The Immortal - for NES

(A game I found interesting as a child even though I never could progress very far.)
To start, I'm a bit surprised that no one has submitted this game yet. While there is a published Genesis run, there are differences beyond graphics including level layouts, combat options, and enemy mechanics.

The Game

The Immortal is an isometric dungeon crawler/adventure game in which you play as an unnamed wizard searching a labyrinth for your mentor Mordamir.
The goal is to collect various necessary items scattered around a labyrinth and use them to progress deeper into the dungeon to continue your search. As with most adventure games, there are unneeded and useless items as well.
Even with the benefit of 3 lives per level, this game is known to be very difficult to play normally as there are numerous insta-death traps littered throughout the game.
There are 7 Levels of varying shape which must be conquered to beat the game; the last two being rather small.
With tool assistance, this game becomes much much easier to traverse.

TAS Notes

• This game is full of lag frames where input is irrelevant.
  • In most cases, hand to hand combat is avoided as it requires a separate combat screen which tends to slow the game progress. Enemies are dodged either on foot or via exploit.
    • The exploit is actively holding the amulet, as doing so temporarily allows enemies to walk right through you without damage or initiating a combat screen.
    • One exception to avoiding combat is at the end of Floor 5 where the wizard must circle the floor symbol clockwise 3 times to open the ladder door. Multiple uses of the amulet would be necessary during this circling therefore taking longer than simply besting the troll in combat.
  • Items are picked up and chests are opened only if necessary for progress.
  • Non-hostile NPCs are only engaged when necessary for progress.
  • This game has two endings.
    • This run does not save Ana thus resulting in the 'Bad' Ending.
    • A run saving Ana would result in a slightly longer run, and would only impact the endgame text. (See below)
  • Death is used once to save time (Mini-Wizard get's squashed like a bug.)

Ending Comparison

'Good' Ending
The journey out of the dungeon takes two days. On the second day, you meet Ana near the entrance. You suddenly become aware that the water has invigorated you with new youth and your association with Ana turns in a direction you would never have anticipated when you met her four days ago...Congratulations! Adventure Completed
'Bad' Ending
The journey out of the dungeons takes two days. As you travel, your thoughts return to Mordamir and the dragon. They were alike in a way; each the only survivor of a civilization destroyed by the other more than a thousand years ago. They were an equal match also, and it seems strange that you would tilt the balance of a conflict forged so long ago...Congratulations! Adventure Completed
  • 'Good' and 'Bad' are labels others have attributed to these two endings, not me.
  • In my opinion, the 'bad' ending actually has deeper meaning regarding the story.
    • The only reason I could concede that saving Ana as being the 'good' ending is the 'saving the damsel in distress' concept and the greater degree of game completion.
    • 'Ending 1' and 'Ending 2' might be better labels.

