The following is being pasted from my last submission, with a few small edits:
Here is my second attempt at a timeattack for Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse. This version is over three minutes faster than its predecessor, partly due to tighter routes and gameplay, but mostly due to the fact that you can skip all dialogue (which Kyrsimys reminded me of). The game is a basic YB platformer where Mickey searches for his dog Pluto using an array of special suits. This game has the most pessimistic guide character in any game I have ever played. "You won't be able to get your dog back. Save yourself." It's a good thing you won't have to listen to him this time.
For the most part, the levels are straightforward. Running is faster than walking (duh), and so using declines to gain speed is best. Jumping conserves speed, so whenever I'm on flat land or on an incline, I'll use this technique to save speed. I take the occasional hit to save time, but since every level only warrants two hits until death, you wont see much of that. Each boss fight was done differently/faster this time, and you'll notice it if you watched the first movie.
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Plays on hardest difficulty
  • Takes damage to save time
For reference, here are the locations where I take hits and the reasoning for them:
  • Level 1-2: It is faster to dive on to the spikes and then just barely run to safe ground than it is to activate and ride the tomatos.
  • Level 2-4: Getting hit here allows me to pass through the spider boss and perform the ultra-headsmash.
  • Level 3-3: Waiting for the wall of fire takes too much time. It's easier to get hit and go around the hit animation using the water as a buffer.
  • Level 6-2: Obviously faster to fall so many screens, take a hit, and walk to the exit. The walls are instant kill, so they are no good, and the only well placed enemy was the one I hit.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #546: Zurreco's SNES Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse in 17:34.47
xou
that movie seems good to me. But why getting hit by spider boss ?
hello world !
Former player
I used to play this game alot when I was younger, so this is a movie I really would like to see published! However I haven't watched it so I can't vote yes even though I want to.
/Walker Boh
Player (70)
Good movie indeed. The only thing I can think of is the following: Woulden't it be faster to just wait for the spider in order to do that super stomp thing on him instead of shooting at him which makes him stop for a while? Anyways. This is a YES-vote from me.
Former player
Ahh the long awaited Magical Quest run. It sure looks great, much better (obviously) than the previous version. I can now see that the strategy I suggested for 6-3 (using one of the cannonballs to boost you to the upper ledge so you wouldn't need to squirt the grey block forwards) would have been a lot slower than the way you handled things. I've really got no complaints, awesome job! PS. Your submission text says you take a hit in 5-2 as you obviously mean 6-2. Just clearing that up.
Ooooh I loved this game. Watching now :) Edit: Had to leave part way through, just finished it now. Loved it!
Definitely the best of all Mickey Mouse games.
Former player
I liked this game back when I played it years ago, and I liked the run. I think this should definately be accepted.
I loved the run. I voted yes.
Not the most exciting movie, but it does look perfect. That's a Yes.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Nothing bad to say here. Yes from me.
"We observe the behaviour of simple folk, and derive pleasure from their defects." -Aristotle - Book of Humour
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [299] SNES The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse by Zurreco in 17:34.47
Former player
I played this game a lot as a kid and the run is great! Good job.
/Walker Boh
xou wrote:
that movie seems good to me. But why getting hit by spider boss ?
I have the same question. And the boss sometimes disappeared under the attack, I wonder if this is a bug of this game?
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
*points upwards* "Level 2-4: Getting hit here allows me to pass through the spider boss and perform the ultra-headsmash."
Post subject: About the 6.38 "Glitch" thingy
Uhm that cant be the game ,, maybe it is the Emulator or the rom Or u hacking the Game :S ? *hope not* Cuz ive played that before both on REAL snes and PC Snes and i have never seen the glitch thingy before :S
Former player
The ROM skips a beat from time to time. You'll see it happen about 3 times in the movie. THere is no hacking here. It's not possible with the current set up.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Oh :S okay yeah in 12:04 i saw one again are u sure that the one who did this movie aint Hacking ? :S like cheat ? :D it doesnt look like it i mean he just RUns :D trough the game but um -.S i dont know
Former player
Seems like you missed the point of this site. You should read the Why And How page Here.
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
Hey ogreslayer i read that long ago but this is also a forum ,, where u can discuss any sort of things so whats the problem i was just considering options,, i NEVER said he CHEATED
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
The movie file only contains the keypresses. It's not possible to hack the game trough those. That you haven't seen a particular glitch before is a very poor indicator of existance. New glitches are discovered with almost every run on this site.
Well i aint haning on this Site to Whine im here to Se Professionals PLay the shit outta games i like and worship
Active player (277)
It can only go down from here, Cordax
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
"It can only go down from here, Cordax" What do u mean ?