Submission Text Full Submission Page

Game objectives

Please describe the game briefly.

You can jump off the veranda by getting all the effects and throwing out all the effects in the door room.

Operational confirmation environment

I made it with windows XP, but I check the operation with the following two.
The hourglass setting is the default.(Start System Time:6000)
  • WindowsXP 32bit
  • Windows10(Set hourglass and YumeNikki to "Windows XP(Service Pack3)" compatibility mode and start it.)

Movie

For those who do not know about this game

Yume Nikki is a game that enjoys the ambience, there is no clear purpose. It is a game to enjoy seeing lots of (unique ambience) events. The ending of this game is one. I am aiming for the fastest until ending at this run.
The following is the official explanation.
  • It is a game that roams around the world in a very dark, dreamy setting.
  • There is no particular story or purpose. It is just a walking game.
  • If you check a specific character in a dream, "effect" will increase.
  • The appearance of the hero changes when you use "effect". (At this time, pressing the ten key 1or 3 has some unique movements and effects)

Cautions

In the ending, there is expression that reminiscent of suicide and bloodshed expression.

Fog: Judging.
Fog: From a technical point of view, there's nothing obviously wrong about this submission.
However, it is using an unofficial English translation of the game. We have rules which explicitly state that fan translations are not allowed.
Do not use fan translations, cracked game versions, or otherwise hacked ROMs — translators do not want you to use obsolete versions and we prefer non-hacked games.
And slightly farther down:
Do not use fan translations for your movies — see above for more on this. This rule is strict.
As the author stated in the submission discussion, he has already created a JP version of the TAS, and the same glitches apply. With this in mind, there is no reason to accept this version.
Rejecting for using an unofficial fan translation.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5566: poco_cpp's Windows Yume Nikki "best ending" in 09:57.83
Judge, Skilled player (1288)
Hello and welcome! This game is incredibly obscure and interesting. Yes vote from me!
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Active player (434)
voted yes,just a question for the site's staff: Since the character commits suicide,will there be a viewer's disclaimer?
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Experienced player (630)
grassini wrote:
voted yes,just a question for the site's staff: Since the character commits suicide,will there be a viewer's disclaimer?
Don't we use death to save time often in runs anyway? :-P OK. I have a couple of things to say regarding this movie. First off, hello and welcome to TASVideos, we hope you enjoy your stay here. I really enjoyed this run quite a bit, and it's a great improvement over previous attempts from others. However, there's one big concern I personally have with this run. It seems you used the English translation of this game, which I'm very iffy about. The movie uses a glitch to move extremely quickly throughout the maps, but it seems that it only happens on the unofficial English version and not on the original Japanese version of the game. This is a major concern since it hasn't been confirmed that it works there anyway. Also, according to the site's rules, unofficial translations of games are not allowed thus not being accepted by the judges. All of this worries me because I really want to see a published run of this 14 year old game, but this one has a chance of being rejected (DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT, there's no need for cancelation, just wait and see what happens), but in terms of me liking this, it's a well made movie that entertained me, thus I'm giving it a Yes vote. Hopefully were going to see more from you. :-)
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Now that I think about it, there is another problem: if the TAS fails to get in Moons, would it be still Vaultable? Because Vault is applicable only for the fastest game ending and the best ending.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
poco_cpp
He/Him
Player (184)
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
This game is incredibly obscure and interesting. Yes vote from me!
Thank you for your yes voted.
grassini wrote:
I am sorry that the description is missing. In the ending, there is expression that reminiscent of suicide and bloodshed expression. I will add it.
Kurabupengin wrote:
Don't we use death to save time often in runs anyway? :-P
There is no action to die in this game.
Kurabupengin wrote:
OK. I have a couple of things to say regarding this movie.
Thank you for your comment! It is my first post on TAS Videos so I will learn a lot. I understood why this run is rejected. It was a failured for RTA to challenge with English version with a large population. I want to wait until rejected. However, the Japanese version of TAS is also completed, and I would like to contribute in Japanese version if there is no problem. There was a concern that glitch would not occur due to Japanese version concern, but it will happen if you apply an official patch. I believe that the version of the Japanese version is the main body + the official patch was completed game, is this acceptable to TAS Videos? I want you to comment if you know. Finally, I'm happy that you have enjoyed this run.
poco_cpp
He/Him
Player (184)
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
Now that I think about it, there is another problem: if the TAS fails to get in Moons, would it be still Vaultable? Because Vault is applicable only for the fastest game ending and the best ending.
I did not know that there are moons and voltes. I heard that there is a possibility of being accepted yet , I was able to have hope.
poco_cpp wrote:
I did not know that there are moons and voltes. I heard that there is a possibility of being accepted yet , I was able to have hope.
Yes, there is hope, but depends on many factors. One factor is entertaining: if the TAS is not entertaining, it will need to pass the Vault requirements, which are more strict. I'll explain from the Guidelines ( http://tasvideos.org/Guidelines.html#Tiers ):
Tiers We have 3 tiers a movie can be accepted to. If the audience likes the movie ("Yes" votes outweigh "No" and "Meh", positive reaction in forum posts), it is accepted for Moons or Stars. If the movie is found boring, it can be accepted for Vault, but only if it does not contain goals that sacrifice time (no damage, pacifist, etc.), and is a definite time record. Only 2 types of goals are acceptable for Vault: fastest completion time (any%), and full-completion (such as 100% or best ending). If you are not sure the game would be well received, don't include time sacrifices. You can also post WIPs on Forums to collect the feedback and determine the audience tastes.
