Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • We used FCEU Ultra.
  • Programming error.
  • Use death as a shortcut.
  • Use restart sequence.
  • Aim for the fastest time.
Zelda II, the blacksheep of the Zelda series aim more for an RPG style than a Zelda Style. Not a bad game but not a outstanding to.
The movie was, in majority, play by me (Blitzag), Genisto make the glitch with the healer. The movie was hard and give headach. We use mainly two glitches. The first one, mine, the Left+Right trick. This technique allow to pass throught locked door, slide amesingly fast, do long jump and skip almost all of the palace exept the second one and the last one.
And the second glitch, the Genisto one, here how it work;
How the glitch works in Zelda II?
I don't know how the glitch work exactly, but I have a good idea of it.
To start the glitch, you must go in a town, then talk to a healer several times before she enter in her house.
If you are lucky, she will enter in the wall. If it's true, enter in the opened door, then you will be in the second part of Rauru Town, but with false entrance.
Here is a list of what you can do:
  • If you take the left exit of the part, you will be at the connected location on the map world.
  • If you take the right exit of the part, you will be at the current location on the map world.
  • If you enter at least 2 times in a house, the game will start to glitch like Super Mario Brothers 1 invisible (the background start to appear at the middle of the screen instead of the side).
  • If you enter at least 5 times in a house, the game will start to glitch more (anytime you enter in a location, you will appear on the left side of the part)
  • If you enter at least 9 time in a house, you will fall lol (if you go right in any part, you will fall the right exit doesn't exists).
Each location on the map have a connection like caves: Rauru Town is connected to King's Tomb, Mido Port Town is connected to Bagu's House...
To reverse the effect, you must do a reset.

Bisqwit: I edited the submission text to make it readable.
Please do not attempt to indent lines with spaces! It won't work like you think, because indenting denotes preformatted text. More at TextFormattingRules.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Here is it, the final video. MOst of indoor place was played by me(Blitzag). The overworld place was mainly played by Genisto (the other guy). Dark link was beaten by Genisto and I do some overworld too. We improve the cave pattern and really really beat dark link faster.
Former player
It might be fast, but I had to vote no anyway. It's pretty much just Link randomly moving accross the screen, a totally glitched world, and then the game ends. It wasn't entertaining at all, and hadn't I known it to be less than 10 minutes, I would have quit. This is a good example of fast, but unentertaining.
Skilled player (1404)
Here's a tip: don't use spaces to indent your text. If you do, you end up with a monospace font which screws with the formatting. After watching this run, I have to vote "meh". Obviously improved, and by two minutes no less, an amount that shouldn't be scoffed at. But the quality of the running is lopsided at best. For example, the stairs in the room where you get the jump spell is handled beautifully, but the one for the downstab looks awful. You also spent a lot of time in the spell menu to cast the spell, something that looks like it shouldn't have happened. You guys also seemed slow when exiting some caves. The cave with the trophy I can understand to be luck manipulation, but in the network in Death Mountain this shouldn't have been an issue. I'll dismiss the random pauses when entering a room as a charge up period, so I'm not counting that against you. Still looks kind of awkward, though. So yeah, "meh." Try making the running look more even.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Former player
I have to agree with Ferret Warlord, it's a lot better than the last one, but your moves are still not nearly as good as Gigafrost's. For example, he does the trophy cave 137 frames faster than you. That's an entire 2 seconds. You don't get off elevators as quickly as you could, etc... It's a step in the right direction, but I'm sure you could get under 7:30 easily.
Former player
An interesting exercise, sure, but not particularly entertaining. Meh.
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Former player
I think a glitch run like this would be worth publishing, though I have to agree that it's too sloppy in some places, so I'm voting no.
Former player
Well, people, I suppose this is where we differ - finding a glitch like this is one thing, but making it work for you is something else. While I'll admit it's difficult to follow what's going on, there are insane warps all over the place combined with lightning fast movement. It's Zelda II in under 8 minutes, for schneike's sakes! The fact that he did pulled this off to me is entertaining. It reminds me of being a child and finding a glitched world in a game, wandering around, trying to find a way out for advancement (like the hilltops in Rygar), all the while convinced this was a programming Easter Egg. I certainly don't think this should obselete anything, but yes, it's worth publishing.
