(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Phantom 2040 is a side-scrolling action-adventure video game developed by Hearst Entertainment and published by Viacom in 1995 for the Genesis, Super NES and Game Gear. The game is directly based upon the animated television series Phantom 2040 but follows a plotline not strictly taken by the show.
About:
  • Emulator:Bizhawk 1.11.1
  • Genre:side-scrolling action-adventure
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death to save time
  • Manipulate luck
  • Good Ending
In this Run I tried to focus more on speed and accuracy to finish as fast as possible with the good ending.
I used the deaths only at the end because they had no more power boxes and had to die to restore power,
not used before the deaths because the person loses many frames when you die on the ground or in the air.
I hope you enjoy this run.

Fog: Judging.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5125: CReTiNo's SNES Phantom 2040 "Good End" in 26:54.32
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
This is an interesting game, I've never seen it before. The TAS looked pretty well made overall, although I wonder if it's not faster to jump down ledges, rather than just dropping down (see 5:45, for example). Regardless, this was an entertaining run, so I'm voting yes.
Skilled player (1435)
Entertaining run, it was enough pleasant to watch! However i accidentally noticed that skidding in air is faster than normal running speed. (Skidding is 4 pixels per frame, while running is only 3 ppx.) But you use skidding in air quite rarely... Unfortunately i was doomed to vote "No" due this significant flaw in optimisation.
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Player (53)
Archanfel wrote:
Entertaining run, it was enough pleasant to watch! However i accidentally noticed that skidding in air is faster than normal running speed. (Skidding is 4 pixels per frame, while running is only 3 ppx.) But you use skidding in air quite rarely... Unfortunately i was doomed to vote "No" due this significant flaw in optimisation.
and what would that skidding? I was thinking of remaking this run in Isnes
Skilled player (1435)
CReTiNo wrote:
and what would that skidding?
I mean special move when you press X during jump. For example you used skidding in at 1:54 in your encode. It should be used as often as possible instead of simple running. Optimised moving is something like this: Jump->Skidding->Jump->Skidding->Jump->Skidding->
CReTiNo wrote:
I was thinking of remaking this run in Isnes
Good luck!
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Editor, Expert player (2001)
Yeah tested it out. You can save over half a second on the run to the first boss alone. So, unfortunately, giving this a No.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Player (53)
arandomgameTASer wrote:
Yeah tested it out. You can save over half a second on the run to the first boss alone. So, unfortunately, giving this a No.
Archanfel wrote:
Jump->Skidding->Jump->Skidding->Jump->Skidding->
like that: Link to video
Skilled player (1435)
CReTiNo wrote:
like that:
Yeah, approximately like that. I will not be surprised if for full game more than one minute can be saved.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Please do remake this movie. The new movement looks much more interesting as well than just running around.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... want more!