-FCE Ultra Emulation -No warps or passwords -Barely any programming error abuse -Damage to save time -No deaths or restarts
The gameplay is terrible, but at least it's on the faster side of many movies (under the 10 minute mark). Much like other titles from Toei animation (Puss 'N Boots), the engine is flawed in that the hero jumps faster than he walks, thus encouraging constant fighting off the ground, but fortunately, there's no accompanying sound, so it doesn't get obnoxious. It reminds me more of a more fluid Legend of Kage than a Puss 'N Boots.
The advantage to the game over many others in the genre is the way in which the hero is damaged. When hit by a projectile, it knocks the character many pixels more in one direction than he ordinarily could move, so with proper timing, taking a precise hit can shoot him forward a good distance. Unfortunately, because the screen needs to be centered before any forward action can be triggered (bosses, etc.), it doesn't do much good, apart from getting him past a cluster of enemies.
There are only a few things that make the movie difficult, the most prominent of which is the extraordinarily difficult bosses. Face shots take off more damage. A connected attack from the enemy will send the hero flying to the other side of the screen. As luck would have it, though, close proximity makes every character in the game retreat, so with good jump timing, it's simple to trap them in a corner, or simply jump and attack while they slowly back away. The first and second bosses have "sweet spots," where they can be backed into a corner by positioning the character properly, creating a loop of forward and reverse movements from the bosses with no follow-up attacks. After stage two, however, the difficulty increases and I couldn't find any such spots (especially on level 3). The only other option is to hide in the corner and wail away at an approaching enemy. This only proves effective if you can position yourself in the corner before the boss is triggered and infilct enough destructive power before your energy is withered away. I chose this route mainly for the sub-bosses of each stage, because the power level is completely filled upon their defeat, so no loss at all. The main bosses are simply too strong to attempt this. So, mostly it's getting close enough to maintain constant backward movement from the opponent while still keeping enough distance to be able to inflict damage (which you can't do if you're right on top of them), and even more not allowing them to attack (which will send you flying). Needless to say, there's a lot of improvising.
Another flaw is the platform design. When up is pressed and the player jumps, his footing position is established. If he goes below this position, he reverts back to the walking stance, as well as the slower walking stride. This makes falling or jumping off platforms very slow, so it's performed as little as possible and only as needs insisted.
There is a small glitch in design involving the holes in any ceiling. They can be scaled and you can walk and jump above the roof, but it's never practical because enemies are so easily avoided, and eventually, it only leads to the slow falling off platforms. I perform this only on level six and only once to show off a bit. It's only a couple of frames slower as a result and looks decent.
One last solid point of time-attacking this game is the multitude of dance moves you can make the hero perform. Because his attacks consist entirely of kicks and punches, complete with whiffing air sound bytes, and the number of different standing, walking, and jumping sprites are vast, "wobbling" and dancing can vary with every pause in the game (and there is one after every sub-boss and main boss). I tried to mix it up as much as possible, but I still didn't tap into all of my resources.
Hope you enjoy.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #547: -ziplock-'s NES Fist Of The North Star in 07:47.22
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Interesting, it seems well-played. I've played the game boy game by the same name, which is actually a fighting game, so it's not surprising that the boss fights are the most important part of this game. I love the dance moves, but I have to say the funniest part is when an enemy shoots an arrow or throws a knife and then outruns it himself.
This is a well-played, fast-paced time attack and it gets my yes vote. It looks very well played especially the 2nd stage (I kept on bumping my head into the ceiling when I played). My only complaint is you seem awfully far away from the 5th boss when the fight starts. Do you have to be that far to the right to spawn the 5th boss? P.S. I feel sorry for anyone who beat this game on an actual console just to get that crappy ending.
Former player
For a game set in a post-apocalyptic future, the music is remarkably cheery. Sounds like Kenshiro is going for a stroll in Candy Land. Also funny is the notion that an arrow hurts Kenshiro in the slightest way. That's like Superman being hurt by a bullet. All in all, well played.
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Former player
mikwuyma: He spawns on the opposite side of the screen as you. I had to be right of the center to get him to spawn on the left. EDIT: feticlub: I seem to remember a version of this game where Kenshiro couldn't die (possibly the Japanese). When the life bar ran out it refilled itself - but I could be wrong.
