(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure

Most people scoff at the idea of a video game based around McDonald's, however this game was produced by Treasure, the same company that made the games Dynamite Headdy, Wario World, and Mischief Makers. Ronald and his friends find a piece of a Treasure map, that leads them on a search, along the way they encounter a Giant Tomato, a Goblin-like alien, and a pirate named Captain Lips, each of these bosses give Ronald a piece of the magical treasure map, which then changes its form and leads them to the moon. They hop on a rocket and travel to the moon, the rocket crashes and they have no way home. Ronald is abducted into an alien spaceship, where he must then find and fight the final boss. The final boss guards the treasure, which was a chest that allows Ronald and his friends to travel home, which is all they wanted in the end.

Reasons for choosing Beginner difficulty over Normal or Expert

• Beginner has the fewest amount of screens, cutting out on quite a few autoscrollers.
  • Beginner is the shortest category, so this is also effectively an any% category, but it does not obsolete Sonikkustar's Expert TAS.
  • This is a different category from Sonikkustar's TAS of this game
  • Beginner is the most run version of this game on the leaderboards.
  • People in the MTLA community wanted to see what an ideal run would look like without any mistakes, which are always present in WR runs, no matter how small.

Controls:

• C - Jump
  • B - Attack
  • A - Scarf (allows Ronald to grab onto hooks)
These buttons can be changed in the options menu.

Basic Mechanics:

• When on the ground, using the Scarf and Attacking force Ronald to stand still.
  • Jumping allows Ronald to use the Scarf and to Attack while moving.
  • Crouching and Attacking optimally has 16 frames between each attack.
  • When Ronald falls to the bottom of the screen, if he has a balloon, that will be used to save him. This can be controlled.
  • The amount of damage Ronald does is based on his Magic Level. The maximum level is 3.

The Run

Glitches/Exploits used in the run:

• Damage Boosting - This is pretty straightforward, when Ronald takes damage, he is boosted upwards and backwards. Ronald must be moving into an enemy to get the damage boost. This is used twice on 1-2 (Tree) to get onto platforms that have an otherwise slow path to get to.
  • Scarf Glitch - The scarf can be used to avoid the boosting effects of damage, however Ronald still takes damage. This is used extensively in the run.
  • Animation Cancelling - Many different places in the game can be exploited to cancel the attacking animation. This allows attacks to happen quicker than the standard 16 frames. Most notable usages of this are during the first boss, and the final miniboss.

Monitored 68K RAM addresses:

Address Function Length
A640 Boss Health 2 Bytes
The address for Boss Health has some interesting properties:
  • None of the bosses had Health that used the upper byte, yet when modified it still gave the boss more Health.
  • The first, third, and final boss die when their health is less than 0x0064 (100), and the second boss dies when its health would be less than or equal to 0x0000 (0) after being attacked.
  • Modifying the boss's health below their kill value resulted in them dying, yet not triggering the cutscene for killing them.

The Secret Code:

• There is a code that can be input during the main menu. This unlocks a level select by pressing START GAME, or going to OPTION allows the language to be set to Japanese. This saves over a second in the run.
  • (The code is Left Right A B C)
  • The run is done on the US ROM, yet in Japanese because the Japanese ROM has more levels, so is slower.

The Major Discovery:

On the second Ship level, after encountering Captain Lips, there was a new strat that was found by me, that skipped a cycle, it saves 4 seconds over the previous WR strat.
  • This is the biggest time save found in the game, and is what allowed sub 20:20 to be possible RTA, although it hasn't been done yet.

Time Saves over current RTA WR (20:20 by Boon_7)

This will go over the Time Saves that are not basic movement.
  • On 1-1, after using the second zipline, landing on the platform and jumping down saves 1 frame.
  • On Cave-1, there is a different strat used with the hooks in the waterfall section. This allows Ronald to constantly be moving. It is not RTA viable.
  • On the first boss fight, animation cancelling is done to save 8 frames.
  • On the second boss, animation cancelling saves a few frames.
  • On the Sea autoscrollers, lag reduction strats were found, these are used in WR, but weren't previously.
  • The third boss is animation cancelled extensively and performs the quick kill. If WR would've done this it would be sub 20:20.
  • In the third room, using a slope on the bottom of the screen saves at least 5 frames.
  • The final miniboss uses a lot of animation cancelling and saves a lot of time, I didn't bother timing it compared to WR strats, as optimizing it took multiple hours.
Before making this TAS WR was 20:26 by DeathJohnson. After discovering the fast strat on the second Ship stage, WR was tied, and then beaten three times by Boon_7. Before I could even get this up, Boon has managed to get the WR to be a 20:19.
The RTA timing of this run is a 19:57

