(Link to video)
Mega Man X3 100% TAS in 42:16.3 by Hetfield90, nrg_zam, and GlitchMan. It is a 2078 frame(34.6 seconds) improvement over the published run. Emulator used was BizHawk 1.11.7.
The youtube annotations mirror the information in this submission text, so if you're planning on reading the submission notes you can disable the annotations.

Goals

• Uses no passwords
  • 100% item collection
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
  • Takes damage to save time

Overview

Over the past couple of months, GlitchMan had retaken interest in Mega Man X3 and discovered a number of new glitches for 100%. The cumulative time save of the new discoveries eventually reached a point to merit making a new 100% TAS.

New Tricks

• Reverse Wall Jump - By pressing Left+Right the frame before jumping off a left-facing wall, X will turn around and wall jump off the air in the opposite direction. This is useful for getting over smaller walls more quickly, and also facilitates a more optimal wall jump interval pattern on single wall climbs.
  • Instant Wall Breaks - By scrolling a breakable wall off screen while it is under invincibility frames from Tornado Fang, the wall will break instantly regardless of its hp.
  • Zero Zipping - Since the air dash animation's shorter hitbox allows you to get much closer to ceilings, calling Zero from this position will cause him to be lodged in the ceiling with his taller hitbox after warping in.
  • Preliminary Charged Shot Skip - By swapping to Parasite Bomb and back to buster 3 frames later at a green charge will allow you to use saber without having to dump the preliminary charged shots.
  • Hyper.C ammo Conservation Glitch - Wall kicking during the animation of the 2nd hyper.c shot while the first is still on screen will move the combo to saber without expending 2 ammo. Also, swapping to buster after using saber but before the saber comes out will conserve that 2 ammo as well.
  • Hyper.C Weapon Swap Climbing - By tapping a wall after a hyper.c neon jump and weapon swapping to Tornado Fang on a specific frame, the neon animation is interrupted and no ammo is expended. This method of climbing can only be done as long as you have full hyper.c, and boasting a vertical speed of 715 sub pixels per frame(sppf), it far outclasses any other kind of vertical movement in the game(besides arm+leg upgraded ladder climbing). For reference, single wall climbing with no reverse wall jumps is 563sppf, with RWJs is 577sppf, and back and fourth wall climbing between two close walls is 596sppf.

Stage Info

Table of time saved per stage

Intro Stage

• In addition to allowing for faster wall climbing in general, reverse wall jumps keep Zero closer to the wall so he can take a more optimal damage boost after the saber jump and dodge the 2nd spike ball completely.

Tunnel Rhino

• Damage boosting on Rhino allows for longer range Doppler effects from being able to stand closer to the wall as well as delaying Rhino's charges at specific times.

Blizzard Buffalo

• Letting go of forward the frame you touch a slippery surface will yield dash speed on that frame instead of the normal frame of walking speed.
  • Leaving a neutral dpad position after turning around for a horizontal slippery surface "slope" jump will utilize momentum from the ice physics while X is airborne, which is faster than holding forward.
  • Ending a dash without holding forward has a very long stand up animation that is normally avoided in all other situations, but doing this on a dash from a slippery surface will allow X to slide through the air and do a mid-air jump.

Neon Tiger

• With carefully placed Frost Shields and manipulation of Bit's jump heights, you can use 2 additional charged Frost Shields during the fight.
  • By alternating between Ray Splasher and jump patterns, you can utilize Frost Shield's slow travel time to get more charged shots in between Neon Tiger's i-frame resets.

Gravity Beetle

• By jumping to a specific height and firing the frame before hitting the ground, you can actually hit Gravity Beetle with charged Ray Splasher while he is still on the ground. Since Ray Splasher gives Beetle such long i-frames, it's fastest just to hit him with consecutive charged shots.

Toxic Seahorse

• Since it takes so long to menu the swap to Zero and back, this zip only saves ~3.5 seconds(mainly because you skip the long miniboss explosion).
  • With Zero's taller hitbox, he's able to grab the ledge on the left immediately after the miniboss door without having go over to the right like X does.
  • Interrupting Zero's wall jump trajectory with a saber jump allows him to enter the ladder gap with a much higher wall jump. Normally he would fall back down while stuck in saber animation, but swapping back to X at that point fixes this problem.

Blast Hornet

• Nothing really changed on this stage aside from a few reverse wall jumps. Initially we thought it would be 2 frames faster to move Byte to Catfish's stage so that we wouldn't have to wait for the charged shot after the Bit/Byte room in this stage, but we forgot there was a big health drop sitting on the ground before the Catfish e-tank that you would have to avoid after the Byte dboost(which would have cost 4 frames instead).

