Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1522)
LostWinds was a fairly early WiiWare title which was sort of a puzzle platformer where you can use the wind with the pointer. The game has a number of sequence breaks already found which you can see in the sda run. As soon as you get gust: the ability that lets you push things around with the wind, movement gets fairly complicated. I made a WIP that you can see here: Link to video I am not confident that the bit after obtaining gust (basically the last 10 seconds of video) is the most optimal method of moving. Unfortunately, I've been having trouble figuring out how to find addresses in cheat engine (yes I looked at the guide). I'm not going to work on it more until either I learn how to use cheat engine properly or somebody else finds the addresses for me. At the moment this just displays the potential this game has for TASing. EDIT: ok so I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have static memory addresses and that they move around a lot so yeah I'm not doing this until later
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Memory
She/Her
Decided to work on it despite the lack of memory addresses. I doubt I'd be happy with the end result but I still want to at least show the potential this game has in a TAS setting. Here's what I have so far (except for a bunch of boring intro stuff): Link to video
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Memory
She/Her
Through the gust upgrade Link to video
what ever happened to the dev team behind this game? it showed a lot of promise
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
mobilisq wrote:
what ever happened to the dev team behind this game? it showed a lot of promise
Google is a thing, use it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Developments
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
yeah i looked the company up, i just worded this poorly i mean specifically whoever was in charge of the lostwinds titles, because the story is far from finished
Memory
She/Her
Last I saw anything said about it. They did somewhat recently release the first two on steam though.
Memory
She/Her
Super Jump of sorts? Link to video
Memory
She/Her
WIP from Gust Upgrade to leaving cave: Link to video Uses the Super Jump I found to skip a dialogue sequence and having to wait for a plant to grow after watering it. I'll probably need to do a second tas of this to properly implement any techniques I find later in the run like this early on.
Memory
She/Her
I did some quick research and both my main methods of moving Toku fast and the super jumps appear to work in LostWinds 2. Doubt I'd be able to do as many big sequence break in that game as 1 but probably could skip some platforming segments.
yes, do both!
Memory
She/Her
I'll probably tackle WotM at some point but there are no guarantees it will be directly after 1. I think it's a better game but would be a less interesting TAS.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Looking good so far. Good job finding the Super Jump, that could be useful for more minor skips down the line.
Memory
She/Her
WIP Gust Upgrade through obtaining Slipstream: Link to video Makes significant usage of the super jump and of the slipstream glitch. The slipstream glitch allows you to use the slipstream before you actually obtain it by pressing b and a at the same time. I follow the same route as the segmented run on SDA and obtain slipstream early by going through the area backwards with the slipstream glitch. Unfortunately there are a lot of story triggers that prevent the game from being totally broken open. If you could clip through these doors you could in theory have much more route possibilities, but as it stands you're not able to do much of a different route. EDIT: Fucking really game? You're really not going to let me grab that ledge nor get any more height out of my superjump? This would allow for a small puzzle skip ugh.... EDIT2: Never mind I got it! Link to video I'm so happy I got this, this skips going over to the left side of the room and having to do a bunch of stuff over there. A Super Jump alone wasn't enough to make it to the ledge, I had to use the slipstream to get the little extra height I needed to make it to the ledge. So the gust normally gives more distance but the longer you are in the air the less effective it is. Slipstream gives a little extra distance which was effective enough to grab the ledge. Just timed it: I saved about 10 seconds over UCPro's old segmented run on SDA in this room alone.
Memory
She/Her
Slipstream through first memory chest Link to video
Memory
She/Her
Decided to upload all I have so far as one video (there is new stuff at the end): Link to video
Memory
She/Her
WIP to Chest 2 Link to video
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Nice job! I liked how you moved the stone onto the pressure plate almost without stopping your movement.
Memory
She/Her
I'm taking an indefinite break from this game. When I come back to it I'll probably start over completely on a newer dolphin revision.