Submission Text Full Submission Page
Toki Tori is a puzzle video game for the Game Boy Color. The game follows a young chick, Toki Tori, and his quest to rescue his younger siblings, still in their eggs.

Memory Address

AddressNameDescription
050ADirectionsIf reaches 8 and Toki Tori stop move
or stop spin around, he becomes dizzy

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: This is a decent effort for a first TAS, but the discussion topic shows that it still needs a bit more work - the fact that 119 frames can be saved in the first level alone, plus other minor errors given in the topic that could be improved, shows me that a second pass is needed to make a TAS that truly pushes this game to the limit. I'm rejecting this movie, but I do look forward to seeing an improved version.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5635: Bluely's GBC Toki Tori in 46:37.69
Judge, Skilled player (1278)
Well made run on a well made game. Yes vote! I'm encoding it in HD since the current temporary encode hides the beauty of this game. By the way, why didn't you clear the extra levels?...
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Player (26)
Wow, I didn't even know there was a GBC port of this! Also, rescuing his brothers?? This is what he does with the eggs in the PC version :D And yeah, please (also) make a 100% run that includes the hard levels.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
Radiant wrote:
Wow, I didn't even know there was a GBC port of this!
GBC is actually the original version (released in 2001). WiiWare, Windows etc. came several years later (2008 and 2010 respectively, other releases even later).
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Skilled player (1435)
First levels have pretty primitive design, but later they become more and more complicated = interesting. Good TAS for good game. Yes vote!
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
HD encode is up. By the way, the run feels really uncomplete without the extra levels...
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Player (12)
Pretty sure there's a minor mistake in Bubble Barrage level 9. When the in-game timer reaches 3:58, Toki Tori makes a seemingly-useless 360 degrees between placing the 2x2 box and transforming into a bubble. You can see it in the encode at 43:23. Also, voted No. I played Toki Tori a lot on PC, including the Potato ARG and community levels (even made my own). This run just looks like a normal walkthrough of someone with a very good memory. Not that it's the author's fault: the game is designed with a fixed movement set preventing superhuman play, and the level design emphasizes tortuous fixed paths not leaving much room for route optimization.
Post subject: s u b o p t i m a l i t y .
SmashManiac wrote:
Also, voted No. I played Toki Tori a lot on PC, including the Potato ARG and community levels (even made my own). This run just looks like a normal walkthrough of someone with a very good memory. Not that it's the author's fault: the game is designed with a fixed movement set preventing superhuman play, and the level design emphasizes tortuous fixed paths not leaving much room for route optimization.
I also had the impression, at first, that due to how this game is made, it could be rejected due to trivial game play, that is because of the run being too easily reproduced in a real time run. But I was wrong. I've done a quick check and found that depending on the point in which Toki Tori is when A button is pressed when close to an edge, the jump lenght is different, while the jump duration is still the same. So with frame-perfect inputs, the overall travel speed can be optimized. So I've TASed the first level and finished it 119 frames faster than this submission.
Banned User, Player (89)
SmashManiac wrote:
Pretty sure there's a minor mistake in Bubble Barrage level 9. When the in-game timer reaches 3:58, Toki Tori makes a seemingly-useless 360 degrees between placing the 2x2 box and transforming into a bubble. You can see it in the encode at 43:23. Also, voted No. I played Toki Tori a lot on PC, including the Potato ARG and community levels (even made my own). This run just looks like a normal walkthrough of someone with a very good memory. Not that it's the author's fault: the game is designed with a fixed movement set preventing superhuman play, and the level design emphasizes tortuous fixed paths not leaving much room for route optimization.
Seriously? You need to learn Toki Tori (GBC) Mechanics So. Let's see the image of what happends if i don't do 360 degrees https://image.ibb.co/ibT6hQ/20.png
Cuphead TASes desyncs unfortunately.
Post subject: Re: s u b o p t i m a l i t y .
Skilled player (1435)
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
I've TASed the first level and finished it 119 frames faster than this submission.
Sad to hear about such terrible suboptimality... Game itself is very nice. So i hope that author do not gave up after inevitable rejection and will make new much better optimised run in future. Good luck next time!
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Player (12)
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
I've done a quick check and found that depending on the point in which Toki Tori is when A button is pressed when close to an edge, the jump lenght is different, while the jump duration is still the same. So with frame-perfect inputs, the overall travel speed can be optimized.
I didn't realize that. Still, it doesn't LOOK superhuman, which is a major entertainment factor to me.
FilipeTales wrote:
Let's see the image of what happends if i don't do 360 degrees https://image.ibb.co/ibT6hQ/20.png
Spinning more prevents dizziness on the GBC version? That's super weird... but in that case, I would think a 180 degrees would be sufficient and more optimal to overflow the counter, considering you are bubbling immediately afterwards. Is there something else I'm missing?
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... sweet!