(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
WARNING - POSSIBLY SUBOPTIMAL
In this game, Mario decides that, before he begins his adventure, he will take drugs, for whatever reason. This inevitably leads to him being attacked, chased and stuff.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Hourglass r81
  • Beat the game
  • Abuses... umm... damage?

Comments

I basically just submitted this movie as a PoC, to demonstrate that this game can be TASed, and hopefully is mildly entertaining. However, it does beat the current RTA WR, and demonstrates it is possible to achieve a sub-2:06. (With RTA timing, which subtracts exactly 3 seconds from the start of the run.)

Section by section comments

Up until Mario getting drugged

A couple of precise timings mean this section is done quickly. Nothing special here.

Entering the car

Literally the same as RTA, just I enter the car on the first possible frame.

Happy Faces Fight

This section is even more of an autoscroller than the rest of the game, so there isn't a lot to explain.

Post-Happy Faces Fight

I hate that staircase so, so much.

Sub-Zero Fight

Using a trick recently discovered by L4cherlich, I save 2s (and half a cycle) by deliberately getting hit. This is the least optimised section of the run, but is still done faster than RTA.

Up until Mario undrugging

Nothing exciting here. Just a few semi-precise jumps.

Final few seconds

I hate this staircase even more than the other one.

Other comments

This TAS was a pain to make, because not only did I have to use a very old laptop on a very old OS, Hourglass kept crashing. This TAS has technically been in the works for several months, because all my previous attempts failed. The Sub-Zero fight is probably improvable, especially if faster strategies are found.

