1 2
15 16
Former player
If you haven't seen the trial run I made, you can find it here. The trial run collects 1% of the items. My next version will skip that one item. I'm sure people will want to see any% and 100% runs, but I'm leaving those for other people at the moment(mainly because I'm bad at planning routes). I'm putting up some information here for those of you interested in making a run:
Note: After using a weapon, you must wait a certain amount of frames before you can fire again. This applies even if you use a different weapon afterwards. Charging the beam weapon does not apply to this wait. Refer to the list below: Beam weapon - 6 frames Charged beam weapon - 2 frames after releasing Normal missile - 8 frames Super missile - 13 frames Ice missile - 14 frames Diffusion missile - 15 frames (even when uncharged) Bombs - 6 frames Power bombs - 4 frames When turning around, you finish turning slightly faster if you shoot the beam one frame after you press the opposite direction. When falling, it is slower to morph into a ball as you hit the floor unless you needed to be in a morph ball for something. Be sure to test that it isn't faster to turn into the morph ball at the last frame. When speed booster is active, you must hold down for 2 frames to kneel. If you need to change your position, press up for one frame afterwards so that Samus gets up from the kneel. If you need to jump, press left or right for at least one frame before you do. While speed boosting, you can jump into the air without going into a flip. This allows you to kneel upon landing on the ground and keep the charge. While running, let go of every key for one frame. Press A on the next frame. Hold down A and forward afterwards to continue boosting through the air. When you grab a ledge, it is faster to jump onto the ledge than it is to pull yourself up unless you are in the water without gravity suit. When fighting the jumping plant in Sector 2 (TRO), it cannot waste fewer than 3 jumps. Luck cannot be manipulated *during* the battle; you must manipulate it before you see the core-X. When space-jumping, you must fall for 13 frames before you can jump again. I still do not know how long to hold down A for the fastest space jump. When running to the edge of a platform and going down is more important than going forward, jump for one frame before you run off the edge. Do this as soon as you can. It takes exactly 64 frames to fully charge the charge beam. After killing Serris, go left unless you're collecting 100% of the items.
Um, how are you planning on skipping the 1%? It's in a what I believe unavoidable place.
SWOOOOOOOM
Former player
GSGold wrote:
Um, how are you planning on skipping the 1%? It's in a what I believe unavoidable place.
A way to skip it was found maybe a month ago. Megafrost would it be possible for you to set the sound output method from Gameboy to Headphone in your next version? I think it gives a nicer sounding sound, and it will only waste probably 20 frames at max to make the switch.
Former player
Normally, there is a vine blocking the path to the data room. It's vulnerable to super missiles, but of course I do not have those yet. However, it is also vulnerable to a shinespark. It is possible to charge one and use it on the vine, but using it on the vine is difficult and not humanly possible, since you have to scale a shaft very quickly, go through the door, then run off the ledge and activate the spark. The margin of error is very small, possibly non-existant. It is certainly not humanly possible. By skipping the missile tank, it allows me to finish with 0% of the items. This trick should be useful in the any% run...I'm sure there's a missile tank somewhere that is better to pick up than the "unskippable" one. EDIT: BoltR, I'll think about that for a bit. Even if I lose 20 frames, it doesn't affect my in-game time. It might even change luck for me in a favorable way.
Emulator Coder
Already exited about this run :P (And yes, I did watch your prelim run)
Post subject: Your prelim
That prelim run was awesome... I couldn't see a single place where it could be improved
Trial run? I don't see any trial runs here. I see an almost perfect run! Well, there were a few things i spotted but i don't know the game so i don't know whether they were necessary or not.
Former player
The trial run looks great, not a whole lot of ways to improve it save for skipping that one missle and all... Though I wonder, have you thought about using the JP version of the rom? Since that version has a Hard Mode akin to Zero Mission's. Granted there's a lot of text in this game, but that's never stopped people from time attacking the JP version of games before, and the whole Hard Mode availability makes it even better.
Former player
I was thinking about that for a while. But there's just one problem: I don't have the ROM, and I don't know how to find it. But maybe Gigafrost would be able to help me out. I'll bug him sooner or later. There are actually a lot more improvements I can make than it looks like. There are quite a few optimizations to make, maybe some better luck manipulation, and of course that missile to skip.
I would very very much like to see this run happening. Though i have not anything helpful or intellingent to say, i atleast hope you're familiar with all the tricks on http://www.metroid2002.com/fusion/. Other than that, i wish you goodluck! I can't wait to see this run and i hope it's the very first ones of gba runs on this site :)
Former player
I'm sure people want to know how my run is progressing. I've currently defeated Arachnus and obtained the morph ball. You can find the current movie file here. The zip file should contain a savestate to skip the long, boring intro. Any comments? EDIT: Just a note...I'm using the american version.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
Looks good. I think you're about 13 seconds faster than your trial run so far.
Emulator Coder
Very nice. Keep it up. I almost gotta see how you saved that many seconds so fast :P
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
Well, it's difficult to compare them for various reasons so the number I gave could be innacurate within +/- a second or two. It looks like the major savings are from manipulating luck more so that eye guarding the door didn't get nearly as much invulnerability as before, somehow killing the first boss even faster, and slightly better precision overall (probably partly due to not having a frame counter before).
Former player
What was that jumping method you used in your fight with Arachne? Did that let you fire off missiles faster?
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
I needed to back away from him so that when I jumped over his attacks, my angled shots would still hit him. Jumping that way was the only way to do so without slowing down my fire. I also didn't want to start the battle from further back. I don't remember the reasons for that, though.
Former player
I could've sworn I had posted this earlier... The zip file above has been updated. The movie file stops just before I enter Sector 2 (TRO). The second savestate in the zip file should skip to the battle with Arachnus. I am about 24-25 seconds faster than my trial run.
Megafrost wrote:
I could've sworn I had posted this earlier... The zip file above has been updated. The movie file stops just before I enter Sector 2 (TRO). The second savestate in the zip file should skip to the battle with Arachnus. I am about 24-25 seconds faster than my trial run.
How may I watch your trial run? Its not the same type of files at your current run?!
Active player (277)
yeah it's a different emulator version
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
yeah it's a different emulator version
But still Visualboy?
Former player
It's VisualBoyAdvanced, but not Nitsuja's modification. This was the thread with the required version of the emulator: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1651 However, I don't know if the latest version of that one is downloadable, let alone compatible with the trial run.
Active player (277)
Right. I wouldn't bother trying to watch any old runs on those versions now.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
The first Fusion run runs perfectly fine in 1.7.2. If you want to see it, use that version.
Great! I got a hold of 1.7.2 (just for watching Fusion). It seems to work fine. Thanks.
Former player
I've updated the link again. Savestate 3 will bring you to the end of the computer conversation just before the bombs. The movie file fixes a mistake I made in Sector 1 (SRX). At the end of the movie file, I am just about to enter Sector 4 (AQA). I didn't see any way to make the delay just before the jumping plant boss unnoticeable, unfortunately. On the bright side, it could not have wasted fewer jumps.
1 2
15 16