Submission Text Full Submission Page
Super Mario World 64 is the 64th game in the iconic series of Super Mario World games, notable for being on a rival console.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Bizhawk 1.11.5
  • Heavy glitch abuse
  • Takes damage to save time
Supe Mario World 64 is a bootleg. Not much to say about it; it's also notable and 'popular' for its horrendous control scheme and being consisted entirely of stolen music.

Mechanics, tricks and glitches

Like what the title suggests, this game is mostly a complete ripoff of SMW, with worse controls.

Movement

Mario can walk by holding either left or right. This is walking speed, at a grueling pace of 1px/f. Like SMW, the P-meter, a value in 0114 in memory tracks Mario's movement: it increases for each frame of movement. If it reaches 64, Mario starts running at 1.5px/f, and if it reaches 112 while holding A, Mario starts sprinting at a whooping 3px/f. An interesting thing is that, unlike SMW, Mario can actually gain running speed in midair (but not sprinting speed.)
While running or sprinting, if Mario stops, he will slide for a bit. This can be stopped by simply pressing Left+Right for one frame.
By crouching, Mario can carry over his speed for a bit (and still keep the P-meter intact if done for a sufficiently short amount of time.) Crouching is needed to go in 1-block gaps, even if Mario are small (for whatever reason.)

Jumping, bouncing

Mario has two jumps at his arsenal: the jump and the spin jump. Each of them makes horrendous sounds, with the spin jump sound being noticably worse (so I use it at every single opportunity.) While the jump can reach higher up, and has a more curved trajectory, the spin jump spends more time at peak height; this mean the usage of jump when at walking or running speed is situational. When at sprinting speed, the jump becomes superior, because it is the only one which can carry over sprinting speed.
One very annoying thing about jumping is that upon landing, the P-meter is reset to 0. This means whenever Mario jumps, he loses all his acceleration. This is not true in three cases: in the case where Mario bounces on an enemy, in which case he retains running speed (but not sprinting speed); in the case where Mario grabs a wireframe for one frame, as the game doens't have time to update the P-meter; or in the case of moving platforms or certain yellow blocks, which don't reset the P-meter.
While jumping, if Mario picks up an item while in mid-air, his animation is reset. This can allow him to make noticably bigger jumps.

Cape exploits

The cape itself is so broken it needs its separate section here.. it's as broken as the one in SMW, if not more.

3/7 gliding

If Mario jumps with the cape while not at sprinting speed, after reaching the peak of his jump, he will fall with his cape up. Pressing B while doing so will allow him to fall slower. Each time B is unpressed, C41F (the adress controlling animations) is reset to 0. If B is held when C41F goes up to 7, it will be reset to 0 (to simulate gliding.) Combining these two techniques togheter create 3/7 gliding (with both being the highest respective values C41F reach), allowing to carry Mario airbone for a much longer amount of time than normal gliding in case where getting sprinting speed is impossible.

Frame pumping

Pressing the opposite direction of Mario's facing direction (left if he is facing right) will make Mario pump his cape, then normally followed by him quickly depumping his cape (what would normally make a swoop.), making him slowly fall. However, by dropping the pump input for one frame, then pumping again, you can skip the 'depumping' and gain height very easily.

Cape clipping

Starting to fly while in cramped spaces will make Mario usually clip into the nearby block. In this case, he will fly upwards a little bit faster.

Fast dashing

While flying, holding Mario's facing direction will make him dash downwards very quickly in that direction. By alternating this direction and a blank frame (for example, R > blank > R) C41F is reset every frame, making Mario fall much slower (even slower than holding the opposite direction to slowly glide.)

Level-by-Level comments

Level 1 (Music: Super Mario World - Overworld)

The aim of the run is simple: jump as little as possible. If needed to jump, stay airbone as long as possible until there's an opportunity to gain sprinting speed.
Otherwhise, there's not a lot happening here, apart from a bounce chain in the middle of the level which saves a very large amount of time. You might notice I take damage at the Banzai Bill; this is intended, since damage boosting has no penalty.
At the end of the level, the game displays our HIT RATE and DEFEAT RATE, as in the number of times we have hit enemies and the number of killed enemies.

Level 2 (Music: Talespin (Genesis) - Jungle)

Pretty much the same stuff as in Level 1. There's more moving platforms here, so more occasions to get sprinting speed.

