Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Please nominate eligible TASers. Rookie TASers are TASers whose first movie publication was in this award year. Voting until 2016-01-14 23:59 UTC. Nominations Rookie TASer of 2016: Challenger DrD2k9 hidaigai Hyperresonance Invariel nrg_zam RobynS thepackle The winner: RobynS
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
nrg_zam and hidaigai, for working on some really nice stuff, with a lot of meat on it.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
RobynS - Heaviest Hitter.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Good year for rookies, but I give the nod to Challenger and RobynS for doing good and prolific work on unrepresented games.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Editor, Expert player (2015)
Challenger because I'm obsessed with Prince of Persia.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Nthing Challenger and RobynS, for sure. Even if I'm completely alone on this, I have to nominate DrD2k9, almost entirely because of one single post. Emphasis is mine:
DrD2k9 wrote:
I really respect the comments and philosophical questions raised by ais523. I also appreciate that he/she is willing to share his/her perspective. If this submission serves no purpose but to have drawn out these questions/comments/concerns about the deeper philosophical positions on TASing games, then I feel that it was a worthwhile submission regardless of the ultimate decision on the video. That said, I have a minor issue with your suggestion that TAS videos have to somehow exhibit or exploit things about a game that the developers didn't want or didn't expect. Some of us newer (and likely some older) players aren't as experienced with computers and/or programming as others in the community may be; yet we still have an interest in this hobby. As an example, I'm in healthcare and haven't deeply studied software and computers. I just enjoy video games and enjoy the challenge of TASing. It's essentially a puzzle to me. For those of us who don't understand the various intricacies of the technology or aren't versed in coding, simply completing a game as absolutely fast as we find possible using TAS techniques is exciting enough of an accomplishment even if nothing was attained outside of the developers' intents. Even if/when my TAS attempts are rejected by the community, I still feel a sense of accomplishment in something I approach as a hobby, because I've still done something I would never have been able to achieve while playing a game normally. I'm simply suggesting that, as a community, we guard against potentially alienating current or future members by requiring that submissions perform something beyond developers intent. Again I appreciate that ais523 shared his/her thoughts. It's communication than strengthens what we do. Just look at how many submissions have resulted from collaboration for proof.
Absolute perfection. Despite a fairly high number of game/goal choice rejections and mostly ignored Vault publications, I absolutely think he deserves the award because of this sort of mentality: TASing should be about having fun, getting better, learning more about the craft, doing what you want, and taking everything in stride regardless of how positive or negative the feedback is. Staying motivated even in the face of rejections and negative backlash, continuing to do what you want in the face of a community that's constantly forcing you to produce what they want to see, keeping a positive outlook on everything no matter what... And a high work rate doesn't hurt, either, especially considering that both his game and goal choices are so barely explored that I'm surprised he's managed so many high tech quality runs in such a short amount of time while needing to do all the research and optimization by himself. Challenger and RobynS also fit this mold really well, and I'm just super extra glad this whole trio exists on the site right now, keeping us supplied with fresh, excellent runs of games that would not get the time of day otherwise. I've always felt the site should be a repository for the fastest and best TASes of anything, not just a dick measuring contest for how fast you can make a popular Nintendo character move, and without these three we would have a lot less of the former variety and a lot more of the latter "get the yardstick, I saved 3 frames".
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Editor, Skilled player (1410)
Prince of Persia improvements were really interesting, in my opinion the TAS of the first game is entertaining and should be a Moon. Actually, this and some of the other vaulted movies by Challenger have a high entertainment rating, which means, I think, more people agree with me about that. Robyns, by the other hand, was impressive with the huge amount of movies she got published, and surely some of her individual movies are really good too, so it's a difficult decision. I might end up voting for both of them.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
Editor, Expert player (2313)
thepackle because I'm obsessed with Tony Hawk's Underground.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Nominating: Challenger DrD2k9 Invariel RobynS DrD2k9 is nominated on the same grounds as in Samsara's nomination.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Samsara wrote:
Despite a fairly high number of game/goal choice rejections and mostly ignored Vault publications, I absolutely think he deserves the award because of this sort of mentality: TASing should be about having fun, getting better, learning more about the craft, doing what you want, and taking everything in stride regardless of how positive or negative the feedback is. Staying motivated even in the face of rejections and negative backlash, continuing to do what you want in the face of a community that's constantly forcing you to produce what they want to see, keeping a positive outlook on everything no matter what... And a high work rate doesn't hurt, either, especially considering that both his game and goal choices are so barely explored that I'm surprised he's managed so many high tech quality runs in such a short amount of time while needing to do all the research and optimization by himself.
True, we shouldn't only look at quantity of the runs one has contributed. It's not "the most productive rookie" award, but "rookie" in general, so every aspect has its value. And I always like treating TASing as something more than just speed competition, so I second this nomination.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Challenger has been putting out a fair few good runs. The games are generally not the most interesting, but the TASes themselves are quite good shows of effort. nrg_zam and hidagai have both put out some high-quality TASes of Mega Man X series games. My nominations go to these three.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
nrg_zam and hidagai.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Challenger wrote:
nrg_zam and hidagai.
I second those nominations.
My name is 4N6/Forensics.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
lxx4xNx6xxl wrote:
Challenger wrote:
nrg_zam and hidagai.
I second those nominations.
You cannot second them as they have already been seconded and even thirded.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Bobthefloater
He/Him
I'm nominating Hyperresonance for his run of Banjo-Kazooie, which has led to his being thirded for N64 TASer of the year.
Active player (434)
nrg_zam and hidaigai definitely
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Editor, Expert player (2015)
Voting Challenger because I like him and he did Prince of Persia.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
Voting nrg_zam for great contribuition of Reverse Wall Jump trick on Mega Man X, X2 and X3!
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Jules
Any
Skilled player (1144)
Aw. Thanks all!! <3
Emulator Coder
RobynS wrote:
Aw. Thanks all!! <3
Congrads on a well deserved win miss. We hope to see much more from you in the years to come.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
RobynS wrote:
Aw. Thanks all!! <3
Congratulations! You did an excellent work on 2016! I watched some (or more of your runs)! Good luck and good TASing in this year, 2017!
Emulator Coder
Challenger, although you didn't win, you did a terrific job this past year too. I look forward to more from you also.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
Nach wrote:
Challenger, although you didn't win, you did a terrific job this past year too. I look forward to more from you also.
Very thanks, Nach! Well, I did 6 runs this past year + 2 more runs in this year! (4 new games, 1 improved SMS TAS, and 3 Prince of Persia TAS - SNES 1 and 2 & SegaCD version).
Editor, Skilled player (1410)
Congratulations, you deserved it! Great work this past year :)
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
Player (195)
Congrats :) Lots of great work from Robyn and everyone nominated
Projects: Banjo-Kazooie Any% with FFM