If Cheez is right, then you should definitely improve on this further, yes, but I refuse to vote "no" just on the rather nebulous grounds that the run is not as "entertaining". It's faster, so it gets a yes from me. End of story. :)
Former player
I think the run might have been a bit better had I responded to my e-mail a bit quicker. Apparently I didn't check it all weekend and an early WIP had been e-mailed to me. Although I made a bunch of suggestions, the fact that I made them two days latter means they probably weren't included. :(
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I agree with ziplock with the caveat that this still is obviously improvable. Some identical places are done slower the second time around. Make a new one and make sure there's no way to improve it.
Well, I hate to say it but... I voted No... and I seriously would like to know why so many people voted yes... though Ziplock is quite vocal about his reasons and that's cool. Reasons for my choice? 1. Gigafrost's Palace 2 appears to be faster in several places, including going against the slime wanna be's... no pausing there.. nice fluid jumps... and the Moonwalking down the 3 hugeass steps to avoid the wall hit.. nice ^^ 2. Is it just me, or did Gigafrost go through a key required door in Palace one by doing a quick Left/Right move while speeding along... and am I wrong in thinking he went through those doors a touch faster? 3. The very obvious mention of Gigafrost's the trophy being done faster in Gigafrosts attempt... 4. Plenty of room to improve due to these little things. I wish there was a way that the jump spell could be avoided... can you not pull off a wall glitch like was done in the caves enroute to the swamps? If that's possible, it would save WAY more time. It's a nice improvement... and I'm glad Phil C reminded me to change Joystick 2's input ^^;; [Had it on Powerpad ^^;;] so I could view both... but with improvements still being able to be made.. as astonishing as that is... I think no for now... until the little tweaks are implemented. But with the next one, I get the feeling I will be hard pressed not to vote Yes... even if it's nearly impossible to follow half the video ^^;; And only then a yes, just because these gltches need documenting. Maybe someone could contact David Wonn about this? Offer FCM's and SMV's of all the glitches on his site in action, as well as all these new ones...? [Well glitches doable on an actual console] Just popped into my head as an idea.. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Former player
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:
1. Gigafrost's Palace 2 appears to be faster in several places, including going against the slime wanna be's... no pausing there.. nice fluid jumps... and the Moonwalking down the 3 hugeass steps to avoid the wall hit.. nice ^^
Yeah, Gigafrost is less than 2 seconds slower from the start of Palace 2 to getting to the glove (I think it was 107 frames), and he stops to fight, I believe, 4 monsters and he levels up once. But in blitzag's defense, the only reason Gigafrost was able to zip by the slimes so fast, was because he already had the downward thrust, so he could just use that to bounce over it. While I'm sure blitzag could get by them quicker, he won't be able to do it as fast as Gigafrost.
Cheez wrote:
Yeah, Gigafrost is less than 2 seconds slower from the start of Palace 2 to getting to the glove (I think it was 107 frames), and he stops to fight, I believe, 4 monsters and he levels up once. But in blitzag's defense, the only reason Gigafrost was able to zip by the slimes so fast, was because he already had the downward thrust, so he could just use that to bounce over it. While I'm sure blitzag could get by them quicker, he won't be able to do it as fast as Gigafrost.
Hmm.. I honestly didn't notice the downthrusting till I watched again. I still wonder if the moonwalking could help get down those stairs though and the whole wall glitching to the 2nd floor for the downthrust... could work. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
This movie pretty much blows. Watch your vid. Watch Giga's vid. There is no comparison. Move as well as he does or stop trying.
Former player
I just really dig the warping. I think watching Gigafrost glitch through every palace gets old. How fast can this movie get? Under 7 minutes? That would be sick. Is Gigafrost working on a warping-ish version too?
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Gigafrost has worse strategy (doesn't use the warps) but a lot better movement in the stages. Gigafrost said he wouldn't do a warp version, I think.
Thanks for you comment, but I receive the respond of Gigafrost only after publishing this version, under 7, well I don't hink it is possible, maybe if Giga want to be in the movie for making a super duper movie with my glitch the talent of Giga in, his help, the superb glitch of Genisto, many seem to don't talk a lot of the Genisto glitch, the most usefull finally with Giga, Genisto and me(Blitzag) we can down it under seven, possibly. I don't know if every people understand all the glitch, need explanation? Well if yes I can make it...
