(Link to video)

Golf

Golf is an implementation of golf for the NES and is one of the so called 'black box' games.
The game has 18 holes for you to play. As you might expect there are 4 of each of par 3 and par 5, the rest are par 4. This TAS gets a hole in one on all par 3's and 2 strokes on all other holes resulting in a total of 32 (a whopping 40 strokes under par!).

Emulator Used

Bizhawk 1.12.1

Game Objectives

• Complete the 18 holes as quickly as possible.
  • Complete the 18 holes in as few strokes as possible.
  • As it turns out there is quite a bit of overhead per stroke, more for loading the green. This means fewer strokes is faster, and I avoid the need to putt.

Mechanics

• Left/Right change the aim (to one of 16 possible directions)
  • Up/Down change clubs
  • "A" initiates the swing, sets the power, then sets the aim (in that order, three button presses)
  • The wind is the only RNG in the game and it is set when the hole loads. Per each frame the wind cycles through each of 8 directions then from 0-15 MPH (there are still 8 frames for 0, but it is directionless).
  • The game tracks pixel and sub-pixel position for the ball, and the hole is one full pixel in size.

Strategy

• Find ways to get to the hole in 2 strokes (1 for par 3 holes).
  • This primarily involved using a lua script to check a large portion (but not all) combinations of 2 strokes with different power/aim.
  • Aiming through a hook/slice (hitting the aim early or late) was preferred over changing the aim manually before the shot since the background reload when you change the aim takes time.
  • Wind can for the current hole can be manipulated by delaying the last shot from the previous hole. This is done a fair amount in the run.
  • The lower angle shots (e.g. 1W) execute faster per unit of distance and have the added benefit of being quicker to change to (default is 1W when the hole loads).

Hole by Hole Commentary

Hole 1

• Frames delayed on previous hole: 0
  • Hole Position: X:0xC1 Y:0x2F
  • Clubs Used: 4W, 3W

Hole 2

• Frames delayed on previous hole: 1
  • Hole Position: X:0xA5 Y:0x3F
  • Clubs Used: 3W, 3W

Hole 3

• Frames delayed on previous hole: 78
  • Hole Position: X:0xD2 Y:0x5F
  • Clubs Used: 1W

Hole 4

• Hole Position: X:0xA9 Y:0x41
  • Clubs Used: 1W, 4W

Hole 5

• Frames delayed on previous hole: 3
  • Hole Position: X:0xD0 Y:0x27
  • Clubs Used: 1W, 4I

Hole 6

• Hole Position: X:0xA6 Y:0x37
  • Clubs Used: 1W, 3W

Hole 7

• Hole Position: X:0xA8 Y:0x2D

Hole 8

• Hole Position: X:0xA8 Y:0x2B
  • Clubs Used: 1W, 3I

Hole 9

• Frames delayed on previous hole: 20
  • Hole Position: X:0xD3 Y:0x53

Hole 10

• Hole Position: X:0xCE Y:0x3B

Hole 11

• Frames delayed on previous hole: 32
  • Hole Position: X:0xC4 Y:0x5A

Hole 12

• Hole Position: X:0xE2 Y:0x62

Hole 13

• Frames delayed on previous hole: 7
  • Hole Position: X:0x9B Y:0x27
  • Clubs Used: 1W, 1W

Hole 14

• Hole Position: X:0xAD Y:0x6F
  • Clubs Used: 4W

Hole 15

• Frames delayed on previous hole: 6
  • Hole Position: X:0xC7 Y:0x56

Hole 16

• Frames delayed on previous hole: 4
  • Hole Position: X:0xD1 Y:0x30

Hole 17

• Hole Position: X:0xE2 Y:0x35
  • Clubs Used: 1W, 5I

Hole 18

• Frames delayed on previous hole: 5
  • Hole Position: X:0x92 Y:0x2A
  • Clubs Used: 1W, 1W

Improvements

My botting with Lua did test a large portion of possibilities, but there could easily be something that slipped through the cracks. That said, minor improvements would be somewhat likely to be swallowed up in waiting for favorable wind directon on a par 3 (as there are fewer variables to manipulate).

Thanks to:

• my Twitch chat for the ideas and encouragement
  • The TASMania team
  • あ~とぞん (nicovideo uploader of a prior Famicom Golf TAS and presumed author) for the strategy for hole 3. Also TempestWay who uploaded that video to youtube.