Volt Catfish

• There wasn't much to add on this stage either aside from reverse wall jumps and some lag reduction. A lot of the wall heights in this stage are too awkward to utilize the specific intervals that reverse wall jump patterns demand.

Crush Crawfish

• Same story as the previous 2 stages.

Vile

• Vile is dragged to the right side during the ride armor phase to set up a single-shot Ray Splasher double hit in phase 2, which can only be done while Vile is jumping from left to right and with a specific permutation of shots earlier in the fight to set it up. The same charged Ray Splasher trick used on Gravity Beetle also works on Vile's second phase.

Rhino Revisit

• Nothing new here besides minor movement nuances/better lag reduction.

Doppler 1

• Nothing new aside from RWJs and weapon swap climbing.

Doppler 2

• Since you swap to Zero much later in 100% than any% or all stages, it's faster to do the Mosquitus descent glitch on the right wall instead of the left. This is actually 6 frames slower than the god descent pattern from v1, but that pattern is only achievable if the stars align when you get there, which didn't happen in v2. Here's some disassembly of Mosquitus' descent behavior that FractalFusion did. RNG values with no letter next to them instruct Mosquitus to fly "towards Zero", and ones with letters next to the correspond to 1 of 8 45° angles. The god pattern consists of Mosquitus flying "towards Zero" or "down/right" for ~30 consecutive values in a row, which are few and far between in the game's ~45000 value sequence.
  • The main limiting factor on Volt Kurageil is how long it takes him to send out his metal projectile which you shoot with the corkscrew shot(you can't use the saber until this shot has completely dissipated, and it takes much longer to despawn offscreen). As such, it is faster to hit him with the blade beam on the first attack since it deals 4 more damage, so the second blade beam(which is required to achieve explosion skip) kills him one damage over time tick earlier.

Doppler 3

• There are 3 new glitches involving the saber and/or hyper.c which greatly expedited the boss rush.
1. Charging to green, swapping to Parasite Bomb, and L+R swapping back to buster and shooting 3 frames later will allow you to fire the saber without having to dump the 2 preliminary charged shots.
2. Wall jumping during the animation of the 2nd preliminary hyper c. shot while the first shot's hitbox is still in active memory will expend the second shot and move the hyper c combo to buster without expending the normal 2 hyper c ammo.
3. Swapping to buster after firing a hyper.c saber but before the saber actually comes out will save the 2 ammo it normally costs.
The two hyper.c glitches used together causes the combo to cost 2 hyper c instead of the normal 6, allowing you to use it on every single boss aside from the 2 that have faster quick kills without saber(Seahorse and Crawfish).

Sigma

• If you kill Dr. Doppler with a blade beam to damage boost off of him after the fight or damage boost off 2 blue missile guys at the start of the Sigma stage, you can fill hyper.c to do the neon swap climb before Captain America. Unfortunately, either method of refilling hyper c. resulted in a net time loss of a least 20 frames.

Possible Improvements

• This wasn't brought to my attention until after the TAS was completed it, but you may be able to get the double kill on Mac/X's prison in the SNES version if you delay killing Mac and wait for him to jump. I'll look into this for the any% run.
  • If there is some way to zip horizontally in this game, Rhino's revisit could be theoretically skipped if you get the buster upgrade and chimera armor via zipping. We weren't able to pull it off, but I won't say it's impossible for sure until parrot14green gets on the case.

Closing Remarks

Hetfield90's remarks: Glitchman is a god. Also, don't get too comfortable, Penguin revisit. Some day you will be next.

Acknowledgements

• FractalFusion: for assistance with lua scripting, disassembly, and encoding as always.
  • Feos: for fixing a number of bugs and adding features to TAStudio that made making this run a lot easier.

