Submission Text Full Submission Page

FINAL INPUT FRAME: 11,609

note to self: stop playing games with horrid controls
chancool recently found a skip in stage 3 that saves ~20sec in rta
in early 2016 joetronicx3 made a tas of this game/category before this skip was found
there's a chance this tas won't get accepted because of it being a shortened version of the game
but making this tas was actually rather tedious and i can assure you i will never play this game again

GAME OBJECTIVES:

• become BigSimb

EMULATOR USED:

• bizhawk 1.11.9.1

MOVIE OBJECTIVES:

• fast
  • cub mode / easiest difficulty

ROLLING:

• saves 5-10 frames

EXTRA JUMPING:

• jumping in some areas can save just as many frames as rolling if not a couple extra
  • seems like there is a window you're able to obtain said couple extra frames

NOTES PER STAGE / CAN THIS TAS BE IMPROVED?:

STAGE 1: HELL

• this stage is the end of man
  • for some reason my stage 1 did not go as planned :)
  • i did what i could and made it out alive
  • i'm 100% sure improvements can be made here

STAGE 2: FUN

• i think i did a pretty good job at optimizing this stage
  • a lot of this stage is just an auto scroller
  • that being said this stage has some cool tricks in it imo

STAGE 3: RNG (skip notes)

• it is rng if the hyenas will attack or be sleepy (fairly easy to manipulate)
  • 2 hyenas need to get bopped to unlock the 2 corresponding doors
  • there is a possibility that the hyenas can be dealt with in a different way
  • aside that i think the optimizations here are pretty decent
  • skip happens at the top of the first (and now only) climb in this stage
  • the new skip is very straight forward.. just hit left at the correct time
  • this trick skips a nice sized chunk of the stage including 2 other climbs and a damage boost
  • nice work chancool for finding skip

STAGE 4: R-TYPE

• this is a lagless autoscroller.. i think my strats are safe

THINGS YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW?:

• in comparison to rta timing this turned out to be 3:00.9
  • surprisingly found no lag in this game thus no lag reduction of any kind needed
  • wouldn't be surprised if the human race decayed before seeing one prince mode tas or rta (yes, that is a challenge)
  • i was hoping to get sub 3 tas timing but you have to press A to start the credits.. rip

