(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page

Edit: Cancelled until glitches used are verified as emulation bugs or not

Yeah, Atari! The best console ever! By that I mean the worst console ever if you want any real games. Luckily homebrew exists to fix that.
Super 3D Portals 6 is a homebrew game made by Hincy that's, well, Portal. For the Atari. It follows the popular avenger Hawkeye as he escapes Saw traps. Idk, this game has no plot I'm making this up. There are only 10 levels before it loops, so I TAS until there's no more new content, like every Atari game ever.
The game can be downloaded here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2391.0

Level Comments

Level 1

Portals travel rather slow in this game, so minor amounts of waiting is required whenever I need to fire a portal a long distance. Significant amount of time is saved on the last set of portals by doing an exploit that lets me do a full jump when exiting a portal, letting me skip some waiting on the orange portal traveling.

Level 2

Jumping at the right time when you're about to exit a portal on the ceiling lets me clip into the ceiling for the duration of the jump, which saves me having to wait a long time shooting a portal at the right wall.

Level 3

Due to a bug in the way the game checks position, moving left during the transition to the next level lets me get stuck in the wall you spawn next to. This then lets me scale it and use some portals in mid-air to save a lot of portal travel time.

Level 4

Speaking of walls, for some reason they're bugged in a way that allows me to clip into them if you place your portals up against them and hold a direction to the wall. This lets me skip the boring maze in the middle of the level and just go straight to the dot.

Level 5

Same jump trick as level 1 saves some time here, elsewise probably the most straightforward level out there.

Level 6

Another wall clip skips the whole level.

Level 7

Complex diagonal climbing at the start saves me having to shoot a portal directly upwards. I then do a series of wall clips at the top to get to the dot from the top, which skips half the level.

Level 8

Some more wall clips gets me through the W in the middle of the level. Much faster then just going around.

Level 9

By shooting a portal during the transition to this level, I skip the first area and end up on top of the level. I then do some more wall clips to skip the rest of it.

Level 10

Oh hey more wall clips. I shoot a portal onto the right wall to end input earlier.

Screenshot Suggestions

Frame 1054:
Frame 658:

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5148: arandomgameTASer's A2600 Super 3D Portals 6 in 00:23.06
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
The programming is strong with this one... Yes vote.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Short. Quick. Not entertained. Meh.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
DwainiumB
He/Him
Player (57)
Short and fast paced, Yes vote.
Perception is the greatest deception. nitrogenesis: 04:43:04: but TAS is life nitrogenesis: 04:43:23: TAS everyday MKWii TAS Discord: https://discord.gg/z5bu44H MKWii TAS Records: https://goo.gl/ZrGKgt Currently Trying to TAS: On Hold: The Incredibles (GC) The Incredibles: Rise Of The Underminer (GC) Future: (GC) Egg Mania: Eggstreme Madness (Wii) The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of The Unicorn Mario Kart Wii 32 Track GP
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
What was going on.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I got a 3D overdose from these Portals.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Editor, Expert player (2015)
scrimpeh wrote:
What was going on.
You're not thinking with portals dude.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3522)
The version of AtariHawk in BizHawk 1.11.6 contains numerous, and some rather serious, bugs that have since been fixed. In partiuclar a bug in the 6532 causes measurably innacurate timing, which this game uses. This run does not sync in the current dev build (fails at level 1.) I'm not sure what the rules are regarding this, are runs from dev builds submittable? Still entertainging game though. Having to play with both joysticks must make it challenging.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Alyosha wrote:
I'm not sure what the rules are regarding this, are runs from dev builds submittable?.
They're not, unless the TAS that was done on a dev build syncs on an official release (the only exception being Dolphin).
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Alyosha wrote:
I'm not sure what the rules are regarding this, are runs from dev builds submittable?
They are required to sync on official releases, with exceptions for things like Dolphin. This might get delayed until the new release as well, but having it published as is is up to a judge and the authors if its optimal.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1436)
                             i.
                           .. :v
                          c:  .X
                           i.::
                             :
                            ..i..
                           #MMMMM
                           QM  AM
                           9M  zM
                           6M  AM
                           2M  2MX#MM@1.
                           OM  tMMMMMMMMMM;
                      .X#MMMM  ;MMMMMMMMMMMMv
                  cEMMMMMMMMMU7@MMMMMMMMMMMMM@
            .n@MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
           MMMMMMMM@@#$BWWB#@@#$WWWQQQWWWWB#@MM.
           MM                                ;M.
           $M                                EM
           WMO$@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@#OMM
           #M                                cM
           QM                                tM
           MM                                CMO
        .MMMM      Portal for the Atari!?    oMMMt
       1MO 6MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM iMM                   
      .M1  BM           Yes Vote !           vM  ,Mt
      1M   @M............................... WM   M6
       MM  .A8OQWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOAz2  #M
        MM                                      MM.
         @MMY                                vMME
           UMMMbi                        i8MMMt
              C@MMMMMbt;;i.......i;XQMMMMMMt
                   ;ZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM@A;.
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
feos wrote:
Alyosha wrote:
I'm not sure what the rules are regarding this, are runs from dev builds submittable?
They are required to sync on official releases, with exceptions for things like Dolphin. This might get delayed until the new release as well, but having it published as is is up to a judge and the authors if its optimal.
In this case though, we have an unusual situation, where the official release has known emulation issues, compared to the dev build.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Invariel
He/Him
Editor, Site Developer, Player (169)
#5035: TASeditor's A2600 FlapPing in 00:00.05's rejection message suggests that a movie file submitted that relies on emulation bugs should be rejected, implying that this should also be rejected and a new attempt should be made once 1.11.7 is released.
I am still the wizard that did it. "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -- Satoru Iwata <scrimpy> at least I now know where every map, energy and save room in this game is
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
It is known that the emulator version in this submission has emulator bugs, and this affects movie sync. Hence, we can't accept this submission in its current state. As others have said, we also don't accept movies from interim builds unless they sync on an official release. So currently, this submission/game is stuck between bad emulation and interim emulation. Until the A2600 emulation changes are made final, or put into a new BizHawk release, we won't know yet if this or any movie of this game will sync on an official release (without inaccurate emulation). So the best course of action here would be to wait until the next BizHawk release, then make the next TAS of this game on that.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
I don't think having a movie sync on a fixed emulation core has ever been a requirement. The only scenario close to that is when the run relies on emulation bugs in order to pull off some trick. When it's just a timing fix or something like that, I don't remember it being an issue, since no emulator is perfect.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom
Experienced player (630)
So, if I make a TAS of an Atari game right now, would it be inmedeately rejected because the current official version of the emu isn't really that accurate? What I'm supposed to do then? Of course I can only wait, but who knows when the next release is coming out...
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Waiting would be preferred for a site submission, yes, but feel free to TAS anything you want on 1.11.6 in the meantime. It'll at least be good for practice/research if you're planning on an optimized submission with the incoming core fixes.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.