Submission Text Full Submission Page

Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii Any% in 1:34:32.42 by Unknown394

Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii, a famous hack of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, is created by NewerTeam. Although it is a hack, it has a very high IGN review score and is in fact a lot more fun than the original NSMBW. The levels are carefully designed, the artwork is beautiful and new sprites are added. This run is meant to beat the game as fast as possible, which has never been done with TAS before.

Here is the Youtube Video of this TAS: [dead link removed]

Game objectives: to beat the game as fast as possible

• Emulator used: Dolphin 5.0

Comments

This run is meant to beat the game as fast as possible, which has never been done with TAS before. In NrSMBW, there are eight regular worlds and five hidden worlds, and by completing World C, Sky City, skips Worlds 5 and 6, which are the most time-consuminng worlds. The run also skips as many auto-scroll levels as possible, although some cannot be avoided.

To play this movie, Dolphin's Dual Core and Idle Skipping should be disabled.

Stage comments: There aren't many glitches to utilize in NrSMBW, so only the stages that utilizes certain skill(s) will be explained. The rest of the levels are regular speedrun without special technique.

1-Tower
Skips 1-4. In this level, nets are replaced by honey hives. This is a vertical level, and the goal is to go up as fast as possible. During the Boss fight, Big Fuzzy is invincible while he rolls on the ground, and the fastest way to finish the fight is to hit him as soon as his rolling state is over.
1-5
Uses propellar suit to save time.
1-6
Uses Penguin Suit to swim faster
1-Castle
Avoids hitting switches (release spicky balls) and rushing through the parhana plants with invincible time after getting hit to save a lot of time. Same boss fight.
1-Ship
stomps the boss as soon as he gets out of the shell.
2-1, 2-2
Ice power freezes enemis and creates new ground to land on, and also defeats fire snakes, which saves a lot of time. In 2-2, the water draining down the pipes can both accelerate and decelerate Mario, so I walked on the ones that go forward and jump on the frame of landing on the ones that go backward.
2-3
change to fire powerup to defeat enemis blocking the way (like vertical pirhana plants) and saves time
2-Tower
This is a vertical level. A propellar suit is given at the beginning, and using it to fly upward saves a lot of time. The boss is a thomp that smashes a layer of the floor as it tries to hit you, and the fastest way to finish him is to stand at the corner so it will hit the same spot twice in the shortest time.
2-5
A secret exit is located at the top of a tall cactus, leading to 2-A.
2-A
A fast route is located at the top of the level, only accesible with a propellar suit. It basically skips the entire level.
2-Castle
Some routes have to be opended by stepping on switches that brings enemies to live.
3-1
Hills that roll forward gives Mario a speed boost, so walking on them helps save time.
3-2
Uses a star at the end to run faster and save time.
3-Tower
Another vertical level, but the second half is auto-scroll. Entering the pipe on the left saves time. In the boss figh, the location big mole is determined by a variable that stays far from Mario's location, so I have to wait till the location of the mole is set and then go and ground pound him. He is invincible when he has a spike on his head. And, if you attempt to jump around while he is invincible, the location he appears will be random and will waste frames as well.
3-6
This is a water level, so you might think playing 3-7 might be faster, but 3-7 has a section of maze and wastes a ton of time, which makes 3-6 faster.
4-1
The second half is auto-scroll.
4-3
The lst jump of a triple jump is higher than a regular jump, which can be used to reach areas without falling into water.
4-Tower
Another vertical level. The boss fight with Shy Guy is similar to a koopaling fight. Stomping him as soon as he has his sword down saves time.
4-A
The secret exit in this level leads to World C, Sky City, a short world that skips Worlds 5 and 6.
C-3
This is an unavoidable auto-scroll level.
C-Tower
Another vertical level. There is no boss fight.
7-2
Another unavoidable auto-scroll level. Playing with koopa shells like in SMW for stage effects.
7-3
The only non-tower vertical level in this run.
7-4
In space, low gravity. Mario can jump very far and proceed through the level quickly.
7-Tower
A regular gravity vertical level. The boss fight is a space enemy from Super Mario Galaxy. Just let him hit the electricity net three times.

7-Castle: Important Explaination!

Regular Speedrun, same boss fight. You might notice that after this level, I saved my progress and returned to the title screen and re-entered the world map. The reason is there is a bug in the system here. If you do not go back to the title screen, the game crashes as soon as you complete the ship level. The re-entering action is done as fast as possible.

