Experienced player (852)
Hey everyone, I just started organizing a project I'm calling TASMania and if you're interested I could use your help. TASMania is the quest to publish Tool-Assisted Speed runs for all 714 Nintendo licensed US / PAL game-carts. This project was inspired by TMR's NESMania project, and is fortunate to leverage assets (e.g. the spreadsheet, the games list, goals, ...) and knowledge from it. Hopefully this will be a fun way to motivate people to fill out more of the NES library with tool-assisted runs. Additionally if people are looking for interesting games to TAS this project will be a good resource. There are quite a few interesting NES games that lack runs. Project resources: I have created this spreadsheet for the project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14mIIGHU4hzK1atRsVgMtwc8hNkUc2Ty48loCNj8O9Bc/edit?usp=sharing I have also set up a discord here: https://discord.gg/jkWAm6k This forum thread may also be a good place for general project discussion, though in-depth discussions about specific games probably belong in the forum thread specific to that game.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Question. What about (exclusive) FDS? Edit: 2 Errors I have spotted. Both under my TASes. Mappy isn't Mappy-Land. Mappy-Land is a completely different game (for Mappy). Mario Bros. Classic Edition is German Only (has an FDS version) and has been TASed.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Experienced player (852)
The project was motivated by NESMania which only includes licensed games from North America and Europe. I figured the easiest thing would be to use the game list already created for that project, and as a result FDS is not included. I have not looked, but I do imagine FDS also has some interesting games that do not have runs.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Cyberball and Cybernoid point to the same TAS Elevator Action and Eliminator Boat Duel suffers the same problem. So does Mike Tyson's Punch Out and Milon's Secret Castle
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
I suppose you spent not 1 hour to make this speadsheet!)) "Forum threads" and "Known WIPs" are empty... OK, what about first: some games have multiple threads (with useful info in each). Are you going to suft them all? Yeah, the project idea is good. TASVideos exists for more than 15 years and we still haven't finished any of platforms)) Because: 1. Our community has over 7600 registered users, but only 30% (±) have publications and only 1-3% stay active nowdays. Many people register just to make a single submission and forget about us) 2. We are aimed to make high-quality TASes. Some games require team work and side assistance. That's why some games are not TASed or/and published yet. You can grab 70% TASes of NES games just by replacing YouTube videos to your list.
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Experienced player (852)
@Warepire Thanks. It looks like Cyberball and Eliminator Boat Duel do not have a TASes so i have cleared those. Milon's secret castle does have a TAS, but it was pointed to the punch-out info by mistake. I have now fixed these, thanks for pointing them out. @Dimon12321 Even with having TMR's spreadsheet as a starting place I probably spent at least 8 hours on it already. Compiling that info was probably more tedious than you would think. Samsara was already planning to clean up the NES section of the forums (consolidating threads, etc.). That will help me fill in the 'forum threads', and the 'known WIPs' is just something I haven't started on yet. I figured it was worth posting the main info without some of those details.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
link_7777 wrote:
Samsara was already planning to clean up the NES section of the forums (consolidating threads, etc.). That will help me fill in the 'forum threads', and the 'known WIPs' is just something I haven't started on yet. I figured it was worth posting the main info without some of those details.
For a progress update on this, I've got over half of the threads (about 500) in the NES Games forum catalogued so far, though there are a lot of duplicates and non-game threads so the information's not much use. Once all the merging/moving/grueing is done and the IRC channel hates me for making TVA spam it with maintenance messages, I'll probably make and sticky a master thread containing links to the remaining threads, which should be a lot easier to glean from for the spreadsheet.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
I expect you won't sort some WIPs that don't contain games' names in their names and discriptions. As far as I know, it's not possible to choose the game from the list if there are no submissions of ABCXYZ game. I hope you know what I mean))
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3520)
Wow pretty neat idea here, cleanup and organization is always nice. Good luck with this effort!
Editor, Skilled player (1171)
Rejected Overlord TAS. I do claim it was a serious attempt, and unless someone finds a major glitch, or perhaps a sub-frame reset for save-glitching, we're not likely getting a faster run. Rejected due to the fact the run as a whole is probably RTA viable, given some practice. Well, it's one run we can probably write off as done and rejected. One less game to think about, unless someone comes by and figure out how to beat it faster than me.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Overlord or any other rejected run could always get a second opinion. I never felt confident about the triviality guideline for games that otherwise fit Vault rules. I know why it's in place and I was fine with using it as a rejection reason, but it's probably on the antiquated side at this point. Either way, the submission will always be there for future reference.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Be sure to add Hudson Hawk and Beauty and the Beast (Europe) when you get the chance. EDIT: For anyone participating, feel free to start with some games that already have SDA runs to work off of. They should require less work to get you started!
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
Can someone please add speedruns.com times to the spreadsheet?
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Skilled player (1705)
TASeditor wrote:
Can someone please add speedruns.com times to the spreadsheet?
Hey, this got me thinking. Occasionally, for certain obscure or smaller scale (online, but most likely affects NES too) games, the records are hosted solely on twitch or someone's youtube channel (or some other video site) and nowhere else. Is there a way to "easily" search it? I know a naive way would be to google, but even then, if the video gets removed, is there any way to get the times (and video) back? Similarly if the video is hidden in some obscure foreign site how would they be found?
Player (170)
I made this. Maybe it can be useful. Everything sorted in chronological order of the first release. It's like 99% finished, but i'm pretty tired to finish it completely and polish it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/729dldgjjymto7x/Ultimate%20100%25%2B%20Famicom%20NES%20Game%20List%20v0.99.ods?dl=0 It can slow down your PC. I warned you. There could be some mistakes too
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2056)
What about games that tend to always be rejected on this site...i.e. timed Sports Games without crazy glitches, Chess games, etc. How can there be hope to include those?
Active player (324)
Some games will never be accepted, but I think we'll still make the best TAS we can for them. Ideally, once all the publishable games are published, we can simply begin counting movies that are made but not published, and perhaps get a wiki page up to list TASed games that are unpublishable but part of the project.