feos: This run only plays through the 4 levels that are available on the easy difficulty (Cub). The other 5 levels are only available on harder difficulties (Prince and King). Even though beating the Cub mode does give the credits, all the viewers agree that this 9-level game doesn't feel completed if one just reduces the challenge to make things easiest, and only beats less than a half of the game. This is the case when the easier difficulty setting isn't justified, so for any future submission of this game some other difficulty should be picked, to show the entire game. Judging by the FAQ though, King difficulty only reduces your health and increases enemies' health, so Prince mode would be enough here.
Rejecting for the flawed goal choice.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5386: StarvinStruthers's GB The Lion King "Cub" in 03:14.38
If you know it won't be accepted because it doesn't complete the game, why submit it? You could certainly post the progress on the game's forum thread and ask for assistance with the rest of the game if you're too frustrated to finish the whole game.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Post subject: Re: #5386: StarvinStruthers's GB The Lion King "Cub" in 03:14.38
Player (26)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
there's a chance this tas won't get accepted because of it being a shortened version of the game
Dude, seriously.
Player (172)
evknucklehead wrote:
If you know it won't be accepted because it doesn't complete the game, why submit it? You could certainly post the progress on the game's forum thread and ask for assistance with the rest of the game if you're too frustrated to finish the whole game.
i actually didn't know, thus i submitted the movie read the bottom where i challenge anyone to do a prince mode tas or rta man will perish before the chance is ever had give this tas a chance
Player (172)
anyone else is welcome to make a prince mode tas it won't be me :)
Player (172)
feos wrote:
Link to video
yo feos can a guy get his name on the youtube vid or did you make that?
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
StarvinStruthers wrote:
It's an unlisted video... so there isn't any harm being done. Also, you didn't have to do 3 posts in all that, you could've just directed all the answers/statements/queries in a single one.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Dwedit
He/Him
Played it on easy mode, and didn't even finish the game. Yeah...
Player (172)
Dwedit wrote:
Played it on easy mode, and didn't even finish the game. Yeah...
nice thank you for playing somebody has a valid opinion here awesome thoughts on prince mode?
Player (172)
Spikestuff wrote:
StarvinStruthers wrote:
It's an unlisted video... so there isn't any harm being done. Also, you didn't have to do 3 posts in all that, you could've just directed all the answers/statements/queries in a single one.
why is it such an importance to people on this website that everything i type is neatly organized in one post? i wasn't saying any harm was being done i was legit asking if he made that tas im new here dont know how stuff works im only here because this is where people post their tas its becoming very obvious thats all i'll be doing here not going to spend much more time in these threads lol not much fun when people constantly telling you what to do without being supportive in any way do what yall want with this tas just a reminder that prince mode will never be made that is the only point i've been trying to make and i would still love for someone to prove me wrong and make the prince mode tas
Experienced player (994)
StarvinStruthers wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
StarvinStruthers wrote:
why is it such an importance to people on this website that everything i type is neatly organized in one post? i wasn't saying any harm was being done i was legit asking if he made that tas im new here dont know how stuff works im only here because this is where people post their tas its becoming very obvious thats all i'll be doing here not going to spend much more time in these threads lol not much fun when people constantly telling you what to do without being supportive in any way do what yall want with this tas just a reminder that prince mode will never be made that is the only point i've been trying to make and i would still love for someone to prove me wrong and make the prince mode tas
You've mentioned 4 times throughout all these posts that you'll never do prince mode. Once is enough, and it was never brought up. Feos made a temporary encode of your TAS. He didn't make a new one and post it here. This is so that other people can watch your work without having to download the file and run it in their emulator, if they even have one as well as the rom. People get notified whenever a post is made, so we try to complete all of our thoughts in one post instead of treating the forums like a chat room.
Player (172)
WarHippy wrote:
StarvinStruthers wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
StarvinStruthers wrote:
You've mentioned 4 times throughout all these posts that you'll either never do prince mode. Once is enough, and it was never brought up. Feos made a temporary encode of your TAS. He didn't make a new one and post it here. This is so that other people can watch your work without having to download the file and run it in their emulator, if they even have one as well as the rom. People get notified whenever a post is made, so we try to complete all of our thoughts in one post instead of treating the forums like a chat room.
it was brought up twice with comments of the shortness of the game thus i brought it up multiple times in hopes that someone will understand thank you for explaining the video link i do not get notifications from this website thus i thought nobody did i'll just do my best to stay away from the threads thank you
Experienced player (852)
I recall playing this as a kid, and it is a good port. I don't believe this should be published though since I don't consider it to be a valid completion of the game. There are other examples like this, NES Double Dragon II for example stops you short of the final boss on easier modes, and thus is played on "Supreme Master". I look forward to a full run of this game, or any other you may choose to tas.
StarvinStruthers wrote:
i'll just do my best to stay away from the threads
Can you instead explain what the "cub" branch means, gameplay-wise, and how is it different from what you expected to get accepted instead of it?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (172)
link_7777 wrote:
I recall playing this as a kid, and it is a good port. I don't believe this should be published though since I don't consider it to be a valid completion of the game. There are other examples like this, NES Double Dragon II for example stops you short of the final boss on easier modes, and thus is played on "Supreme Master". I look forward to a full run of this game, or any other you may choose to tas.
so am i going to get banned if i (yet again) bring up the fact that the prince mode tas will never be made? i honestly dont know what else to reply to this with
Player (172)
feos wrote:
StarvinStruthers wrote:
i'll just do my best to stay away from the threads
Can you instead explain what the "cub" branch means, gameplay-wise, and how is it different from what you expected to get accepted instead of it?
well cub mode is half(?) of the entire game iirc prince/king mode adds 4 more levels (it might be more/less i dont remember) after the cub mode section of the game is completed it brings you to some stages that require movement similar to stage 1 thus i will never touch prince mode but in the end.. cub mode spawns credits and if you ask me.. that is completing the game its just a different difficulty setting
