Submission Text Full Submission Page
The Chessmaster is a chess playing Computer. It was published for the SNES. (year 1991) The Chessmaster use a chess engine called "The King". "The King" was written by Johan de Koning of the Netherlands.
Game objectives is checkmate the black King.
Emulator used: Snes9X v1.52-rr (svn184)
1. I used fot analysis Stockfish8. (This is a chess) 2. You can't beat the game with the "Shepherd's train". 3. All moves:
  1)e4 e5
  2)♘f3 ♘c6
  3)♗b5 ♘f6
  4)O-O a6
  5)♗xc6 dxc6
  6)♘xe5 ♘xe4
  7)♖e1 ♕d4
  8)♘f3 ♕xf2+
  9)♔h1 ♗f5
 10)♘c3 ♖d8
 11)♘xe4 ♗xe4
 12)♖xe4+ ♗e7
 13)d4 ♔f8
 14)♗e3 ♕xe3
 15)♖xe3 h6
 16)c3 f5
 17)♕b3 f4
 18)♕e6 fxe3
 19)♘e5 e2
 20)♕f7#

Masterjun: Judge to e4.
Masterjun: This submission is a slower and worse version of the NES Chessmaster submission. There is nothing interesting about a chess TAS that shows superhuman skills in video games. The least one can do is fully analyze the AI of the game and find loopholes (maybe on the hardest difficulty). Problem with that is the fact that the computer takes a lot of time to calculate a move. Because of this, a chess replay (and especially this submission) can't get into Moons. Check.
Leaving a single square to move to: Vault. See the discussion thread for various faster solutions to create a checkmate situation. Even simply changing the board layout for less mouse movement would be an option. Despite all this, the Vault page lists board games as a bad game choices which can't be allowed, for good reasons such as the ones stated before. In fact, it even specifically lists Chess as an example for being unacceptable. Checkmate.
Rejecting.
Read this article for more information about various game types and why classic board games in particular are a bad choice for TASing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Doesn't manipulate for Fool's Mate / Two-Move Checkmate (As Black) nor Scholar's mate / Four-Move Checkmate (As White). Also as a heads-up the NES version has a high reject rate.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Patashu
He/Him
Spikestuff wrote:
Doesn't manipulate for Fool's Mate / Two-Move Checkmate (As Black) nor Scholar's mate / Four-Move Checkmate (As White). Also as a heads-up the NES version has a high reject rate.
Depending on how smart the engine is in The Chessmaster, it may never fall for Fool's mate/Scholar's mate. (I don't know anything about this game.)
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Dwedit
He/Him
I'm still a huge fan of the NES TAS of Chessmaster, and think it shouldn't have been Gruefood.
Player (12)
I'm not really seeing the point of this TAS if it's just a standard AI vs AI match. The PNG of the match would be just as valuable and more convenient to use. Speaking of which, the one in the description is invalid. 3) b5 ... is not a legal move. Also, what do you mean by "Shepherd's train"? It's not a standard Chess term.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
Here's a temp encode (this submission, 9380 frames): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsFw_dvuA-E And here's a 90% time improvement for checkmate (914 frames): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUh_MGtESro
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
JorWat25
He/Him
Player (18)
Masterjun wrote:
And here's a 90% time improvement for checkmate (914 frames): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUh_MGtESro
Well, that's certainly an unorthodox way to get a quick checkmate...
JorWat25
He/Him
Player (18)
I'm not a chess player, but I think your notation is wrong. You haven't marked any pieces, meaning it's ambiguous at times. 1) e4 e5 2) Nf3 Nc6 3) Bb5 Nf6 4) 0-0 a6 5) Bxc6 dxc6 6) Nxe5 Nxe4 7) Re1 Qd4 8) Nf3 Qxf2+ 9) Kh1 Bf5 10) Nc3 Rd8 11) Nxe4 Bxe4 12) Qxe4+ Be7 13) d4 Kf8 14) Be3 Qxe3 15) Rxe3 h6 16) c3 f5 17) Qb3 f4 18) Qe6 fxe3 19) Ne5 e2 20) Qf7#
Experienced player (852)
The route from the NES version doesn't work here for some reason? Also I agree with Dwedit, I'm not sure how the snes version will play out, but the nes version should definitely be resurrected and published. It seems the only reason it wasn't is because it was deemed redundant compared to just listing the chess moves, but I disagree (as did the voters).
