(Link to video)

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk-1.11.8.2
  • BIOS : SCPH1001.BIN
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Contains speed/entertainment trade-offs

About the game

The third game of the Naughty Dog's trilogy, and once again Crash must stop the plans of Doctor Neo Cortex.

Comments

Speed/entertainment trade-offs

If you put the SFX volume to 0 (aka SFX off), the cutscenes when entering (and sometimes leaving) levels will not play, saving some seconds each time. The drawback is that you will only hear the levels music and absolutely nothing else for the whole run. Since this can be quite annoying and doesn't save that much time (around 30 seconds), this glitch wasn't used.

The Item Glitch (or Box Glitch)

When you jump on multiples enemies in a row, you get some bonus. After an absurd number of bounces, you can even get crystals or other special items.
Number of bouncesItem on the next bounce
0Nothing
1Wumpa
22 Wumpas
33 Wumpas
4Life
5-109Nothing
110-199Time Trial Freeze
200-263Crystal
264-299Nothing
300-363Gem
364-399Nothing
400-463Sapphire Relic
464-499Nothing
500-563Gold Relic
564-599Nothing
600-663Platinum Relic
664-699Nothing
700-763Power
It wasn't intend to be able to get so many bounces, however it is possible thanks to 2 programming errors : you can increase the bounce counter when you are jumping on boxes, including the arrow boxes, and the counter won't reset to 0 when you reach the ground as long as you are spinning/sliding/crawling.
Note that for bounce boxes, you must spin at the same frame you jump on them, else the counter will be reset to 0.

Movement

Crash's speed is ~1.41 time faster (square root of 2) when holding two directions at once (i.e. Up+Left, Up+Right, Down+Left or Down+Right) than only one direction, thus when going to a specific direction, it's faster to "zigzag". For example, when going Up, it is faster to alternate Up+Left and Up+Right than just holding Up. The best zigzag can only be achieved with the analog.
MovementApproximate Speed/100000
Walking/Spinning7.0
Zigzag Walking/Spinning9.8
Neutral Slide Jump (NSJ)11.9 then decrease by ~0.2 every 2 frames
Sliding11.9
Zigzag Sliding16.8
With TAS precision, Sliding+Spinning is faster than Sliding+NSJ, but there is a limit to how much Crash can spin without a break, so from time to time I had to do a NSJ.

Stage by stage comments

Unlike Crash Bandicoot 2, you can't get 25 crystals at once in any of the first 5 levels. In fact, there is only one arrow box, in level 4, and only 4 enemies you can jump to, which is just enough to get 5 crystals in this single level. This is still faster than doing the first 5 levels regularly.
To get the remaining 20 crystals, the choice was between Tiny's level and level 6, but for various reasons Tiny's level is significantly faster in the end.

Level 4 (Bone Yard)

There are 56 frames between each bounce on an arrow box, so any bounce I can get elsewhere that costs less than 56 frames is worth the cost.

Tiny

The duration and the number of lions depend if Tiny have 3 HP (wave 1), 2 HP (wave 2) or 1 HP (wave 3) left. To get 25 crystals, I must jump on enemies 225 times (Tiny works like a box, i.e. by jumping on him I can increase the bounce counter but I cannot get an item).
WaveCycle durationMaximum number of jumps possible
Wave 11056 frames10
Wave 21152 frames12
Wave 31218 frames15
Given these numbers, the optimal route is Wave 1 x2, Wave 2 x2 and Wave 3 x12, for a total of 226 jumps (including 2 jumps on Tiny). When exiting the level, a cutscene starts (because SFX is on), and by stopping it at a specific frame, the game will not do the animations it is suppose to do (throwing Crash out of the vortex, the same thing will be done after N.Tropy). As an important side effect, Crash will not do the crystal animation he is supposed to do 25 times, saving more than one minute.

Dingodile

Beside the first hit, nothing can be done to beat him faster, except the Dingo Dance Skip (see Possible Improvements)

N.Tropy

When you are close to him while he is still throwing his attacks, he will cast an unavoidable and instant death attack. However, the attack will not hit if you are in an invulnerability state, and the game only checks from time to time if you are too close to him, so I just have to move away from him during these checks. Also, he starts his second attack pattern sooner if you are hit by the last fire ball of the first pattern.

N.Gin

Most of his weapons must be hit 20 times to be destroyed, and the missiles easily got in the way.

Dr. Neo Cortex

With a good angle you can hit him as soon as possible and still throw him in the hole in two hits.