Experienced player (852)
StarvinStruthers wrote:
link_7777 wrote:
so am i going to get banned if i (yet again) bring up the fact that the prince mode tas will never be made? i honestly dont know what else to reply to this with
I presume you won't get banned, though I'm not a forum moderator so I can't really be sure. Maybe someone will make a "prince" run out of spite, but never say never, I'm sure there are tons of examples in the forums of runs that were dropped and picked up years later by someone else. As for me I'm a bit tied up with TASMania and RTA practice for the next Big 20 race
Experienced player (994)
StarvinStruthers wrote:
I apologize if you think any of these comments are meant a jabs at you or your work. They are not. No one was ever expecting you to do prince mode since you mentioned in your submission that you will never play this game again, so that's why it's so awkward that you keep mentioning it. It's assumed that people who post a new TAS are somewhat familiar with the process, because it's laid out in every submission. I learned a lot of how everything works by reading the discussion page on several of the published TASes as well as looking at some of the cancelled TASes to see what they did wrong. You get a good idea of what good submission notes look like as well as common questions that come up.
Player (172)
WarHippy wrote:
StarvinStruthers wrote:
I apologize if you think any of these comments are meant a jabs at you or your work. They are not. No one was ever expecting you to do prince mode since you mentioned in your submission that you will never play this game again, so that's why it's so awkward that you keep mentioning it. It's assumed that people who post a new TAS are somewhat familiar with the process, because it's laid out in every submission. I learned a lot of how everything works by reading the discussion page on several of the published TASes as well as looking at some of the cancelled TASes to see what they did wrong. You get a good idea of what good submission notes look like as well as common questions that come up.
honestly 80% of the posts i read from this site directed towards me feel like jabs i keep bringing it up because i want someone to do it (especially if this tas doesn't get published because of the difficulty level)
Player (172)
link_7777 wrote:
StarvinStruthers wrote:
link_7777 wrote:
I presume you won't get banned, though I'm not a forum moderator so I can't really be sure. Maybe someone will make a "prince" run out of spite, but never say never, I'm sure there are tons of examples in the forums of runs that were dropped and picked up years later by someone else. As for me I'm a bit tied up with TASMania and RTA practice for the next Big 20 race
this is exactly what i want to happen also i dont know how to double down on these quoted posts so my bad for anyone annoyed at the fact that i submitted 2 posts back to back
StarvinStruthers wrote:
honestly 80% of the posts i read from this site directed towards me feel like jabs
I only see 2 of that kind here, and even that is only if I unleash my imagination. Criticism is not just normal, it's necessary to help making a good run. But there's nothing intentionally aggressive in this thread.
Player (172)
feos wrote:
StarvinStruthers wrote:
honestly 80% of the posts i read from this site directed towards me feel like jabs
I only see 2 of that kind here, and even that is only if I unleash my imagination. Criticism is not just normal, it's necessary to help making a good run. But there's nothing intentionally aggressive in this thread.
perception is key in this situation perception also differs from person to person criticism is awesome when its constructive i wouldn't take constructive criticism as a jab for instance people telling me not to post so much back to back had no idea why it was a concern until somebody posted something with substance stating that people get notifications so i get it now thanks to a small explanation its just this kind of blind "you're an idiot" feel i get from some people here (not just this thread) im not saying they're wrong but i am saying they could level with me (a new guy) its rather difficult for a new guy to fit in when the higher ups just expect you to get it also a lot of people voted no on this tas i bet they're all dyin to get started on the prince mode tas (this is me saying i want it to happen, if i sound rude its because it might be effective for someone out there to actually do it) anyways i dont want to cause any hate i just want to make tas because im really enjoying it sorry if im being a smart ass PS - at any rate, i think this tas should be published or at least saved to some kind of posting where someone can find it easily for the sake of sharing inputs for someone out there (where ever you are) to make the prince/king mode tas
StarvinStruthers wrote:
criticism is awesome when its constructive
People also post honest feedback about how they feel regarding what they have seen. This is why No votes are given: 6 people didn't get entertained by your tas. That's okay, being entertaining isn't the criterion that would lead to rejection if a run uses either any% or 100% goal. We have the Vault tier for such runs. But even for Vault, the game must feel beaten to get accepted. We don't publish runs that just reduce the challenge to make things easier, hence the hardest difficulty guideline. Simplifying things should be justified in terms of TAS contents, because even if we don't require a run to be entertaining, we still prefer it to be impressive compared to regular play. Basically, if the prince mode allows you to actually beat the game while not taking away any important gameplay aspects, this submission has all chances to get rejected for not having a solid reason for easier difficulty/game mode, exactly because it doesn't beat all the traditional Lion King Levels, and the viewer feedback shows that it's a significant downside in this case.
StarvinStruthers wrote:
perception is key in this situation perception also differs from person to person
As I said, nothing aggressive was said. So you don't have to feel bad.
Player (172)
feos wrote:
StarvinStruthers wrote:
criticism is awesome when its constructive
People also post honest feedback about how they feel regarding what they have seen. This is why No votes are given: 6 people didn't get entertained by your tas. That's okay, being entertaining isn't the criterion that would lead to rejection if a run uses either any% or 100% goal. We have the Vault tier for such runs. But even for Vault, the game must feel beaten to get accepted. We don't publish runs that just reduce the challenge to make things easier, hence the hardest difficulty guideline. Simplifying things should be justified in terms of TAS contents, because even if we don't require a run to be entertaining, we still prefer it to be impressive compared to regular play. Basically, if the prince mode allows you to actually beat the game while not taking away any important gameplay aspects, this submission has all chances to get rejected for not having a solid reason for easier difficulty/game mode, exactly because it doesn't beat all the traditional Lion King Levels, and the viewer feedback shows that it's a significant downside in this case.
StarvinStruthers wrote:
perception is key in this situation perception also differs from person to person
As I said, nothing aggressive was said. So you don't have to feel bad.
again do whatever you want with this tas just make sure its available for the next guy to view/download i honestly thought stating i wouldn't be surprised if mankind perished before a prince mode tas was ever seen was a solid reason for the easier difficulty in stating this i was hoping people here would understand the concept or prove me wrong