I'm the resident 8-bit Hokuto no Ken video games expert here (I authored the FAQ for Famicom/NES HNK II on Gamefaqs) and an actual fan of the anime (to a certain extent), so I'm quite familiar with the workings of this game. Oh and I also started and completed my own run a while back (before ziplock's actually - see the thread in the NES video forum) with some differences (I get both the speed power up - 5 lit stars - and do a no damage run). Anyhow, the video was fast - very fast - with only a few minor improvements needed here and there. Notably the dagger throwing third mini-boss, right before facing off with Bronze (Buronzu). Hitting the weak points of the bosses (I uncovered them all and elaborate upon them in my FAQ, although they were mentioned in the instructions manual) isn't easy in normal play as it must be the first hit to connect with him. In some cases, like first boss Bask (Basuku), hitting the upper part of the shoulder with the correct depth isn't practical. In tool assisted play, it's far easier although not always efficient. Other bosses have ridiculously easy to hit weak spots (Gayler/Gailaa requires a crouching punch to the guts) but it messes up CPU AI so that they do things you wouldn't want them to do. This is why Tiger (Taigaa) jumps in my movie. Also, Falco (Faruko, the boss, not the deceased German pop star) slides towards you and his weak spot is the back of his head as he slides. You need to jump high enough to go over him, yet not so much that you'll hit the ground after he's up again and hit a standing punch. Floaty hit boxes make this all the more trickier. Maybe you could take a better look at my movie, ziplock, and see how I hit the weak spots. Might not shave time off of some battles, but it does look better. And lastly, in regards to 5th boss Bolts (Borutsu) and his spawning - he appears at the opposite side of the screen no matter where you are. He's the only boss to do this and your best bet is to keep near the centre of the screen with maybe a step or two to the right (he tends to be easier to trap on the left side). In any case, I've detailed some strategies and tactics over in the thread devoted to my attempted run. In a nutshell, incorporate the weak spots of bosses, better your fight against the third mini-boss of Bronze's stage and I'd vote yes instead of meh. Although a no damage run is better seeing as a normal game involves taking damage to go faster. Nice jumping there - it's a bitch to get the timing right all the time isn't it?
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
if you are redoing it, hopping forward in beat with the music would be cool. :D
Oh and the version where Kenshirou never dies is a hack of the original HNK for the Famicom. As I mentioned in my FAQ, it was a big joke back in the older days of emulation with people proclaiming it the worst thing they had ever played, not knowing it was a hacked version. Without the health bar cheat, it was a very challenging game to say the least. Not that the original HNK for the NES was anything to write home about (especially compared to the far superior SMS HNK which became known as Black Belt in North America). Oh and I wanted to add, ziplock, that you did an admirable job on the 3rd level's blocks. Much better than mine; better consistency in timing. Only one exploding block can be destroyed at a time. Or rather, the "stars" the fly out must expand for a certain number of frames before another block can be broken. Very annoying stuff when you have a jumping midget on your tail.
Former player
Y'know, I like it when someone plays a bad game in an interesting manner. I know this has been long dead in the queue, but what the hell, I'm still giving it a thumbs-up anyway.
Post subject: Good Job dude!
Player (57)
This timeattack was cool! I tried self to do a superplay movie on this game but it wasn't that good-and I didn't have the patience to do a whole timeattack either! I think I did stop at the third level or something.... enough said!...-I think this movie should get published! : ) < 0 ) <
Editor, Active player (296)
It reminds me of Karnov. Or Rush'n'Attack. With less fame than Karnov and much less charm than Rush'n'Attack. I don't doubt you played it well, but it doesn't look interesting to me. I'm voting "no". Also, for me it desyncs in stage 2 boss. Possibly I should disable left&right / up&down support for the movie to work properly.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
wow Bisqwit beat me to it. I was going to say everything he said except im voting meh. The meh is mostly because while this game isn't that good, it is fast paced with the constant jumping.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
That was hilarious. He bounces along in that ridiculous position like he's on a pogo stick. The desync only happens in Nitsuja's FCEU, not the older version. For great dancing, take off every 'YES'.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [484] NES Fist of the North Star by -ziplock- in 07:47.22
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
It was a nice thing to publish ziplock's movie... Since he's not around anymore
Former player
FODA wrote:
It was a nice thing to publish ziplock's movie... Since he's not around anymore
I second that. I wonder where he went =/
/Walker Boh
this game takes me back to when i was in middle school. woulda never thought of anyone doing a time attack for this, i sucked at this game but still liked it... especially the noises the people made when their heads blew up HAHA
Hillarious game. I support this run.
I support this run, too. I never thought Kenshiro was such a great ballet dancer.
No.