Vice: Project Doom is multi-faceted game with platforming, top down driving, and side scrolling shoot-em-up stages. The curent run is about a 5.5 second improvement over the published run due mainly to lag reduction.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.2
  • Beat the game as fast as possible
(I won't be providing a temp encode as it looks practically identical to the published run.)

Comments

This game was suggested to me a few months ago as having possibly a lot of room for optimization as you can save about 1 second just in optimized menuing on the title screen. However, after that it quickly became a struggle to save frames as Sonikkustar had done quite a good job optimizing routing and lag reduction. Originally I wasn't going to bother continuing the run but since I needed a break from Battletoads and lost all my files I decided to give it a try. Ultimately I saved about 5 more seconds over the course of the game, mostly in lag reduction from slight strategy changes, but also a little in gameplay improvement as well.
The mechanics of this game are quite strange. Sometimes you can jump higher while pressing select, sometimes your inputs get eaten, and sometimes you can get different results by doing seemingly inconsequential things. Overall though it seems like it would be a fun and challenging game to play real time, it's pretty unique.
I also removed the subtitles as they no longer seemed relevant.

Tompa: I'll judge.
Tompa: Unfortunately, this submission missed the game's 25 year anniversary by one day. Clearly evidence of bad planning for the TAS. I'm forced to reject this.
Or not... Accepting as an improvement to the published run =).
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5103: Sonikkustar & Alyosha's NES Vice: Project Doom in 12:30.23
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
As someone who left a lot of comments on the published run's discussion forum, I'm quite happy to see an improvement here. I haven't had a chance to see this yet, and it's a bit of a shame that there weren't more strategy changes that paid off. Good job anyway at optimizing a laggy game.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Oh nice you finished it. I can say I did enjoy the improvements of this movie. Yes Vote.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3133] NES Vice: Project Doom by Sonikkustar & Alyosha in 12:30.23