(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a adventure "platformer" game that basically has the plot of Titanic, but came out several years earlier. It is made by the same developers as Clock Tower. This run achieves the worst ending as quickly as possible (any%)
The gameplay is mostly that of a platformer with a few annoying RNG elements to it. In particular, the rotation of the ship in the pipe room (and the later reversal) occurs at a random time and manipulating it to occur exactly as desired was the main improvement of the TAS over a traditional speedrun (also minor execution improvements everywhere, of course).
Future improvements will probably come from better pipe RNG; I did not do a detailed study of it, and merely frame advanced on the title screen until I got a pipe room that seemed good enough.
fsvgm777: Changed the game title to the North American one (SOS), as we always go by the NA title regardless of using the JP version which has a different title.
Fog: Judging.
Fog: Good run, but I personally didn't find a man casually strutting in a suit through a sinking ship that entertaining.
Accepting to Vault.
Fog: Improvements have been submitted since this was accepted, thus I'll be rejecting this until the frame war is over. A new submission should be made once the frame war is over.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5480: ruadath's SNES SOS in 04:44.90
Active player (372)
Interesting enough for a yes vote. I'd love to see the best ending!
Post subject: Re: #5480: ruadath's SNES Septentrion in 04:44.9
Player (79)
ruadath wrote:
... basically has the plot of Titanic, but came out several years earlier.
>:[
Player (33)
I am neither an expert in the game nor have I fully watched this run yet, but I'm somewhat cautious with the time and optimization. The SDA sumbission from many years ago seems to only be 18 seconds slower with equal timing (8 of which comes prior to gameplay). I don't know what, if anything, is different between the language versions of the game, but considering the SDA run is 8 years old I think there's probably some better optimization you can eke out here.
Active player (255)
Omnigamer wrote:
I am neither an expert in the game nor have I...
Neither am I, to be honest. From what I'm aware, the version differences only account for a <3 second time save due to the title screen being shorter (actual gameplay is unaffected since the only dialogue occurs during the waiting period). Also note that the SDA run is fairly well optimized; the current speedrun.com WR is only 2 or 3 seconds faster than the run provided.
Post subject: Re: #5480: ruadath's SNES SOS in 04:44.9
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
ruadath wrote:
This is a adventure "platformer" game that basically has the plot of Titanic, but came out several years earlier.
It is more likely that the game was inspired by the The Poseidon Adventure movie or the original novel which the movie was based on. The bad ending of Jeffrey is one of the worst endings in the game (maybe defeated by Luke's). But well, since we accept some other bad-ending runs for Vault.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Active player (255)
Wow, very happy with the new improvements! Just goes to show how much work there is still left to be done in optimizing this game. Still lots of work to do on RNG manipulation stuff, but here is a very quick improvement by roughly another half of a second, bringing the total number of frames below 17000, and the total time below 4:43. Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy for the next few days and won't really have time to fully optimize this for a bit. Hopefully Dwainium can bring this even lower! EDIT: Encode has been replaced with new version, run time brought below 4:42.5!
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
In my opinion you should collaborate with each other.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... *burp*!
Active player (255)
So instead of spamming the workbench with a bunch of submission threads and then deleting them, can we just unreject this one and replace the file with the latest improvement?