Screenshot Suggestion

[dead link removed]

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Accepting as an improvement to the published run.
feos: Pub.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I watched this TAS 3 times already, well done guys!!! Yes Vote and I think this deserves a Star to be honest!!!
My name is 4N6/Forensics.
Editor, Expert player (2015)
It's ok. I've seen Mega Man runs far better, tbh (Which isn't that controversial of a thing to say since every Mega Man game has a run at this point). I'll give it a Yes regardless.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Active player (434)
zero finally stopped being a bum in this game! now he enters walls for X's convenience lol,also way better than the other x3 runs,star vote
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Active player (432)
Unbelievable how you guys managed to shave off over 30 seconds from the previous run. I had a blast watching it. I can only hope you will take on Mega Man 5 now :D Easy yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
fcxiaopengyou
He/Him
Experienced player (546)
Oh~Mega in the wall! and is a nice improve! Y vote.
Working on: [NES] Downtown Special - Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou! (J) ''2 players 100%'' Plan: [SNES] Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba (Japan) _________________ My English is pour. 
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I had forgotten that we now have "100%" and "100% best ending," and was wondering why you were getting the Z-Saber and not setting things up to fight Ride Armor Goliath and Press Disposer. Yes vote now that I've mentally cleared that up.
Previous Name: boct1584
darkszero
He/Him
Nice skips, and Zero gets used for more than killing him for his saber! I've got a screenshot suggestion as well: at around 15:45. You (normally) have no reason to go to that chip capsule in a 100% run :)
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
So exciting to see new zipping glitches discovered in games. Yes vote.
Skilled player (1219)
AngerFist wrote:
I can only hope you will take on Mega Man 5 now :D
I'm still planning on it, but there may or may not be some other runs in the works first :P. (I'm having a bit of a hard time with figuring out RNG in MM5).
darkszero wrote:
I've got a screenshot suggestion as well: at around 15:45. You (normally) have no reason to go to that chip capsule in a 100% run :)
Something like this? I kind of like the Beetle one better since it shows the elimination of a revisit, but whichever one doesn't get used here can be used in an update to the "best ending, max%" run.
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
Glad to see more actions from Zero. Yes vote. Would it be possible to exit the Boss Rush room with Zero zip if he was not damaged in Doppler 2?
Skilled player (1219)
Fortranm wrote:
Would it be possible to exit the Boss Rush room with Zero zip if he was not damaged in Doppler 2?
At the very least, you would still need to lift the camera lock somehow, and the only method I can think of at the moment would involve boomerang cutter.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
If we like we could use the MSU1 hack and play it on lsnes for the CD quality music.
PikachuMan wrote:
If we like we could use the MSU1 hack and play it on lsnes for the CD quality music.
y
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
PikachuMan wrote:
That would not be an acceptable hack.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
PikachuMan wrote:
If you so insist on the CD quality music, then just go ahead and watch the "all stages" TAS that was done on the PSX version (which is an official release, mind you). But....yeah, as Samsara said, it's not an acceptable hack. And even if it were, this TAS would probably desync somewhere. Not to mention this TAS likely wouldn't sync if played back on lsnes anyway (when converted to .lsmv beforehand).
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
fsvgm777 wrote:
PikachuMan wrote:
If you so insist on the CD quality music, then just go ahead and watch the "all stages" TAS that was done on the PSX version (which is an official release, mind you). But....yeah, as Samsara said, it's not an acceptable hack. And even if it were, this TAS would probably desync somewhere. Not to mention this TAS likely wouldn't sync if played back on lsnes anyway (when converted to .lsmv beforehand).
Well, BizHawk doesn't support MSU1 enhancements yet and yeah the hack isn't acceptable anyway. I would prefer the Sega Saturn version.
PikachuMan wrote:
I would prefer the Sega Saturn version.
Would you like a TAS of Nights: Into Dreams while you're asking?
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
PikachuMan wrote:
I would prefer the Sega Saturn version.
You do realise that as of now, the only re-recording Saturn emulators we have (Yabause and BizHawk's Saturn core, itself being based on Yabause) are complete and utter garbage, right? The worst part about Yabause in general is that's horrendously inaccurate, yet somehow is ridiculously slow. Oh, by the way, please do us a favour and stop asking for encodes and/or TASes of any MSU-1 hacks that don't even alter the level design.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
SyncSettings.json wrote:
{"o":{"$type":"BizHawk.Emulation.Cores.Nintendo.SNES.LibsnesCore+SnesSyncSettings, BizHawk.Emulation.Cores","Profile":"Performance"}}
How is that possible? Also, it doesn't sync for me with fresh 1.11.7 unzip and matching rom (even with SyncSettings removed).
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Mega Man X3 does not even run in BSNES Performance mode. BSNESHawk falls back to Compatibility mode immediately when you load up the ROM. And it synced straight out of the box for me as usual, don't know what the issue is on feos' end.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3241] SNES Mega Man X3 "100%" by Hetfield90, nrg_zam, GlitchMan in 42:16.24
Active player (251)
Zero zips in seahorse stage catches my eye!! I love this movie.