8-1, 8-2
Auto-scroll levels
8-Tower 1
Vertical level, no boss fight.
8-Castle
This is a trick the NewerTeam played on the players. This is not the final level of the game, but rather a entrance to the other half of World 8. No boss fight.
8-Train
Auto-scroll level
8-6, 8-7
Uses the propellar suit that has been kept all the way to fly through big parts of the level to progress quickly.
8-Tower 2
The lava chases you upward. Uses propellar suit to progress quickly. Again, Kamek's loaction is controlled by a variable that is far from Mario's location, so I have to wait till Kamek's location is determined and then stomp him.
8-A
This level takes less time to complete than 8-9.
8-Final
To get to the Bowser fight, you have to hit three switches in three diferrent areas. During the first phase of the fight, I used the propellar suit that I got way back in 2-Tower to fly over Bowser and hit the switch. Unlike the original NSMBW, you have to hit four switches instead of one to finish the first phase of the fight. In the second phase, you're given a clown car with a cannon, and the fight is finished after you hit Bowser 25 times. There is a long delay before you can make your next shot, so I used the time to position myself for the next shot. Due to the management of the obstacles, I have to switch between hitting Bowser from the front and from the back constantly to avoid getting hit, which looks like it wastes time, but in fact it saves time. The movie ends on the frame Bowser starts falling.

Other comments

This run is an hour and a half long, and there are some intersting stage effects to see. Hope you enjoy this movie.
Some entertaining moments:
1-2 underground section
1-Castle "Pirhana Rush"
2-1 "Freeze them All"
2-5 Autoscroll section
2-Castle "Boosting to live"
3-1 "Hammer Bros Party"
3-Castle "Fun with Fire"
4-1 Autoscroll Section
C-3 "Fun with Parabeetles"
7-2 "fun with koopa shells"
8-1, 8-2 "Cannon Game"
8-Train "Hot Rush"
8-6 "Dangerous Actions"
8-A "Let's Ride the Dry-bones"