Masterjun
He/Him
So anyways here's Scholar's mate in 1636 frames: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYuRFtxTIM (lsmv)
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Editor, Skilled player (1410)
SmashManiac wrote:
I'm not really seeing the point of this TAS if it's just a standard AI vs AI match. The PNG of the match would be just as valuable and more convenient to use. Speaking of which, the one in the description is invalid. 3) b5 ... is not a legal move. Also, what do you mean by "Shepherd's train"? It's not a standard Chess term.
The term 'Scholar's mate' in other languages is actually Shepherd's mate. According to Wikipedia, that's the case for Dutch, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Turkish.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
Player (12)
BrunoVisnadi wrote:
SmashManiac wrote:
The term 'Scholar's mate' in other languages is actually Shepherd's mate. According to Wikipedia, that's the case for Dutch, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Turkish.
Cool thanks! :)
Valentin_Svet
He/Him
JorWat25 wrote:
I'm not a chess player, but I think your notation is wrong. You haven't marked any pieces, meaning it's ambiguous at times. 1) e4 e5 2) Nf3 Nc6 3) Bb5 Nf6 4) 0-0 a6 5) Bxc6 dxc6 6) Nxe5 Nxe4 7) Re1 Qd4 8) Nf3 Qxf2+ 9) Kh1 Bf5 10) Nc3 Rd8 11) Nxe4 Bxe4 12) Qxe4+ Be7 13) d4 Kf8 14) Be3 Qxe3 15) Rxe3 h6 16) c3 f5 17) Qb3 f4 18) Qe6 fxe3 19) Ne5 e2 20) Qf7#
I just didn't wrote the figures ,but now i am add ing it.[/left]
Valentin_Svet
He/Him
Masterjun wrote:
So anyways here's Scholar's mate in 1636 frames: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYuRFtxTIM (lsmv)
Thanks for encoding.
Post subject: Years of playing chess lead me to here... Jesus.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Hi small text viewers, this is when it was titled as: #5469: Valentin_Svet's SNES The Chessmaster, Variant Standart "Checkmate ,Variant" in 02:36.08 sees branch Nah, what else would you do in chess? Also, no such thing on that second part. Don't make it up. sees "game" So is this a hack now? sees refined annotations And now that's incorrect for annotating Chess moves. (Unless you're that guy) Edit: Let me update my post sees branch Nah, what else would you do in chess? No such thing on that second part. Don't make it up. Holy molly third one now. You're definitely making it up as you go along. sees refined annotations And now that's incorrect for annotating Chess moves. (Unless you're that guy)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
link_7777 wrote:
The route from the NES version doesn't work here for some reason?
It should work in SNES as well, but you have to set CPU difficulty to easiest. I think I have a video uploaded somewhere but I don't remember where. In any case, it should be reproducible by any competent TASer.
Masterjun
He/Him
FractalFusion wrote:
link_7777 wrote:
The route from the NES version doesn't work here for some reason?
It should work in SNES as well, but you have to set CPU difficulty to easiest.
Alright, did that (1178 frames): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQeV329rU2w (lsmv)
In the NES version, setting up the board, taking moves back, or changing sides mid-game would automatically mean that you wouldn't get the "CONGRATULATIONS!" screen when you won. I guess the SNES version has no such screen; I couldn't remember one way or the other, but now that I check old screenshots of mine, it seems to be the case. So pretty much anything that delivers checkmate will yield the same results (another piece of evidence that the SNES port is really quite shitty, and the NES game is the better one). Still, I wish people would find a way to break the game on its toughest settings, rather than put it in a mode where the CPU deliberately handicaps itself (by simply playing the first move that comes up in its search tree) and call that "beating" the game. At least Newcomer 1 was the default in the NES version; here, you have to select it, thus dumbing the game down from its defaults. It'd be much more interesting to find a way to trick the CPU into poor play, to find a hole in the program's opening book that leads to forced mate (has anyone dumped the opening book?), or to somehow corrupt memory so the Level 13 AI really does believe 2...Ke7 is the best move after 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5. How does Chessmaster respond to multitap or expansion port inputs?
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!