(Link to video)

Goals

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.11.8(can work in 1.12.0)
  • Aims for fastest real-time
  • 2 players

Game introduction

This game's Japanese name is 新・熱血硬派 くにおたちの挽歌. in Wikipedia
It is an excellent two-player action game. Its designer is TECHNOS, which also made Double Dragon. However, this game is better in both playability and story. In this game, player can switch into any one of 4 characters. Everyone has his/her own feature of attack.

Details

Game's feature

This game produces 1 lag every 2 frames.
Some certain scenes produce more. For example, where players in a motorbike, 2 lags every 3 frames.
The amount of enemies in each scene is settled.
Bosses have a short invincible time.

Plot animation

When animation is played, player can skip it by pressing A, B, X or Y.
Players will be in a certain coordinate in most of them. So after clearing a stage, adjusting players' coordinate can speed up animation to save time.

Characters

Characters in prison uniform and female characters have a 31-frame circle of tread, while male characters are 25-frame.
Female characters run (also walk) faster than male characters.
Characters in prison uniform cannot perform skills.
So, use male characters to tread, use female characters to run.

Punch and kick

Punch can be performed every 15 or 19(including lags, the same below) frames and deals 3 damage.
Kick, performed every 23 frames, deals 4 damage.
Normally, enemies can be beat down in combination of 3 punches and 1 heavy punch or 2 kicks and 1 heavy kick.
Enemies taking punch fall down slower but closer, taking kick fall down faster but farther.
So, using punch or kick depends on enemies' location and amount.

Tread and kneeing

Tread deals 3 damage. kneeing deals 8 damage.
Time spent on 3 treads or 1 kneeing is close.
The direction of kneeing can be controlled.
Pressing down can deals damage in advance while jumping by kneeing.
So, use kneeing to leave enemies when they are about to stand up.

Skills

Kunio’s L/R+A has the most powerful strength dealing 25 damage.
Riki’s and Kyouko’s deal 9 damage in a period of time instead of instantly.
Kunio’s and Misako’s can make enemies fall to any distance you want.
So, had better not beat down enemies.
When they are about to be beat down, use Riki’s, Kyouko’s or Kunio’s skills, and then perform tread and kneeing.

Motorbike

Drive motorbike at the maximum speed as long as it won’t bump into walls.

Special occasion

In scenes with hooks, characters can deal more damage for unknown reason.

Glitch

Pressing A at the first frame to catch hooks will lead to a dislocation.
PS: If press left, right and B, characters will be upside-down. Since the glitch makes such a mess, I finally decided not to use it in this run.

Thanks

feos for helping me in some problem about emulator.
Pike for helping me to translated this.

Screenshot

(in frame 34716)