Samsara: Judging.
Samsara: Since there are serious problems with optimization, known glitches are not used, and the author is working on a new run to implement known improvements, I'm rejecting this run in favor of the upcoming one.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5228: Unknown394's Wii Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii in 1:34:32.42
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
Just so you know, the video in the YouTube link is set to "Private"...
Current projects: failing at life
Unknown394
He/Him
GoddessMaria15 wrote:
Just so you know, the video in the YouTube link is set to "Private"...
Oh man sorry I set the wrong option. It's good now.
I love Nintendo
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Reading YouTube description. Just letting you know. It's not the "First TAS ever for NrSMBW." It's first complete but not "First TAS ever".
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Unknown394
He/Him
Spikestuff wrote:
Reading YouTube description. Just letting you know. It's not the "First TAS ever for NrSMBW." It's first complete but not "First TAS ever".
I've never seen any though...anyway. OK I'll go change it.
I love Nintendo
Active player (403)
I thought the TAS was really cool. I haven't heard of this hack but it looks really fun. It's a yes vote from me.
Unknown394
He/Him
FitterSpace wrote:
I thought the TAS was really cool. I haven't heard of this hack but it looks really fun. It's a yes vote from me.
Thanks. Personally I think this hack is better than the original version of NSMBW. It's an any% run and the best stuff aren't shown. I might do a 100% run sometime.
I love Nintendo
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3520)
Wow, this really is a good looking Rom Hack and a good looking TAS of it as well. I'm really impressed by everything here, the TAS, Dolphin, and the Hack too, voting yes.
Fog
Experienced player (626)
The Nintendo buying out NrSMBW is not true, it's an April Fools video. Anyways, which version of the game is this using?
Unknown394
He/Him
Fog wrote:
The Nintendo buying out NrSMBW is not true, it's an April Fools video. Anyways, which version of the game is this using? Can I grab the mod from the website?
Uh, okay, I'll delete the video. It's the US version 1.11. But if it's taking you too long to get the dtm movie to work, you can watch it on Youtube first. By the way, the editor of the video must be really good. I couldn't tell it's fake at all. And it makes perfect sense, since nobody can tell NrSMBW is a hack if nobody told them. It is in fact higher quality than the official NSMBW.
I love Nintendo
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
You can actually skip the first few levels of World 7 in version 1.0 of this game, and this trick is used in the RTA WR. Using the latest version to feature a few more levels is not a bad thing though.
Unknown394
He/Him
Fortranm wrote:
You can actually skip the first few levels of World 7 in version 1.0 of this game, and this trick is used in the RTA WR. Using the latest version to feature a few more levels is not a bad thing though.
Yeah I've watched it before. He bought some items in a shop and then headed straight to 7-4. And he reset his Wii system instead of quiting the game (to avoid crashing the game after 7-Castle), which is also faster. On the emulator, resetting the game somehow crashes the emulator itself. But I was still able to complete the game 11 minutes faster than him (because I have tool assistance)
I love Nintendo
I watched a few levels scattered throughout the game and honestly wasn't all that impressed. I absolutely do not agree with the "better than the original game" comments. I mean, technically speaking, the hack is pretty impressive, with the custom models, music, etc. But the levels mostly felt pretty generic to me, and nothing interesting is done with all of that custom content. If you look at the "original" NSMB levels, they all are strongly distinct and have unique themes. Whereas most of the levels I saw in this hack basically consisted of long corridors with enemies, coins, and blocks scattered through them. They didn't feel designed and had no sense of place to them. I couldn't tell you if a level came at the beginning of the game or the end except by looking at how far along I was in the video. I'm not saying that literally every level was bad; the pyramid level had some interesting ideas, for example. But most levels just felt generic. As far as the TAS is concerned, the gameplay looked competent. I didn't see any obvious flaws, from what portions of the movie I watched. But I didn't find it entertaining either. Voting no on the merits of the hack itself, which I feel doesn't meet the quality standards that TASVideos has set for hacks.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Unknown394
He/Him
Derakon wrote:
I watched a few levels scattered throughout the game and honestly wasn't all that impressed. I absolutely do not agree with the "better than the original game" comments. I mean, technically speaking, the hack is pretty impressive, with the custom models, music, etc. But the levels mostly felt pretty generic to me, and nothing interesting is done with all of that custom content. If you look at the "original" NSMB levels, they all are strongly distinct and have unique themes. Whereas most of the levels I saw in this hack basically consisted of long corridors with enemies, coins, and blocks scattered through them. They didn't feel designed and had no sense of place to them. I couldn't tell you if a level came at the beginning of the game or the end except by looking at how far along I was in the video. I'm not saying that literally every level was bad; the pyramid level had some interesting ideas, for example. But most levels just felt generic. As far as the TAS is concerned, the gameplay looked competent. I didn't see any obvious flaws, from what portions of the movie I watched. But I didn't find it entertaining either. Voting no on the merits of the hack itself, which I feel doesn't meet the quality standards that TASVideos has set for hacks.
Thank you for your comments. Wii is a relatively new console with a much better security system and very very little glitches. You might have seen a lot of the SMW hacks, but hacking the Wii is nothing like hacking the SNES. A million tons of more coding is required. And look at the graphics--SNES graphics is rather pixelized, while making high-quality graphics and 3D models on the Wii can be three million times harder. If you look closely at the other hacks of NSMBW, none of them is even remotely close to the quality of NrSMBW. That's why it's always been highly praised over the years by most players and game-rating websites. And don't forget that this is an any% run--I'm progressing through the level too fast to show all the elements in the levels. If you pause on the World Map, you'll see a lot of amazing details. Also, as I mentioned previously, there are very little glitches to utilize. For example, in Soig's run for NSMBW, he didn't use even a single glitch. So if you've been watching lots of super glitchy NES and SNES movies, I'm sorry that you'll be so disappointed to watch Wii movies. I tried my best to boost up the performance, like using a bounce-stomp shell show (often used in SMW) in an auto-scroll level, which is a lot harder to perform on Wii than on the SNES.