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
also, in non glitched runs people stab off of the elevators to get off quicker, there was one opportuntiy to do this in your run i voted yes even though there is room for improvement. id like to see a new version at somepoint though. i agree that this run could possibly go under 7 min! cant wait to see it. it seems that the only reason you get downstab and the glove are to use to break blocks in the last palace. have you tried finding a method of avoiding this? It would be way faster if an alternate route could be found.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1404)
Not to mention it would allow him to skip the jump spell as well. I think the people who can appreciate this sort of glitch the most are those who have played the game before. Granted, both those who have and haven't played it would be left wondering what the heck is happening, but at least the former would understand the significance of it.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
I am voting yes. But I would really like to se a warpless version more. The way Gigafrost handled his enemies was just wonderful.
I voted yes, but under the pretence that the old moive in 56:xx stays. Every version of a movie is worth publishing. (version not every attempt) Being too nitpicky at a first vid is overkill. If he finds improvements, he'll make a second, or better yet, let people who see the improvements revise and develop their own. Still, there are minor optimizations which were in the non-glitched run that should be used here, if possible. Yes,
Former player
I don't understand why so many people are voting yes. The mistakes are many and obvious.
Michael Fried wrote:
I don't understand why so many people are voting yes. The mistakes are many and obvious.
Most likely because .. "Hey! This is faster then the last one! I never knew this game could be done so fast! I'm so for this!" Pick any of the above as reasons for a lot of people. I'm glad some people who voted yes actually EXPLAINED why. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Former player
Okay, I decided that the reason I'm voting no is the pauses. The L+R glitch is used very well (although not perfectly) but the pauses on the overworld are unecessary (as well as the slowdown from colliding with things with the L+R glitch). I've played around with the glitches a bit so let's see if I can list my findings (as well as my more thurough analysis of the L+R glitch)... One interesting thing I noticed is that landing on the Trophy in the first cave instead of sliding into it caused it to be picked up roughly 10 frames earlier (I'm not sure if you did this but I'm just mentioning it). In palace 2, both elevators should be taken UP with the U+D glitch instead of down. You do this by using U+D to force yourself into the ceiling. It doesn't move you through the ceiling, though, so you have to hold just Up until you reach the top where you can then hold U+D and appear on the screen BELOW (from the bottom). There are multiple things to note about this: 1) This is about 40 frames faster than the normal method for both the elevators. 2) If you do it this way, you can't attack the wall to move yourself to the left or else when you start using the L+R glitch you'll suddenly stop for no reason. 3) The frame-precise way to do this is as follows: Hold U+D. Using frame advance and save states, find the frame where you can release D and still be moving up through the ceiling. Then, when you're getting near the top of the ceiling, using frame advance and save states find the frame where you can hold U+D and move (too early will make you unable to move). For the healer glitch, I've only been able to do it by pixel-wise reproducing what Genisto did. There is a way to speed it up, though. If you warp through town fast enough then you can spawn the healer walking TO THE LEFT and you don't have to wait for her to walk all the way to the right, then almost all the way to the left. Your path through the river village place might be the fastest. I was 7 frames faster simply going straight through it but you might be able to drop more than 7 frames from your path (IE, I didn't test this). In death mountain, when you enter the cave that leads to the hammer, from the second room you can use the "Left Glitch" (IE, you go to the right a bit then exit the screen to the left) to teleport to the room directly below you (bypassing the Elevator.) I didn't test if this was faster but I want to make sure you're aware that it exists. :) Also in Death Mountain, when you break the boulder and fall down to where the Magic Potion is, as soon as you're on the screen, instead of falling down, use the L+R glitch to get on top of the ceiling. In East Hyrule (I think?) you've gotten to the Great Palace the same way in both videos: -Get out of maze -Take bridge -Take cave -"Left Glitch" -Walk across swamp -"Left Glitch" in the second cave -Enter Great Palace I've found a faster path: -Get out of maze -Take bridge -Take cave -"Left Glitch" -Instead of walking across the swamp, re-enter the cave. -"Left Glitch" will take you to the Great Palace area. -Re-enter the cave you came out of there and L+R glitch through the one room. -You'll come out of the cave at the Great Palace. (When I found that way, I started testing the old path and 200 frames after I would have entered the Great Palace in the new path, I was still in the swamp in the old one!) I was hoping to post specifics about how to use the L+R glitch here, but I've got to go take a probability exam. I'll be back in an hour to post that...