Level 3 (Music: Super Battletank - Main Theme & Talespin (Genesis) - Sea Duck)

Major abuse of frame wiregrabbing to retain running speed. This Level is dictated by a cycle, an unkillable red koop. I don't try to regain running speed after because of the backgrounds fireballs (which misleading can kill Mario.)

Level 4 (Music: Talespin (Genesis) - Jungle)

I get the cape, which is good because we get to see less of this shitty bootleg.

Level 5 (Music: Jeopardy- Final Jeopardy)

I fly over the level.

Level 6 (Music: Talespin (Genesis) - ???)

This is an annoying level because there's no way to fly over the level (you can do it, but there's no way back in.) As such, this level is mostly abuse of 3/7 gliding.
At the start of the level, I have to do a tight maneuveur with the poision mushroom, which follows Mario's every move, to keep him up and be able to gain sprinting speed.
Near the end of the level, I do a tricky cape fly to gain enough height to skip one part of the level, saving around 5 seconds.

Final Boss (Music: Talespin - Boss)

Suggested screenshots

Frame 3458, 8298, 9906, 21054, 23310

GoddessMaria: Judging...
xy2_: Cancelling due to improvements.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5098: xy2_'s Genesis Super Mario World 64 in 07:44.97
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
Finally the 64th one oh god thanks you!
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
I liked the 53th better...
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Actually took me a moment to register that the Jeopardy theme was playing in-game, not in my head as I wondered what the hell I was watching.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
Samsara wrote:
Actually took me a moment to register that the Jeopardy theme was playing in-game, not in my head as I wondered what the hell I was watching.
Truly, a masterpiece among game soundtracks.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1522)
What did I just watch? Meh vote?
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
This is like baby's first Mario romhack, but with awful sound and physics. Meh vote in terms of entertainment. You seemed to do your best, but Mario just moves too slow. Every level drags on.
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
I am pretty impressed by how good this game is graphic-wise. The addition of poisonous mushroom and the fact that the final boss is replaced by... something other than the typical Bowser fight are also great. Sega does what Nintendon't!
d-feather
He/Him
This game, like many other bootlegs, is an enigma to me. I've seen Joel of Vinesauce play this game before, so I knew what I was expecting from the start. Also, I'm pretty sure the sixth level's music is from Kid Chameleon. Its instruments sounded familiar to me, even if I've never played that game. Anyway, the run. It's interesting to see another unlicensed game get TASed, but I gave this run a meh due to this game being boring in comparison to the real Super Mario World.
:shrug: I'm more active on Twitter nowadays: @HunterCoates5
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
I'm voting Meh... I have a few issues with this run:
  • Doesn't get Orb in YI1
  • Wait a minute why are we in YI3 already
  • That's not how Iggy works !!
  • Hit Rate, Defeat Rate ???
  • Doesn't get 99 lives
  • Doesn't use cloud in the Bows... in the... uuuh... wait what is this even
  • "game end (looks like a) glitch"
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Sooo bad is actually fun to watch. The physics were absurd and that's what made me watch it.
Editor, Expert player (2312)
Editor, Expert player (2001)
This game makes me uncomfortable. It's also kind of slow. Meh vote.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
I swear, these jumping sound effects sound like something off a Windows 3.11 game or something. Oh, and my vote? Meh~
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Glitcher
He/Him
Why is it called Super Mario 64 when it's basically a clone of Super Mario World? A shitty Super Mario World at that. Voting no.
Experienced player (630)
genesis does what nintendon't, me votes meh cuz there was no ace
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
PJ
He/Him
Playing a physical copy of this game was one of the most confusing experiences of my life. This is the hardest game ever "made". Mario fights you every step of the way. He really is not happy about being put in this game and is looking for revenge wherever possible. It was really "nice" to see the rest of this "game". I was definitely entertained.
Dwedit
He/Him
I'm pretty sure that music is from The Little Mermaid, not Tale Spin. http://www.project2612.org/details.php?id=618 track 04
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
GET N OR GET OUT!
Skilled player (1404)
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Mecha_Richter
He/Him
I voted yes as I have also played this game, and it handles like horrible.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
It's heavily improveable. Without putting any effort into it, I did level 1 219 frames faster. Improvemts come from extending jump lenght by releasing B on very specific frame after jumping; not losing momentum with spin-jumping.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... om, nom, nom... nom nom