost every ramp and bumps possible, unless its desireable to land earlier (in order to get ramps for example, or to not crash). going lanes down is used to stay in air as much as possible, thus giving the least engine heat.
Special thanks to Superninja for previous movie and everyone at the Nesvideos forums.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #542: nesrocks's NES Excitebike in 05:57.93
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
and here is the total improvement for each track: Track 0 = 01:27 s Track 1 = 01:68 s Track 2 = 05:04 s Track 3 = 06:43 s Track 4 = 01:91 s Track 5 = 00:14 s
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
another explanation: landing further only increases the amount of time spent in the air, the horizontal speed is not increased, the only reason i do that is to get the least engine heat possible.
you did it FODA, really a marvelous and unbeatable JOb. I did critise over last submission. Because I knew that you can do better. and you did. I take this Movie as "Best of the Month" And i recommend to start a section featuring Best of Month/Week. Goog Luck for your future submissions.
Radz.
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (768)
Yes, it looks fantastic. I too would like to see 'star' movies handled a bit differently - such as by having a monthly topic for evaluations and nominations.
Looks much better than before, I'm very impressed.
Even better than the last one. Your bike barely touches the ground for the last lap and a half of Track 5. Great job.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
I can only wonder why this hasnt been published yet :p
Editor, Active player (296)
FODA: How does this movie compare to your existing published movie? Should it obsolete it? Is the first track the same?
Post subject: Re: handling of 'star' movies.
Arc wrote:
I too would like to see 'star' movies handled a bit differently - such as by having a monthly topic for evaluations and nominations.
I refuse. The stars are intended for firsttime viewers to help spot the most interesting pieces of entertainment among this collection. Movies which have been granted a star can not lose them in any other way than being beaten. We're playing 20 years old games here. Gaming sites and magazines forget old games, as if they somehow degrade during time, but the Nesvideos site is different. At the Nesvideos site, we recognize that old games that were fun once are still fun (there's nothing "retro" about them, they're just good games) (albeit, we do have a warped way of handling them), and therefore I think it's right to think that the fun-does-not-degrade aspect applies to movies too. (Don't take this as absolute truth - I'm starting to doubt whether my nomination of the Rockman 2 movie is right anymore.)
Active player (277)
Oh, I always liked the Rockman 2 video. I would say it definitely deserves that star. My only worry is that the newly discovered glitches might eventually make the game LESS fun to watch because there's not enough normal gameplay going on.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
bisqwit wrote:
I refuse...Movies which have been granted a star can not lose them in any other way than being beaten.
The decisision would still lie with the judges. It would simply open the discussion. Yet, there's nothing here now that prevents people from starting such a topic, so I think it's just fine. If someone wants to recommend a star, they can just start a thread about it and everyone can throw in their opinions. As for the video, FODA, great job - definite yes. (I still don't think it's necessary, however, to have a run for track 1 and this track 6 run - this one covers everything.)
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (768)
What I wrote seems to have been interpreted differently than I intended. I wasn't suggesting that the movies currently with stars should be reevaluated. Starred movies should keep their stars. I am just saying that perhaps at the end of each month, the movies that were submitted during that month (and any previously submitted movies that lack a star) should be discussed to determine whether or not any of them deserve to be added to the star group.
Arc wrote:
I am just saying that perhaps at the end of each month, the movies that were submitted during that month (and any previously submitted movies that lack a star) should be discussed to determine whether or not any of them deserve to be added to the star group.
Ah, well this is a better idea. :)
Former player
I misunderstood as well - I agree, once something is granted a star, it shouldn't be taken away. But again, nominating a star is something we can do now. I remember seeing someone posting "I think this should get a star" in the NES games forum. It doesn't need to happen for every video, but for the ones that really stand out, anyone can start the discussion.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
bisqwit, the currently published excitebike video is track 1, 40.19 seconds. i submitted a track 1 38.92 seconds one, but it is 100% contained on this submission, so this is the only submission that shouldbe published for excitebike (untill someone makes it faster, of course)
Thanks. Publishing soon. And by the way, tripping at the end of the level is not a bad thing. It's a good thing. I've always tried to do that but never succeeded :)
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [297] NES Excitebike by nesrocks in 05:57.93
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
bisqwit, its easy to trip at the end, just do excess wheelie before going up the ramp ;)
This run was awesome! I remember hacking it with a GameGenie back in the day so the engine didn't overheat to allow me to jump so high on my own custom built track that I could loop the bike around the screen from top to bottom - and the run almost did that without the GG! Skuzz
I rule.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Hehe thanks, but in fact the run really does that. Looping from top to bottom, 3 times i think.
FODA wrote:
Hehe thanks, but in fact the run really does that. Looping from top to bottom, 3 times i think.
Ha! My bad - I must have missed those - I was watching the run on a friend's computer while multitasking and doing other things. I'll watch it again! I got downright insane with the GG hack (which of course isn't allowed in the forums but it was still über-fun to play with!) and I'd get to the point of looping 5-6 times across the screen in one jump hehehe.
I rule.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Thats weird because the game doesnt allow so. While you're going up if you run into a "ground" the ground will just grab the bike so you stop going up. You probably looped 5 or 6 times by taking 5 or 6 ramps :)
FODA wrote:
Thats weird because the game doesnt allow so. While you're going up if you run into a "ground" the ground will just grab the bike so you stop going up. You probably looped 5 or 6 times by taking 5 or 6 ramps :)
You're probably right about that! It was like - at least 12 years ago when I did that so I can't guarantee my memory stored the constant looping right. I'll have to find the GG codes I used and pop them into the emulator and try it. I know I did make a custom level that composed of all jumps, so it probably happend like you said - just hitting jump, flying around, and hitting another jump just right so it looked like looping. Man - now I really wanna dink around with that game's goofy physics again!
I rule.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
There's a movie with a custom made track in my page. It contain various loops without GG http://www.angelfire.com/ex/uobt/superplayvideos.htm