feos: Judging...
feos: Simplified the branch for now.
feos: Replacing the movie with a 1-frame improvement.
Clearing the branch, as Ana feels like a mere side quest in this version, and only the ending text is different.
And finally accepting this run, as it looks optimized considering the intricacies of the gameplay. It mostly follows the RTA route, just with a bit of tool-assisted efficiency.
The feedback is average, which is as good as this game can get. If you know what's going on, you might get entertained, and after I familiarized myself with this game, it did look alright. But if you don't know the game, it's really hard to appreciate the optimality. In the end it's not ground-breaking compared to RTA. And the look of the game barely changes throughout 10 minutes. Accepting to Vault.
If this was a Moons run, it could make sense to have the Ana version published instead of this probably, but for Vault, I highly doubt that her branch would be different enough to warrant a separately published full completion version.
Fog: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5519: DrD2k9's NES The Immortal in 10:19.20
Pokota
He/Him
Link to video For the benefit of others: the submitted movie file is an FM3 file. For reference, the Spider Den (Genesis level 6) is not present in the NES version. I'm not sure if this is more entertaining for me or not since the Spider Den is all of three major traps (the Giant Spider in the tunnels, the chest full of spiders, and the hall of spider eggs you have to levitate through). Other than getting smooshed by a troll, what time-saving deaths are in the NES version? ...actually, can someone list off what the actual differences between NES and Genesis are? I know you get to use more magic in the NES version but I've never played more than a couple rooms of that one.
Adventures in Lua When did I get a vest?
Player (149)
Saved 1 frame. No need to thank me. http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/39212392916414543
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2056)
Basic Differences: This one may just be me, but the ratio of wizard size to room size seems different. Some level layout changes including door locations and room placement (mostly in early levels). As mentioned above, no spider dungeon. Fireball spells - You do not need to pick up a special spell to shoot fireballs. Sadly, fireballs are only effective on flying enemies. Combat - You cannot defeat goblins/trolls with those fireballs; these enemies must be engaged hand to hand on the combat screen. At least in my opinion, enemies seem to be more direct chasing you and thus more difficult to dodge in the NES version. Other than the missing spider level, these aren't drastic changes
TheRealThingy wrote:
Saved 1 frame. No need to thank me. http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/39212392916414543
It may not be necessary, but gratitude never hurts...thanks.
Experienced player (947)
I love this game for his dark ambiance, possibilities and ferocity! Very hard to finish in casual! I have 2 little questions for you: -When you make smaller after drank the potion, you going on the enemy (6.25) and you reappeared to a differente position... It's a bug or well it's normal? -Have you intention to make the version or Ana don't die, in a futur project? I'm very entertained and it's clearly a good job! YES vote
GAW sms... Totally destroyed
Pokota
He/Him
Not saving Ana is the usual speedrunning branch, since the difference is a slightly more stressful stage 4 combined with just a different sprite and some story differences in the ending.
Adventures in Lua When did I get a vest?
Experienced player (947)
Pokota wrote:
Not saving Ana is the usual speedrunning branch, since the difference is a slightly more stressful stage 4 combined with just a different sprite and some story differences in the ending.
If i understand well, it's just more longer and uninteresting to watch, for nothing more! Me, I knew more the Genesis version but I had can played on NES sometimes. In a numerous occasions, I had can noted than "TASing", can cause some changes of a vision to entertaining due to tools assisted than the speedrunning don't have, Can be is it possible in this game! I don't know and you are clearly more infomated than me on this. Thank you for this answer, but I will like have DrD2K9's oppinion.
DrD2k9
He/Him
zoboner wrote:
-When you make smaller after drank the potion, you going on the enemy (6.25) and you reappeared to a differente position... It's a bug or well it's normal?
First, I'm glad you like the run. The position change going from small to regular size is normal and results from the enemy killing the wizard. He simply re-spawns in the room in a different location than where he was killed by the enemy. This is an instance where death is used to save time. In order to return to normal size without dying, you have to use another potion that is obtained from the same room the death happens in; it just takes more time.
zoboner wrote:
-Have you intention to make the version or Ana don't die, in a futur project?
I had originally considered doing a 'good ending' run, but as Pokota stated its extra time and work for very minimal change to the game. In fact, the only a change is the endgame text on the NES version; the graphic sprites of the rope coming down at the end of the game are the same with both endings. Sprite differences between endings are only on the Genesis version. See http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/c/immortal.htm and http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/c/immortalbad.htm for screenshots of both the NES endings. I had submitted this run with the 'bad ending' branch name while I was still planing on doing runs of both endings, but I have since changed my mind. Truthfully, I don't know if the differences between endings are enough to warrant multiple branches for this game. As far as the branch name is concerned, I'll leave it up to the judge and/or publisher to determine if a branch is necessary if the run is accepted for publication.
Experienced player (947)
Thank for those links and your answer! And hope your run will be accepted.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
1. Should I update the movie file? 2. Does bad ending equal not saving Ana? Or they are some sort of subsets of one another?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
DrD2k9
He/Him
feos wrote:
1. Should I update the movie file? 2. Does bad ending equal not saving Ana? Or they are some sort of subsets of one another?
Answering those in reverse order... They are the same thing (I'm terrible at naming branches). As I mentioned in my earlier post, the branch probably isn't necessary at all given the only difference in the 'good' ending on NES is the text change at the end. It can be eliminated as far as I'm concerned.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
You went answering 2 questions in reverse order and missed one of them in the process :P
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Oops... Yes. The movie file should probably be updated...even for 1 frame, better is better.
Stovent
He/Him
Publisher
Encode done : Youtube HD Downlodables Screenshot :
[17:37:00]<TheCoreyBurton> It's N64 - it's ALWAYS bad news.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3447] NES The Immortal by DrD2k9 in 10:19.20
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Huh, looks a bit like Diablo...