So, if the TAS gets too many "no votes", then it will accepted only if the branch is "any%" or "best ending". You have written "see ending", but I don't understand what does mean. It is the fastest ending or the best ending?
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Wow... I did not know this game before watching this run, and it's very strange. The fast motion and the crazy scenery are pretty entertaining. I worry that if this game were run in a version that did not have a fast-motion glitch, the game would be way too boring for the average audience member. I don't have much of an opinion about whether this needs to be run in the original language. The precedents we have on this site get a little confusing. Probably the most relevant example is the Cave Story run, which is done in the original Japanese.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
poco_cpp
He/Him
Player (184)
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
So, if the TAS gets too many "no votes", then it will accepted only if the branch is "any%" or "best ending". You have written "see ending", but I don't understand what does mean. It is the fastest ending or the best ending?
I did not know what to write there first. The purpose of the game was to see the ending, so I wrote "seeing the ending", but It seems not so good. As you pointed out, I changed to "best ending". Regarding Vault, I created Yume Nikki TAS (fastest game clear) because I wanted to see by myself. So I believe that it meets the requirements, and I think that this run is probably the fastest.
billybobfred
Other
I haven't played this, but looking into it, I get the impression it only has one ending. I think unofficially, people consider every run of a game with only one branch to be "any%". But it doesn't really matter, I suppose.
I'm just a spectator. There was a time when I tried to participate, but I'm really lazy, so. she/her/hers
Experienced player (948)
HaHa! I nothing understood... oh, yes, just the glitch for increased speed. I never played this game, but it's a very curious like game with a very dark ambient. I had lot of laugh when i watched this. Vote yes, but i think your job deserve more explanation, for understand your stratégies, indeed, I don't know this game, then I don't understand action! Good job.
GAW sms... Totally destroyed
poco_cpp wrote:
I did not know what to write there first. The purpose of the game was to see the ending, so I wrote "seeing the ending", but It seems not so good. As you pointed out, I changed to "best ending".
I found a YouTube video that shows 3 different endings. Is this the official game, or are these fanmade endings? Link to video Edit: this wikia says that there is only one ending: https://yumenikki.wikia.com/wiki/The_Ending
There is only one ending. Any videos or reports of other endings are fanmade or trolls. Yume Nikki is one of my favorite works of art, never mind videogames. I enjoyed this TAS, though this is the only game among my very favorites that I would never personally speedrun. I don't believe there is an official English version of this game (just fan translation patches), so I'd imagine a published TAS would have to be on the Japanese version. I wasn't aware that any of the glitches were achievable on only a patched copy of the game and not the original version, that's very interesting.
Active player (434)
as far as i'm concerned this is the correct ending and is vaultable
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
poco_cpp wrote:
There was a concern that glitch would not occur due to Japanese version concern, but it will happen if you apply an official patch. I believe that the version of the Japanese version is the main body + the official patch was completed game, is this acceptable to TAS Videos? I want you to comment if you know.
I'm not sure about it, so I'm waiting someone from the staff to answer this. By the way, I think it should be fine if the patch has been made and released by the original game author.
poco_cpp
He/Him
Player (184)
I surprised that there are so many people watching for the first time in the Yume Nikki. I apologize that the game description was not enough. I added a description of the game.
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
I found a YouTube video that shows 3 different endings. Is this the official game, or are these fanmade endings?
I saw the area for the first time. So it would be fanmade. There is only one ending in the official.
Orange Claw Hammer wrote:
Yume Nikki is one of my favorite works of art, never mind videogames. I enjoyed this TAS, though this is the only game among my very favorites that I would never personally speedrun.
I think so, too. If I had not seen 8x glitch, I would not have challenged.
mklip2001 wrote:
I don't have much of an opinion about whether this needs to be run in the original language. The precedents we have on this site get a little confusing. Probably the most relevant example is the Cave Story run, which is done in the original Japanese.
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
I'm not sure about it, so I'm waiting someone from the staff to answer this. By the way, I think it should be fine if the patch has been made and released by the original game author.
Thank you. Although it looks almost unchanged, I would like to upload the Japanese version at a later date.(Because the Japanese version is likely to be accepted) Of course I also hope that the English version will be accepted.
Active player (266)
Does anyone know the author of that English translation? I looked at the related fan sites, but none of them tells who the heck made it. It seems that the patch wasn't acknowledged or authorized by the developer, neither. About the run - the game was built in mind for the player taking their time and exploring around its abstract world, so most of its value is inevitably lost when doing the speedrun. It's pretty fun to watch all the weird stuffs happening, nonetheless.
poco_cpp
He/Him
Player (184)
Odongdong wrote:
Does anyone know the author of that English translation? I looked at the related fan sites, but none of them tells who the heck made it. It seems that the patch wasn't acknowledged or authorized by the developer, neither.
I do not know too. I tried to investigate, it seems that it was created with the fan site "Uboachan". There were archives left. http://archive.uboachan.net/media/res/1.xhtml
Odongdong wrote:
About the run - the game was built in mind for the player taking their time and exploring around its abstract world, so most of its value is inevitably lost when doing the speedrun. It's pretty fun to watch all the weird stuffs happening, nonetheless.
I think so, too. The fascination of this game is not transmitted by TAS. However, if you are playing normally, you can not see the fun of TAS. (8x glitch etc) To really enjoy this run is to play the game once. However, I think that it can be said at all TAS. Still, I am glad that I got the comment of "This run is interesting".
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Synced (on winxp) and dumped.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... sweet!