(Link to video)
The reason I chose this game is because I hold the speedrun WR. This was the first game I ever owned as well...
To interact with things you must press A, then a direction, then A again.
Going through doors at an angle saves time. I optimized this as much as possible.
The order I go through the game is the most optimal possible. Restricted areas for some characters during certain chapters prevent it from going any faster.
Dialogue and scenes in the very beginning can be skipped with the START button. Later on that never works.
Overall this took at least 10 hours to complete. I worked the last 30 thousand frames in just 5 hours.

Samsara: Think I'll claim this one for judgement.
Samsara: File replaced with a trimmed version. I don't see any obvious issues or huge improvements even after multiple watches, so I'm accepting this to Vault.
feos: Pub.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5172: Birth's GBC Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers in 18:47.86
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
Yes the RTA run is indeed faster haven't looked at the TAS yet nor the RTA run, so I don't know what the differences are yet between the two timings, but I'm assuming the RTA timer ends much earlier, as the TAS input drags on throughout the input. What raises a flag for me is that you managed to do all this in 10 hours. Author's input corrected lightly: User movie #32228810571080013 You don't have to cancel the TAS, as a judge will be able to update your submission with this file, without any issues.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Birth
He/Him
Player (5)
Spikestuff wrote:
Yes the RTA run is indeed faster haven't looked at the TAS yet nor the RTA run, so I don't know what the differences are yet between the two timings, but I'm assuming the RTA timer ends much earlier, as the TAS input drags on throughout the input. What raises a flag for me is that you managed to do all this in 10 hours. Author's input corrected lightly: User movie #32228810571080013 You don't have to cancel the TAS, as a judge will be able to update your submission with this file, without any issues.
Well 10 hours altogether, not in one day. ._. The time for this using the speedrun rules would actually be 18 minutes and 2 seconds. That video on speedrun.com is actually mine lol. Is there any reason why 10 hours seems wrong? I'm pretty new at this so I dunno.. Edit: Oh yea I kept the timer going throughout the credits but I dunno if that's not supposed to happen either lol
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Birth: you're running a 3D game, which tends to have very nontrivial physics optimization. Given that this is also your first TAS submission, that's mainly why the 10-hour estimate seems a little strange. TAS optimization can take a lot of time even compared to RTA work, especially with memory watching. EDIT: Oops, this is GBC, not N64. Scratch what I said about 3D, I think. Then again, as the RTA record holder, you already know the game really well, so that helps too! Someone researching the game from scratch would take a lot longer. I haven't seen the run yet, since I'd need an encode on my system. Regardless, congrats on your submission, and welcome to the site!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Birth
He/Him
Player (5)
mklip2001 wrote:
Birth: you're running a 3D game, which tends to have very nontrivial physics optimization. Given that this is also your first TAS submission, that's mainly why the 10-hour estimate seems a little strange. TAS optimization can take a lot of time even compared to RTA work, especially with memory watching. Then again, as the RTA record holder, you already know the game really well, so that helps too! Someone researching the game from scratch would take a lot longer. It's pretty cool to see how much time this saves on Swordless Link's previous run. I haven't seen the run yet, since I'd need an encode on my system. Regardless, congrats on your submission, and welcome to the site!
It's the 2D gameboy color version of it. ;-; Edit: I saw your edit. lol. * -* But yea.. It's a pretty simple straightforward game. Go from point A to point B, cutting all corners and getting to the transitions in the least frames possible.. o3o The current route is likely the best possible route ;3; Thanks for the welcome ;-; edit2: I noticed a tiny mistake around 14:20 where I didn't cut a corner early enough when it was possible... :C I'll fix and resubmit later ;o; if that's possible... I still want this one to be accepted tho.. ;-; It was prob only a loss of like a quarter of a second at best.. but still.. ;-; hng according to winslinator there's around 4 mistakes where I could save some frames.. I only noticed one of them.. He thinks it's possible to get sub 18. I dunno. So I might do this again at some point.. Not soon tho.. ;-; and by sub 18 I mean RTA time.. ;o;
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Alright, I finally got around to watching this. I am not really familiar with the N64 version of the game, so I can't compare the two runs. From what I could vaguely tell, the movement is pretty precise here. As you've pointed out, you could shave a few frames, but you haven't missed any major route change or large mistake. This seems to be a fairly clean adventure game. I'm a little disappointed there wasn't any glitch showcasing here; that's part of what makes other adventure game runs like Maniac Mansion or Shadowgate more interesting for the casual viewer. There's a lot of repetition of going back to the same areas a bunch. I also feel like, compared to many other adventure runs, you don't really do as many fun actions: you don't pass by mini-bosses much or get many zany actions as you would expect from Scooby Doo. I'm going to go with a Meh vote leaning towards No. It's not a bad run by any means, but the game has a tendency to get monotonous.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Birth
He/Him
Player (5)
mklip2001 wrote:
Alright, I finally got around to watching this. I am not really familiar with the N64 version of the game, so I can't compare the two runs. From what I could vaguely tell, the movement is pretty precise here. As you've pointed out, you could shave a few frames, but you haven't missed any major route change or large mistake. This seems to be a fairly clean adventure game. I'm a little disappointed there wasn't any glitch showcasing here; that's part of what makes other adventure game runs like Maniac Mansion or Shadowgate more interesting for the casual viewer. There's a lot of repetition of going back to the same areas a bunch. I also feel like, compared to many other adventure runs, you don't really do as many fun actions: you don't pass by mini-bosses much or get many zany actions as you would expect from Scooby Doo. I'm going to go with a Meh vote leaning towards No. It's not a bad run by any means, but the game has a tendency to get monotonous.
Okay.. well there aren't really any known glitches in the game. And yea it's pretty boring without any fighting. It's more of an exploration/investigation kind of thing...
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Birth wrote:
Edit: Oh yea I kept the timer going throughout the credits but I dunno if that's not supposed to happen either lol
TAS timing usually stops on the last frame of input needed to reach the credits, assuming the credits end with a "THE END" screen and progress automatically. I'll take a look at the file today and see what the proper last frame of input is, and I should have the file replaced upon judgement.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Birth
He/Him
Player (5)
Samsara wrote:
Birth wrote:
Edit: Oh yea I kept the timer going throughout the credits but I dunno if that's not supposed to happen either lol
TAS timing usually stops on the last frame of input needed to reach the credits, assuming the credits end with a "THE END" screen and progress automatically. I'll take a look at the file today and see what the proper last frame of input is, and I should have the file replaced upon judgement.
Oh cool I appreciate that. I can't seem to access my own files anymore on the thingy I dunno why lol. So if I were to do this again I'd have to start from the beginning ;-; But ye I appreciate that so much~
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3191] GBC Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers by Birth in 18:47.86
Experienced player (630)
This publication has the "Genre: Storybook" tag missing. Since this is a point and click game, I think it's mostly appropiate.
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Birth
He/Him
Player (5)
Kurabupengin wrote:
This publication has the "Genre: Storybook" tag missing. Since this is a point and click game, I think it's mostly appropiate.
Eh...I completely disagree.
Birth
He/Him
Player (5)
"Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers is a point-and-click adventure game" But it has nothing to do with pointing and clicking. Please revise.