Submission Text Full Submission Page
So, this is my first submission here, and since I am pretty new to tool assisted running, I decided to go with a game I wasted my last two years on: Tetris. I decided to get the NES rom and FCEUX and started toying around, then I made this "secret grade" run.
The goal is basically to build to the top of the field leaving one hole per line, starting bottom left and up to the right, then keep building up in the other direction, leaving holes in a ">" shape. The reason this is called secret grade is because it is an actual thing to do in the Tetris: the Grand Master series, and when you do it, you get rewarded with a "secret grade" at the end of your game. I then decided to restrict the piece drops to only O, I and T, just to have the entire field filled with white blocks, making the result better for the eyes. I didn't go with S/J or Z/L because it would have made the challenge way too hard, if not impossible.
Then it was all about re-recording almost every piece drop to get a good piece on the "NEXT" box.

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Hello Oshisaure, and welcome to TASVideos.
For your first submission, you came with a pretty novel and interesting idea, and it was mostly performed decently well (although it lingers on the opening screen for about five seconds longer than necessary). However, as a category, it doesn't really make sense to run a goal that's actually for a different game. And as a playaround, while this is a reasonable attempt, people did not like it as much as [1502] NES Tetris "playaround" by Baxter in 02:17.36, which runs a more complicated pattern.
To get a Tetris playaround published, you will have to surpass a movie like that in style value, and this submission does not cut it in that regard. So, I'm rejecting this submission.
Better luck next time!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5539: Oshisaure's NES Tetris "monochrome secret grade" in 01:15.21
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
So basically this: [1502] NES Tetris "playaround" by Baxter in 02:17.36 But shorter and much less unique? Sign me to that No vote. Try again next time.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
This is a cool run! Great job! Unfortunately, as Spikestuff mentioned, we already have a published run that aims to create the most impressive/difficult pattern. As you can probably tell, the pattern of our published run is more complicated than this one, so this one loses in that respect. If you still want to challenge that movie (and try to obsolete it), try thinking of an even more complicated pattern to create!
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Oshisaure
They/Them
Player (83)
Thanks for the feedback, that was quick. I'll be honest, I knew about Baxter's run, so part of me expected that. Maybe I'll give it another try with something else.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... *burp*!
Patashu
He/Him
Oshisaure wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, that was quick. I'll be honest, I knew about Baxter's run, so part of me expected that. Maybe I'll give it another try with something else.
If you specifically want to obsolete Baxter's run, I think your best shot would be to make pixel art. Maybe NES/GB era Mario or Link?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Would it be possible to make multiple images?
Oshisaure
They/Them
Player (83)
I wanna say in theory every arrangement that has an even number of blocks and doesn't have a full blank line with blocks above it is possible. In practice tho, especially if you want colors to match, that's another deal. I can always try. As for multiple images, different images can be done, if not on top of each other then one after clearing up the other. So technically I can showoff as many pixel arts or patterns as I want (kinda like the brain age playarounds), if people would not get bored in 10 whole minutes of falling blocks that is.
Skilled player (1706)
Can there please be an encode of this? Or at least a screenshot of the result.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
jlun2 wrote:
Can there please be an encode of this? Or at least a screenshot of the result.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.