Screenshots:

8985, 11720, 19081

Masterjun: Judging.
Masterjun: Great run. As a person who likes Lua scripts and botting myself, I really like the work put into the TAS and the result is great. However, everyone can agree that this game is repetitive (due to the nature of Golf) and the TAS is predictable (due to the nature of TASing). Both are bad aspects for the entertainment of the run.
As it stands now, I will accept this run into the Vault. Due to the good viewer feedback though, this run has a chance to move up to Moons if the ratings are good enough.
Fog: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5537: link_7777's NES Golf in 04:58.49
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
*clang* *woooooooooop* *click* *beep beep beep* (repeat) Good run, but going to have to vote no.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
FORE! *ducks* No vote (repetitive), but good stuff.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
Mothrayas wrote:
*woooooooooop*
*wooooo°°ooooop*
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3520)
I played this game a lot as a kid, pretty cool to see a TAS, voting yes!
Active player (372)
The changes in each hole's layout was interesting enough to give this a yes vote. Good work!
Experienced player (947)
And FIFA it's coming soon or not? It's just a joke, not for injure yourself! I watched this with a great attention and the first thing than i have noted, it's as some levels are exactly as in Wii golf sport! Don't blame NINTENDO for his lack of imagination, because honestly, What can they add at a golf game? I don't know maybe suggest new levels! Just for laugh, not for to attack this entertaining system! Great job but not good game genre for create entertaining, sorry but i need more than the ball who fall quickly in hole for this! I search always a solution for not vote no, for the authors respect and because I love tool assisted super play but in this present case, I think everywere can make this easyly, I repeat it's not against you, but when I know your great capacities, you should let this at an unexperienced newbe's, imagine Mothrayas or Adelikat submit PONG, THIS HAVE NO SENS. I'm just an little TASer and know my opinion is zero but it's clearly an NO vote.
GAW sms... Totally destroyed
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2056)
zoboner wrote:
...imagine Mothrayas or Adelikat submit PONG...
I wouldn't be surprised if one of them could find a way to make even PONG interesting. As far as this submission is concerned: I had actually started working on this game as well (through maybe 3 or 4 holes) but without LUA help. I don't know LUA well enough. It's quite a difficult game to optimize (not to mention tedious without the LUA). Kudos to link_7777 for completing it! While I'm excited to see the result...this game isn't very entertaining to watch. Voting 'Meh' because the work and result deserve better than 'No.'
Experienced player (852)
zoboner wrote:
... I think everywere can make this easyly ... you should let this at an unexperienced newbe's ...
I believe your case here is that this was easy and a newbie could have easily done just as well. I assure you it was much more difficult than it looks. As DrD2k9 pointed out if you were to try it by hand (without Lua) you would often find yourself some frustrating number of sub-pixels away from the hole. A good point of comparison is the TAS on youtube by a Japanese player. It does much more club switching, has to putt once, and is over a minute slower.
Experienced player (947)
link_7777 wrote:
I believe your case here is that this was easy and a newbie could have easily done just as well. I assure you it was much more difficult than it looks.
I follow your work in general and find as it's very good... I hope don't injured you when I say that?! But I can't vote no and don't explain why, because i find it's impolite. Principal reasons for vote no are: I'm not entertained and game genre choice! Like i said and I repeat: your work is great and i know how many it's hard to create a LUA for obtain this result! Usually, if i have a doubt, I verifie directly on BIZHAWK with a numerous tries, I go immediatly on emulator, maybe than it's more difficult than I said. If it's right, then I will present My excuses for have said that!
Experienced player (947)
Ok it's clearly more difficult, i made exactly 437 re-records just for won the first hole and stop my tries at hole n°2 with 752 re-records and the ball don't enter in the hole! It's true and I joint you when you say the ball stop every time at 1 pixel of the hole arggg! I have a great patience, then i find it's not very difficult to make tried intensive or repetitive, but I PRESENTE TO YOU MY EXCUSES, because it's some more difficult to make this job than i think.
I used to enjoy this Golf game quite a bit when I was little, and I enjoyed watching your TAS as well! There's something kind of hypnotizing about watching the ball expertly guided to perfect shots each time. Yes vote from me :)
I was entertained.
Personman
Other
I'm voting yes on this excellent submission, but I'm voting SUPER YES on zoboner's character development over the course of this thread, which has been adorable.
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3445] NES Golf by link_7777 in 04:58.49