Fog: Judging.
Fog: There are a few issues with this submission:
1. Inputs are sub-optimal.
As noted by the author himself in this submission, the inputs are sub-optimal and is more of a proof of concept that this game could be TASed. We don't take proof of concept TASes for publication here, for that we have the Userfiles where users can upload work in progress and proof of concept files.
2. The game is unofficial, and is not of high quality and notability.
Our movie rules are much more strict on unofficial games such as homebrew or hacks. We expect unofficial games to be of high quality and be notable with a strong following. This game is not of high quality, and is only somewhat notable because it's a Mario game with nothing but garbage and stale memes.
Even if the run submitted contained optimal inputs, the fact that it's a poor quality unofficial game makes any submission of this game ineligible for publication on this site.
Rejecting for sub-optimal inputs and poor game choice.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5593: Jhynjhiruu's Windows Unknown Game ""Any/100%"" in 02:18.78
Skilled player (1705)
Windows Normal Super Mario Bros. ""Any/100%"" in 02:18.78
What does that even mean when the game has only 1 stage with seemingly nothing to collect? Also what's "PoC"?
Jhynjhiruu
He/Him
jlun2 wrote:
Windows Normal Super Mario Bros. ""Any/100%"" in 02:18.78
What does that even mean when the game has only 1 stage with seemingly nothing to collect? Also what's "PoC"?
PoC - Proof of Concept There are two categories for this game - Any/100% means beating the game, Softlock% means softlock. Softlock% is by far the least interesting of the two, and this run was literally submitted to prove a point.
Judge, Skilled player (1278)
No vote.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Jhynjhiruu wrote:
There are two categories for this game - Any/100% means beating the game, Softlock% means softlock. Softlock% is by far the least interesting of the two, and this run was literally submitted to prove a point.
Actually to correct you. It's "Beat the Game" or "Softlock%" cause giving it a category such as "any/100%" makes no sense when you're beating a game with no other value it could give you.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Jhynjhiruu
He/Him
Spikestuff wrote:
Jhynjhiruu wrote:
There are two categories for this game - Any/100% means beating the game, Softlock% means softlock. Softlock% is by far the least interesting of the two, and this run was literally submitted to prove a point.
Actually to correct you. It's "Beat the Game" or "Softlock%" cause giving it a category such as "any/100%" makes no sense when you're beating a game with no other value it could give you.
I run this game RTA, and helped define the categories. So, you know...
Post subject: Re: #5593: Jhynjhiruu's Windows Normal Super Mario Bros. ""Any/100%"" in 02:18.78
Player (26)
There are literally thousans Super Mario fangames, and with the current availability of tools and graphic sets any halfway-competent coder could make a new one in just a single afternoon. So what's so special or notable about this one?
Post subject: Re: #5593: Jhynjhiruu's Windows Normal Super Mario Bros. ""Any/100%"" in 02:18.78
Jhynjhiruu
He/Him
Radiant wrote:
There are literally thousans Super Mario fangames, and with the current availability of tools and graphic sets any halfway-competent coder could make a new one in just a single afternoon. So what's so special or notable about this one?
Nothing in particular, just I run it and it doesn't require the mouse. For example, SM63 requires the mouse, so I can't TAS it.
Player (79)
In the barest terms possible: This site would be worse off if this run were accepted.
Jhynjhiruu
He/Him
Bobo the King wrote:
In the barest terms possible: This site would be worse off if this run were accepted.
To be honest, I don't particularly care if this is accepted, I only really submitted it for the purposes of having submitted it. If it gets rejected, I'm not going to hide in a corner and cry.
Player (19)
Jhynjhiruu wrote:
That's a nice Appeal from Authority you've got there. Category names are one of those things with some close to universal rules, and Spikestuff is correct here. Just because you originally helped name them doesn't mean that it was done right- I've renamed and adjusted categories based on community feedback before, as it turned out I overlooked something. I've also been the one pointing out overlooked things. But I digress- this TAS just looks bad. The game choice is fairly poor as there's really nothing interesting to TAS, and the movement speed is very slow. Were there even any other options for route- did Mario have to touch the fuzzy? Voting no, as I was most definitely not entertained.
Jhynjhiruu
He/Him
I have no name wrote:
Jhynjhiruu wrote:
That's a nice Appeal from Authority you've got there. Category names are one of those things with some close to universal rules, and Spikestuff is correct here. Just because you originally helped name them doesn't mean that it was done right- I've renamed and adjusted categories based on community feedback before, as it turned out I overlooked something. I've also been the one pointing out overlooked things. But I digress- this TAS just looks bad. The game choice is fairly poor as there's really nothing interesting to TAS, and the movement speed is very slow. Were there even any other options for route- did Mario have to touch the fuzzy? Voting no, as I was most definitely not entertained.
1. Yeah, sorry about that 2. No there are no route options - it's basically an autoscrolls, without the auto scrolling.
Pokota
He/Him
Jhynjhiruu wrote:
and this run was literally submitted to prove a point.
What point was that, and to whom were you making it?
Adventures in Lua When did I get a vest?
Experienced player (947)
I don't blame you to experiment this TAS, because you love this game and it's a great quality for doing a great things! But, know, than on TASvideos, Mario is sacred for a lot of TASer, then they'll don't permit to doing an only error, and it's very well like it! View, actual Timestoppa and j1h7e7's submission, who make a great job, but who isn't the good goal choice to be accepted on TASvideos... I encourage you to make a new run, with an different game choice, it have a lot of games very interesting and i'm sure you'll find one very quickly ;)
GAW sms... Totally destroyed
Jhynjhiruu
He/Him
Pokota wrote:
Jhynjhiruu wrote:
and this run was literally submitted to prove a point.
What point was that, and to whom were you making it?
1. That this game can be TASed, and could possibly be mildly interesting if someone with more patience than me were to TAS it 2. The world (No-one in particular)
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
In only two minutes, this game's gimmick already outstayed its welcome. Safe to say this was not a very entertaining TAS.
Pokota
He/Him
So, after reading the notes... are there any significant things that can be done with TAS that can't yet be done RTA? Because if not then this is literally just RTA but flawless (and isn't a demo movie in Hourglass Resurrection, which would actually be big news) and isn't even that according to the author's notes since the Sub Zero fight isn't optimized to the extent as the rest of the run (though it does use a new strat, so for myself at least that's something I can overlook) and the description in the video encode itself says "Quite suboptimal, but proves that 2:05 is possible (!)" Personally, I think it would be more TAS-like if you shot exactly enough times to survive the attack of the smiley heads, but that's just me.
Editor, Skilled player (1409)
It doesn't even mater if it's optimal, this game is too bad to deserve a publication here. It seems the author abused of some glitches and some interesting stuff were going on, but for unofficial games that's not enough.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
Pokota
He/Him
I would gruefood delight it as Poor Game Choice since it's actually a windows application and not a romhack, but that would be dependent on it being optimal. This wouldn't even get that much.
Jhynjhiruu
He/Him
Pokota wrote:
Personally, I think it would be more TAS-like if you shot exactly enough times to survive the attack of the smiley heads, but that's just me.
I think that would be cool, too, but not as feasible in Hourglass as many other emulators, and also I'm far too impatient. So I demonstrated shooting every other frame instead (for parts of it).
WTF was that? I couldn't say if it was optimal or not, but it's certainly not a good game choice.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Jhynjhiruu
He/Him
hopper wrote:
WTF was that? I couldn't say if it was optimal or not, but it's certainly not a good game choice.
Yes, I gather. I don't seem to be very good at choosing games.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... want more!