feos: This is a good run, explanations of the decisions and their background helped a lot. This is also a branch that can be considered an any% speed record, which means it could be vaulted if necessary. But the quality of this game is extremely high, its gameplay is varied, despite of mostly being a beat-'em-up. The pace of the run is nice, and even the cutscenes add dramatism, regardless of your knowledge of Japanese. The beginning of the run is still a bit slow and not varied, which some viewers noticed, but later on the game shoots away and showcases all its potential. Accepting to Moons.
Fog: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Former player
This is a tough one to rate. I didn't like the beginning, it was very story heavy and slow, but it got better once the girls joined the party and the gameplay became faster and more varied. It was funny to watch the constant character switching to utilize their abilities (fight with the guys, run to the next fight with the girls), especially at those times when it happened every few seconds. Despite the good parts, I will have to go with a meh, as the TAS did drag on a bit too long for my taste, especially with all the driving sections. Also, what a sad ending!
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
PCachu
He/Him
I'd say something about how Japan's been sitting on Super River City Ransom all these years, but I kind of doubt '90's gamer-kids were quite prepared to have half of their playable characters ganked from the roster by a trigger-happy mob boss. Yeah, there was SO MUCH PLOT at the outset, but the leaping curb-stomps make up for it, along with the bits on the freeway where you trick an enemy into going for the attack just as a turn comes up. Yes Get.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Guys please post more feedback. I got around to watching it and I really loved it! Never expected a beat-'em-up game to be so engaging! But that only starts after the first half of the run, when most people would probably drop and and vote No.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Active player (266)
I really enjoyed it. Some like motorcycle sections don't offer much, but the rest of the game is packed with fun thanks to clever fighting strategies. Very well done. The part of the entertainment comes from the game's overly dark tone. The game seems to take itself very serious, but it's hard to do so when it's all about super deformed characters. At least you have those amusing fights with Misuzu.
fcxiaopengyou
He/Him
Experienced player (546)
Thank you very much for your reply and your favor, recently for personal reasons not to come to the website. I love this game, too. There are many versions of 'Nekketsu Kouha', such as the Renegade of NES, which is basically the highest profile of the whole series, followed by arcade version, which also has another work on SNES. Even on 3DS there is a resurrection. As for the game, I think is the most fun part of this series, because join the dynamic and manipulation of the female characters, plot faults may be the beginning of the story can't skip, so if don't understand Japanese, it will feel a little boring. But as they say, in the late game playable degree is high. If there is any doubt about this movie, I can leave a message and try to answer it. Thanks again.
Working on: [NES] Downtown Special - Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou! (J) ''2 players 100%'' Plan: [SNES] Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba (Japan) _________________ My English is pour. 
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
fcxiaopengyou wrote:
If there is any doubt about this movie, I can leave a message and try to answer it.
Yeah. How different would a 1 player run be? Would it be slower?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
fcxiaopengyou
He/Him
Experienced player (546)
This is true, because the two players' hit can be used with each other to maximize blood, sometimes almost twice as much, and the output is high. In one player mode, although the enemy will less, it will be able to move the map quickly, but it is far from being efficient, and I think the two players mode is more exciting.
Working on: [NES] Downtown Special - Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou! (J) ''2 players 100%'' Plan: [SNES] Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba (Japan) _________________ My English is pour. 
this game looks awesome and have a surpringly deep story for a beat'em all , too bad it's japan exclusive, i'd gladly play this game, run seems good to me yes vote
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3428] SNES Shin Nekketsu Kouha: Kunio-tachi no Banka "2 players" by fcxiaopengyou in 40:41.98
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
After several TASings on NES, welcome to SNES, fcxiaopengyou!
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
fcxiaopengyou
He/Him
Experienced player (546)
Challenger wrote:
After several TASings on NES, welcome to SNES, fcxiaopengyou!
Thank you for your welcome. I will do my best :)
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Now that this game has been localized on Switch in emulated form under the title River City Girls Zero, should we update the game name to the new English one? This would be in line with the Publisher Guideline:
If the game had a release under an English title, use it even if the movie was made on a non-English release
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
River City Girls Zero adds extended content to the base game if I'm not mistaken (yeah shock) so I don't think it's appropriate to name it to that title. Especially when the title was translated in a way to be a spinoff of the 2019 title.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Ah, good points. We'll leave it alone then.
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
Spikestuff wrote:
River City Girls Zero adds extended content to the base game if I'm not mistaken (yeah shock)
Does it though? That doesn't seem to be the case from what I gathered.
Spikestuff wrote:
Especially when the title was translated in a way to be a spinoff of the 2019 title.
It does feel a bit off, but maybe not completely different from what was done for EarthBound Beginnings. Further, the new release still kept the original Japanese subtitle in the logo, so perhaps we can do River City Girls Zero: Kunio-tachi no Banka?
Fortranm wrote:
Further, the new release still kept the original Japanese subtitle in the logo, so perhaps we can do River City Girls Zero: Kunio-tachi no Banka?
Could be a good compromise. You could ask about it in Discord maybe.