Possible improvements

• Better movement
  • Getting more jumps in any of the waves in Tiny's level would lead to some time to save
  • Dingo Dance Skip : At the end of the Dingodile fight, it's possible to skip Crash's dance, however the reasons for this are unclear (it is assumed that it's due to some loading problems in the game) and I wasn't able to replicate it no matter what I tried.
  • Gate clip : There is a single instance of someone able to clip through one of the electric gate in the warp room, and nobody has ever been able to do it again since. At the very least, it would allow to not fight Dingodile, N.Tropy and N.Gin.

Special Thanks

• The8bitbeast for his level 4 video which motivates me to start this TAS
  • The Sprash community for their constant support and advices

Suggest screenshot :

frame 52554

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: The item glitch makes the first half of the run drag on quite a bit; nevertheless, the run was received quite well. Accepting to Moons as a first publication for this game.
Spikestuff: Publishing!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Wonderful TAS! I was following your WIPs, by the way. Though it's not exactly what I expected to see, but Box Glitch run still deserves attention, applause and my Yes vote!
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
Finally! A Crash Bandicoot 3 TAS! Yes vote!
Enjoys speedrunning, playing and TASing Oddworld games! Has TASed: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in 12.06.13 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Adventures II in 20.03.78 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:08:28.4 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:05:01.65 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:18 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:15 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:!5.44.12 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 13:01.3 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 12:59.95 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:16.27 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:01.07 Currently working on: Waiting for Windows TAS Tools to work so I can TAS PC version of Exoddus.
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (157)
Yes vote! It was about time for this game to have a proper TAS. But it still deserves a run without this box glitch or maybe 105%.
Active player (432)
Sorry but voting no because of the box glitch. I fastforwarded basically the entire run because of repetitiveness. I assumed you did all of that to reach the final boss but it really took away all the entertainment for me.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
The8bitbeast
He/Him
Expert player (2523)
Yes vote. It's great seeing all of this come together. While the jumping can be a bit repetitive it was cool to see the jumps in the Tiny fight optimized. There was some good playaround in the bosses too.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Oh God, I'm going to receive so many pings for this. Luckily the performance at the Lions were strong enough to prevent me from voting Meh. I'm Voting Yes. Bit of a shame Dingo Skip wasn't possible. Thank you for screwing around in Tropy. I haven't seen that in a long time since... well I did it first, and Pete did it later. I was a bit upset you didn't show Cortex throwing the Bombs to the nothingness (behind him). Anyways. Good Job. And I'll claim this puppy for publication when it gets accepted... Also... we seriously need to make a better name for this glitch. For both Crash 2 & 3 as they share the same respective glitch.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Expert player (2581)
What about "Leap and Skip Glitch?" I think the word "skip" has a double meaning and in this case should fit better since he does not use a box most of the time. But whatever it's called, the glitch is pretty interesting and although it's a little bit repetitive sometimes, it didn't make me want to fast forward the run. So, I'm voting Yes.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Love from Sprash: So yeah. "item glitch" as it's essentially glitching for the crystals... which is an item.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Post subject: Re: #5368: lapogne36's PSX Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped "Box Glitch" in 18:27.42
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Wow, I was not expecting this! Very nice glitched run, and it managed to not get boring despite some sections that should have been repetitive. That's a lot of lag frames though.
TASVideoAgent wrote:
Unlike Crash Bandicoot 2, you can't get 25 crystals at once in any of the first 5 levels. In fact, there is only one arrow box, in level 4, and only 4 enemies you can jump to, which is just enough to get 5 crystals in this single level.
What happens if you bounce on the box 20 more times before finishing the bonus level? Can you achieve a 225 jump counter that way?
Editor, Skilled player (1278)
I can only get items by jumping on enemies, it's just that I would have got crystals #220 to #223 instead of crystals #200 to #203
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I hope nobody has secretly preclaimed this for publication? Because I'm going to, since I can't publish the 4 damn runs that are still there in the cue waiting for a publisher. Spike, you have enough already, if you want more, go grab some of those 4. Ping.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Spikestuff wrote:
And I'll claim this puppy for publication when it gets accepted...
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
I edited it now since I can't read.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3316] PSX Crash Bandicoot: Warped "item glitch" by lapogne36 in 18:15.46
Not bad.
stump
He/Him
In Bone Yard, would doing a nitro jump (off the nitro a little before the bonus area) have counted toward the jump counter?
Editor, Skilled player (1278)
No, unfortunately a nitro jump doesn't increase the counter