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: The technical quality of this run looks good. It looks better than the published Expert difficulty run. And as a comparison TAS for Beginner real-time runs, it certainly does its job.
However, the difficulty setting chosen is an issue here. Choosing Beginner difficulty rather than Expert difficulty skips certain stages/sections, and this affects more than just autoscrollers. Skipping out on stage content is generally a bad reason to pick a lower difficulty, and in this case I don't see it being justifiable enough to obsolete the Expert difficulty run (especially considering the mixed feedback), nor to publish it alongside that run (as the content overlaps too much). Without a viable way to publish the run, I'll have to reject it.
I do look forward to a new Expert difficulty TAS with the same level of optimization as this run.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Editor, Experienced player (549)
Looks solid and well done, why not?
You can see more TASes on my youtube channel
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Player (26)
This is less entertaining than the current run, so voting no. Also, if you're going to use a cheat code to swap the language, why not simply take the international ROM instead? (edit) Also, non-TAS speedrunners do this on Expert level just fine.
Player (22)
Radiant wrote:
This is less entertaining than the current run, so voting no. Also, if you're going to use a cheat code to swap the language, why not simply take the international ROM instead? (edit) Also, non-TAS speedrunners do this on Expert level just fine.
The Japanese ROM has more levels so it is slower in the end. This is why all the runs on src are done using the US rom, with the option to change to Japanese The reason I did the run on beginner is because it is the most run version of the game. I am aware people are able to do the Expert version, I run this game. The expert version TAS is also very outdated and the strats are not anywhere near as RTA viable as the ones for beginner. This run was done because the community wanted to see the run, and it has been very useful in discovering new strats.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Oh man, it's this game again! I never really understood how the boss fights work, where you seem to be forced to give away some of your life in this kind of "sucking" animation they do. Also, you part with a bit of your life to help out your buddies at some points. Captain Lips is strange :/ I am definitely in favor of fewer autoscrollers, so I'm fine with having a Beginner run. I also have no issues with version or language choices here. Given the higher play quality, I would recommend using this to obsolete our current Expert run, and this could in turn be obsoleted by an updated Expert run. (Though separate categories would be fine by me... we have at least a few platformers which are played at Easy difficulty level on this site.) Also, there is one main reason I prefer Beginner level: the final boss fight is WAY shorter. That fight is torturously long in Expert difficulty.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Player (22)
mklip2001 wrote:
Oh man, it's this game again! I never really understood how the boss fights work, where you seem to be forced to give away some of your life in this kind of "sucking" animation they do. Also, you part with a bit of your life to help out your buddies at some points. Captain Lips is strange :/ I am definitely in favor of fewer autoscrollers, so I'm fine with having a Beginner run. I also have no issues with version or language choices here. Given the higher play quality, I would recommend using this to obsolete our current Expert run, and this could in turn be obsoleted by an updated Expert run. (Though separate categories would be fine by me... we have at least a few platformers which are played at Easy difficulty level on this site.) Also, there is one main reason I prefer Beginner level: the final boss fight is WAY shorter. That fight is torturously long in Expert difficulty.
Yeah, for some reason you do have to give your health to the bosses to be able to damage them. This reason is explained by the hamburlar before the first boss, saying it gives them a stomachache and makes them vulnerable, I don't get it either. The bosses were actually pretty easy to optimize. Captain Lips was fun because i was able to manipulate RNG to get more fun results on the drops, nothing too big though. I will eventually be working on a new expert TAS with sonikkustar. The hardest thing to optimize was actually the miniboss in the room right before the final boss.
Former player
Are there actual gameplay differences between difficulties or is it only about the number of levels? If the gameplay is the same, this category seems kind of arbitrary to publish. I definitely disagree with the decision to use a cheat to switch the language to Japanese. The fact that the actual Japanese version has more levels is not a very good excuse, in fact, it's an argument in favor of the Japanese version. I understand that for RTA runners, it is interesting to find the shortest way to beat a game, no matter what. But from a TAS perspective, it's much more interesting to use the most complete version of a game, played on the highest difficulty.
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!