Hi again! Thanks for some free time, I decided to try to improve the current Castlevania TAS. It's 21 frames faster, but due to the different FPS used by FCEU and FCEUX/BizHawk, it's approximately 1.47 seconds ahead.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 2.1.1 (NesHawk core - QuickNES palette)
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Heavy luck manipulation
  • Can be played in both USA PRG1 or Konami Collector's edition.
Quoted from the description of the current published movie: The original Castlevania is set in the year 1691. Simon Belmont must fight his way through the castle and destroy Count Dracula.

Run comments

Most of the stages is the same as the published run. So, Phil and Morrison's run is really very well optimized. But I found some improvements to this run:
  • 1 frame saved jumping earlier at the gate of pre-stage 01 (a lag reduced between transition).
EDIT 23/09: Actually, that frame saved was from different power-on on BizHawk. My flaw that I haven't noted correctly before until now.
  • 4 frames saved on stage 03 by getting holy water without losing time, using the watch (also stops 2 seconds of game time, losing 2 frames at the score)
  • 2 frames saved on the first boss (defeating on the left position instead of right position) and the second boss (using boomerangs for an extra hit), respectively.
  • For some reason, a lag frame was added during the stairs transition of stage 08.
  • 4 frames saved by pausing the game to manipulate the first 'skeledragon' on stage 12 without losing time. Also, a lag was reduced on the way to the second 'skeledragon'
  • And 10 frames saved on the fourth boss by using axes instead of holy water.
Possible improvements
  • Using the watch could be faster on the Stage 06, but due at lack of a boomerang, all of the frames were lost during the second boss.
EDIT 27/08/18: A boomerang drop can be possible with that damage boost on the bat, but with good RNG and timing.
  • It's possible to save some frames skipping one of the stairs of Stage 13 by using the damage boost on the skeleton, but lost later due of a frame rule on the door transition.
EDIT 27/08/18: This can saves 48 frames (aka 3 framerules) if you manage to manipulate the skeleton very well.
  • It's possible to defeat the fifty boss (36 frames faster) using axes. You can pick on the first room of stage 14, but axes are very bad to destroy enemies without losing frames, especially the axemen.
Total score: 250720 (8880 less score than the published run)
If you prefer a run with more score, here's: Userfiles/Info/40724705976887576
(The run doesn't include the axe boss improvement. Score: 262320 - 2720 more score than the published TAS)

Special Thanks

• Phil and Morrison, for the fantastic published run.
  • Grincevent, for the RAM addresses.
  • McHazard, for the axe strategy of Stage 12 boss.

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Great to see how a classic top-quality TAS is not so untouchable after all. Excellent improvement to an already excellent run - accepting as an improvement to the published movie.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5623: Challenger's NES Castlevania in 11:19.03
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
I....did not see this coming. I'll be encoding and publishing this one once it gets accepted.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Never expected to see an improvement for this game Yes vote.
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
Wow, I would not have expected the submission for this run to arrive so soon. Of all the runs on the site, I never thought I would see an improvement to the Castlevania run. Simply beautiful work, I enjoyed every second of it. Who would have thought that axes, of all subweapons, would be the most effective against a boss for once? Yes vote, natch.
Player (223)
I've wanted to improve this run for a very long time, but didn't know of any possible improvements. You did a really good job. Nice work.
<adelikat> I've been quoted with worse
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3520)
Woah improved Castlevania, that's surprising, great work Challenger!
Active player (432)
Anyone who improves a very very solid run, especially from the likes of Phil and Morrison have my respect. Mad props to you Challenger for improving this run! Easy yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
I only checked the previous TAS the first 2 screens years ago. - I also only improved 1 frame before going to the next screen 0:20 at encode - I tried to improve some frames by getting the very first power up by double whipping? or something similar, but it wasn't faster (while it looked like it first) 0:24 So I guess you really TASed it :)
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
Hey Challenger, Phil & Morrison's old Castlevania TAS is one of my fondest works on this website. I wouldn't be able to tell you precisely why that is the case. Castlevania is not the most exciting action game. However, in Phil & Morrison's publication there is a rare beauty and elegance one doesn't often find in TASes. They accomplish a lot with relatively little at their disposal. Unexpected point gains, surprising cross kill chains, and a delightful deliberateness exhibited in Simon's movements: this is what I come for when I engage in my periodic rewatch of their movie. How unexpected, then, to visit the TASVideos home page, and see a new Castlevania entry in the Submissions queue, unadorned with any superfluous "pacifist" or "MSX" tags. How even more unexpected, moreover, to see the author of said Castlevania submission be none other than my dearest Challenger, who so stalwartly persevered in the face of the then-unknown to deliver a marvelous first publication of Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics to the world. Challenger, although I will always have a place in the TAS connoisseur corner of my heart for Phil & Morrison's rendition of Castlevania, your new movie admirably preserves the old's strengths while infusing new life into a classic entry on this site. Your fast growth as a TASer and quickly-established prolific output are admirable. My congratulations to you regarding this submission.
Active player (306)
I'm biased in favor of Castlevania in general, but I'm objectively voting yes... And I don't care if that sentence makes sense or not. Because it's Castlevania. And it's a superb TAS.
Skilled player (1149)
I'm surprised someone improved this run even if it's minor, voted yes. why it shows wrong game-clear time? aren't FCEU and BizHawk run 60 FPS?
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
Thanks all for your commentaries, especially the commentary of Orange Claw Hammer.
MESHUGGAH wrote:
I only checked the previous TAS the first 2 screens years ago. - I also only improved 1 frame before going to the next screen 0:20 at encode - I tried to improve some frames by getting the very first power up by double whipping? or something similar, but it wasn't faster (while it looked like it first) 0:24
Oh! I forgot to mention that I saved a frame on the second screen for some reason. But I sacrified later before getting the watch due of different enemy spawn.
zggzdydp wrote:
I'm surprised someone improved this run even if it's minor, voted yes. why it shows wrong game-clear time? aren't FCEU and BizHawk run 60 FPS?
The emulation timings between FCEU/FCEUX and BizHawk isn't the same.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
i'm as surprised as everybody, the run is great and entertaining , great job on this incredible feat
Active player (266)
Great job for hunting those little improvements. Your dedication to optimization is amazing.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3492] NES Castlevania by Challenger in 11:19.03
Editor, Active player (296)
Things that surprised me most, in disorder:
  • Collecting an axe in stage 11
  • Using pause in stage 12
  • Killing Frankenstein’s monster & Igor with the axe
  • The boomerang gymnastics in stage 5 (although it was identical to the predecessor movie)
  • Stopping for beef in stage 13 (although this, too, happened in the old movie)
  • Stopping for a backwards throw in stage 8 (ditto)
  • Cool strategy at final boss (and again, pause!)
And the fact that an improvement was possible at all.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
I'm an idiot. Actually I haven't saved 1 frame on the very first screen of this game. That frame was from different power-on of BizHawk. So, I fixed that note on this submission. So, I actually saved 20 frames on gameplay while the other frame, is from power-on.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Post subject: whoa nice job
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but nice job with the axe! I was wondering when my run /w Phil would be challenged. Cheers--Josh
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084