Time to kick some stormtroopers!
Ok, this is Star Wars. I actually found this game funny to play. It's pretty hard but it's also pretty varied.
It has 3 different gameplays (maybe 4, depending on how to see things).
First is the landspeeder/spaceship part. Here you drive around in a landspeeder (a car really) earching for your lost friends. This is the beginning of the game and here you can find and save R2-D2, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Han Solo.
Second is the platform part. You can run in this game which is good. On the bad side the controls are a bit slippery and your gun is pretty slow.
Third is the "inside-spaceships" part. Here you are in a first-person view avoiding asteroids and/or shooting tie-fighters.
Ok, some comments about the run. The first part of the game is pretty big. The idea is that you should rescue your friends and collect shields for the next level where you should avoid asteroids. Well, Luke is apparently evil because I didn't save any of my friends, I didn't have time for it ;P, neither did I collect any shields. I did, however pick up the first gun (it's possible to just turn around in the cave and run out). It allows me to fire more rapidly and even though I don't fire that much it's really handy in the few times I have to use it.
Also, when the game begins I can't control the "car" and thus I must enter the first cave.
Hmm, there is not much else to add. I think it's pretty optimized. In some places I take damage to save time, but I try to avoid this because it screws up the speed. If I were to take damage I'll most likely will be pushed backwards. Therefore I slow down briefly at some places to be able to keep the speed. First example of this is where I take damage from Bobba Fett.
Hmm. About the first-person-view parts of the game. I didn't really know what to do here, to make it more interesting to watch. So basically I just shot down everything that needs to be shot down and then proceed. In this part it's impossible to fire just one shot.. In case you wonder.
The last stage is a flying stage. I don't have much to add here.. I can't really speed it up and there is not much room fancy moves. I could have stopped the movie earlier but I figured it was better to stop it when my missiles reach the core of the Death Star.
Well, that's it I think.
  • FCEU 0.98.12 used
  • As fast as possible
  • Takes damage to save time
Enjoy!
/Walker Boh

DeHackEd: I liked it, and it looks like other people do as well, so I'll encode it.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #563: Walker Boh's NES Star Wars in 09:54.05
Pretty good. Luke makes some pretty amazing jumps in the Death Star considering he's not even a Jedi yet. That's a Yes.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Former player
You beat me to doing this. I enjoyed it, a pity they didn't show the part where Luke destroyed 200 Tie Fighters in 2 minutes during the movie ;)
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Clearly, the force is strong with young Walker Boh. A very nice run. The gameplay is fast and interesting, but the Star Wars music didn't translate very well to the 8-bit sound. The SNES Super Star Wars series would be great to see, is anyone interested in them at all?
Former player
TheAxeMan wrote:
The SNES Super Star Wars series would be great to see, is anyone interested in them at all?
Possibly ;) There is also Empire Strikes back for the NES too. I remember the AT-ATs being kinda annoying to take down, as it was side scrolling. So it might be worth watching too.
Former player
I'm curious though how Luke still gets a medal in the end ;P He leaves Leia in the Death Star and then blows the place up. "Well sorry sis, I was in a hurry".
/Walker Boh
I liked it and I would very much like to see the Super Star Wars done as well. Side-scrolling stages were fun to watch and first-person shooter -stages were well done too. Only the 'driving' stages were a bit boring, but when the movie is this short that doesn't matter. It would have been funny to see a 'bad' ending to the game though, if you didn't save your comrades from the fray. 'You fool, did you forget something? The rebels are doomed and you are at fault!' Anyway, a clear yes.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Former player
I thought it was nice. Pretty sloppy game though. I can't imagine how you achieved 68 percent. Did they give you credit for each TIE fighter you blew up?
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Former player
The percents comes from items being picked up, but also from completed stages. I think each stage completed gives 10% to the final result. The only item I picked up was the gun which gave me 3% or 5%. So the minimum should be 63% or 65%, but the gun is really handy to have and thus it's worth those extra few percents ;)
/Walker Boh
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
I have the Game Boy (original) version of Star Wars, and aside from a few different colours it's basically identical to this. Having played the NES version of this one as well, that asteroid field was the scarriest part of the whole game. Very smooth playing. Also, you also left Leia for dead. :)
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [305] NES Star Wars by Walker Boh in 09:54.05
Editor, Player (67)
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.