I love Nintendo
Post subject: amidoingthisrightguys
Experienced player (630)
Derakon wrote:
Voting no on the merits of the hack itself, which I feel doesn't meet the quality standards that TASVideos has set for hacks.
Oh, ok, I see. I'm really curious as to what other hacks of this game are out there. It's not like it's considered the best or anything. And besides, the movie was entertaining enough for what it was, after all, you don't see a Mario hack like this very often, you know, a Wii game hack of all things. However as for the movie's technical quality itself, I'm very icky about things. I'll begin by asking: Did you used the optimization tricks used in the published run of the original game? How long it took you to do such a long run? And, does this beat all existing RTA records of this hack? Sorry for asking all these questions, but I'm just a bit curious. No pressure in responding. I'm going to vote Meh, I was entertained for a bit, but I'm not a big fan of long movies, specially if it is a 2D Mario game, no offense for someone new to the community. :-)
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Skilled player (1705)
Unknown394 wrote:
Thank you for your comments. Wii is a relatively new console with a much better security system and very very little glitches.
#3515: RachelB's Wii The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess "glitched" in 00:22.65 #4392: CoolKirby's Wii Anubis II "warp glitch" in 02:17.48 I know that is definitely not the case. A better hardware and security does not imply better game coding what so ever.
Former player
I looked at the thread for this game and found that there is a glitch in 4-A that wasn't used in this run. Link to video I can't say if there are other possible improvements, as I'm not familiar with this hack.
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Unknown394
He/Him
andypanther wrote:
I looked at the thread for this game and found that there is a glitch in 4-A that wasn't used in this run. Link to video I can't say if there are other possible improvements, as I'm not familiar with this hack.
what version is this? If this is 1.0.,it might be fixed in 1.1(what I used). There was a world map glitch in 1.0 that skips two levels,but is fixed in 1.1.
I love Nintendo
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
Why didn't you use 1.0 then?
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Post subject: Re: amidoingthisrightguys
Unknown394
He/Him
Kurabupengin wrote:
Derakon wrote:
Voting no on the merits of the hack itself, which I feel doesn't meet the quality standards that TASVideos has set for hacks.
Oh, ok, I see. I'm really curious as to what other hacks of this game are out there. It's not like it's considered the best or anything. And besides, the movie was entertaining enough for what it was, after all, you don't see a Mario hack like this very often, you know, a Wii game hack of all things. However as for the movie's technical quality itself, I'm very icky about things. I'll begin by asking: Did you used the optimization tricks used in the published run of the original game? How long it took you to do such a long run? And, does this beat all existing RTA records of this hack? Sorry for asking all these questions, but I'm just a bit curious. No pressure in responding. I'm going to vote Meh, I was entertained for a bit, but I'm not a big fan of long movies, specially if it is a 2D Mario game, no offense for someone new to the community. :-)
Thank you for voting. There are tons of other hacks of NSMBW, Another NSMW being the best among them, but it is still way not as good as NrSMBW. If you visit Rivolution and other Wii hacking websites, you'll find out that NrSMBW is in fact considered as tbe best, even at IGN. I have failed many times before this movie. My first successful movie was about three minutes slower, and then I watched the published run of NSMBW to find improvements. If you count all of that, I have at least spent thirty hours on this run. It beats the RTA record by 11 minutes, but we usually do not compare TAS to non-assisted speedruns. Making a long movie is harder than short movies, because I got extremely tired after sitting in front of my computer for six hours and just can't stand the last four. I admit this is not a flawless run, but it has already been optimized and is closest to perfect. And certain glitches in the 1.0 version are fixed in 1.1, the version I used for this run, so there are very little glitches to use.
I love Nintendo
Unknown394
He/Him
Masterjun wrote:
Why didn't you use 1.0 then?
Okay, this guy is in fact using 1.0, because I saw the entire run he did. I felt like using the newest version to make my audience feel updated. Here, as a TASer, you want the version with glitches to use; but imagine yourself being a fan of this game, would you like to see an old glitchy version or a new fixed version? In fact, the majority of audience of TASVideos can't be TASers. When making a movie, you have to consider showing it to both TASers and outsiders.
I love Nintendo
Skilled player (1149)
Unknown394 wrote:
I have at least spent thirty hours on this run.
I have nothing to say. If you always make tas like this, you never ever make a good tas. Sorry, no vote.
Fog
Experienced player (626)
mtvf1 wrote:
Unknown394 wrote:
I have at least spent thirty hours on this run.
I have nothing to say. If you always make tas like this, you never ever make a good tas. Sorry, no vote.
Voting no because it took 30 hours (which can be a lot of time if it's spread out over multiple days) is stupid. If you're going to vote at all, vote for if it was entertaining (as the poll title asks).
Skilled player (1149)
Fog wrote:
Voting no because it took 30 hours (which can be a lot of time if it's spread out over multiple days) is stupid. If you're going to vote at all, vote for if it was entertaining (as the poll title asks).
I only vote for technical, and the low quality movies never entertain me.
Fog
Experienced player (626)
mtvf1 wrote:
Fog wrote:
I only vote for technical, and the low quality movies never entertain me.
That's too bad, since technical != entertainment. You can leave a comment as you did, and abstain from voting if you're not going to vote purely on entertainment.