(Link to video)

Jungle Hunt for Commodore 64

This submission uses the same cartridge image as the currently published run which was completed using PAL settings in BizHawk.
This submission uses BizHawk's NTSC settings.
I could not determine which version this cartridge dump is, but there are no obvious graphical or sound glitches with either setting. It may be a universal release.
As such, a run using NTSC settings results in a faster video by about 29.3 seconds.
This submission is thus the faster of the two runs. I feel it should replace the current publication.

Noticeable differences between the runs

• RNG of the monkey in the first stage, the gators in the second stage, and the boulders in the third stage
    • It's possible to manipulate the monkey to not show up by delaying a jump one to two ropes before the monkey would otherwise appear. This can (but not guaranteed to) make getting through vines faster. This tactic is only needed once in this run. The two monkeys that do arise are easily avoided with normal jumps.
  • I play around a bit in the third stage (jumping erratically around while waiting on the boulders).
    • On the last boulder of stage 3, I demonstrate an input glitch than allows instantaneous repositioning of the character further to the right of the screen. Though not done here (as points weren't considered in this run), this glitch could be used to acquire a higher score by jumping/ducking a single boulder multiple times which is normally impossible.

Further improvement possibilities

• I could not discern RNG for boulders. If someone could, more fast-moving boulders could be manipulated resulting in a faster Stage-3 as completion of the stage seems to be based on number of boulders, not time.

Fog: Judging.
Fog: With the recent rule clarification about how to properly handle regions for C64 submissions, I'm accepting this run as a improvement to the previous publication.
feos: Drill Dozer is already encoded by Stovent, so I'll process this one.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5608: DrD2k9's C64 Jungle Hunt in 02:28.35
Active player (372)
Looks well optimized, voted meh for entertainment. Using the glitch to get multiple boulder scores would definitely help on the entertainment front.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2057)
c-square wrote:
Looks well optimized, voted meh for entertainment. Using the glitch to get multiple boulder scores would definitely help on the entertainment front.
I considered doing more glitches, but I didn't think more uses of the glitch would add enough entertainment value to bump this video up a tier to moons (assuming it obsoletes the current run). Perhaps I'm wrong on that. Oh well. There are actually a couple other movement glitches that I could find no benefit for (at least not yet): In the boulder section another one makes it appear as though you are in the canopy for a very brief moment, it may help land jumps faster, but i'd have to investigate this more. Even if it does, it's just a visual thing...it doesn't speed up the game. In the last stage (Saving the girl), there are two similar momentary canopy glitches. One always seems results in instant death. The other usually does, but if performed in the right spot, you can survive and move slightly to the right. Neither is beneficial for this very short stage. As far as I can tell, doing either of these for entertainment/demonstration reasons, would only add to the length of the run.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3491] C64 Jungle Hunt by DrD2k9 in 02:28.35
It takes a certain amount of knowledge to work out if a game is supposed to be PAL or NTSC. If it is a US game company (like Atarisoft, Br0derbund, SYnapse, Epyx, Lucasfilm, Sierra on-line, Electronic Arts, etc.) then NTSC is correct. But sometimes a game s fixed for PAL. so you need to get the unfixed original. But many games require PAL. In the absence of knowing for sure the developer, if the game glitches graphically more on one setting, then the other setting is correct. If music plays twice as fast on PAL at any time, then PAL is probably correct (Bubble Bobble is definitely a PAL game, because the intro music plays at half speed on NTSC.) If one setting has the same speed as arcade original and the other setting is too fast/slow then the one where the music speed matches the arcade is correct. Unless an NTSC-FIX is released commercially, PAL should be prefered,unless we know the game was written for NTSC. most TASes of c64 so far are of NTSC games.