Submission Text Full Submission Page
You can get my 59.94fps video.
Also, I can give you my logo tiles if you like it.

Summary

• Aims for whole endings.
They are the actual endings. So except "Game Over" one.
  • Aims for fastest time in single mode.
Beats game as quickly as every character can.
  • Aims for fun in double mode.
Two players must be slower than single. Due to less weapon's damage. So I make double mode in my run just for fun. That means I may lose some time for it.
  • Takes damage to save time.
  • Abuses programming errors in the game.
  • Manipulates luck.

Game info

• Contra. This game has many different names. Called "魂鬥羅 (コントラ)" in Japanese. "Contra" in English. "Probotector" in European. "魂斗罗(Hún dòu luó)" in Chinese. Players have their magic guns whose bullets could never be used up. And they use their same guns to shoot every kinds of bullets. Awesome...
  • The first contra game released on Arcade console in 1987.
  • "魂鬥羅 ザハードコア (1994)" was the first game in the series to be exclusively released on a non-Nintendo console.
    Fast moving speed of scroll, because of genesis's advantage, would excite you.
    Four characters could be chose. Everyone has his or her own guns.
    Six endings. Four normal ones, a secret one and a "game over"(This one doesn't appear in this run).
    Three enemy's header, デッドアイ·ジョー, ドクター, and バハムート大佐. They died or escaped by different way in different endings.
    So many boss fights. And their attack forms are varied and funny.
  • Contra 4 released in 2007(Contra's 20 years). But no new production release in this 30 years. Disappointing. So I make this strange 100% movie in this special year to you! A very long movie contains the whole endings.

Game cheats

• 70 lives: on the logo screen, press triple "C B A → ←" with controller 2. It will be active after a sound effect.
  • Select a stage to enter: on the logo screen, press triple "← → A B C" with controller 2. It will be active after a sound effect.
  • Active all weapons: paused in-game, press "↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ A ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ B ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ C" with controller 1. It will be active after a sound effect.

About the routes

Firstly, I would show you the appearance of each level.
[dead links removed]
Now let me explain how I choose routes to you.
1. Choose a route at the end of the stage 1. (==>A or B)
2. Choose a route in stage 6 (Enemy's stronghold). (==>A or B)
3. Choose a route if you surrender to destroy the world with enemy in stage 9 (The last stage in best ending). If you choose "承知した", then game over screen will appear after the plot. You can choose continue to go back to that stage. So I don't know if this one is an actual ending. And I don't want to do that then go back to the game to the best ending in my run. It's boring and not necessary to see the gameplay in that stage twice. Also, if I did that, the best ending would become a bad ending.
4. A secret ending in stage 4.(集積場)
5. A+A, A+B, B+A, B+B, and a secret ending.
So 5 endings in total.

Route choices in my run

1. Secret ending.
Ray beats secret ending. Ray's weapon is the lowest. So I choose him to beat that shortest way. 4 stages in total. (Stage 1, 2, 4, and 13)
2. A to B(Same as bad ending.)
Sheena beats this ending. Her weapon is stronger than Ray's but lower than Browny's. 5 stages in total. (Stage 1, 2, 4, 5, (6), 12)

3. B to B
Browny beats this one. 6 stages in total. (Stage 1, 3, 4, 5, (6), 7, 11)
4. A to A
Ray & Sheena beat this ending. 6 stages in total. (Stage 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 10)

5. B to A.
Browny & Fang beat this ending. 7 stages in total. (Stage 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9)

So 5 endings in total.
Note:
1. Weapon damage: Ray < Sheena < Browny < Fang.
2. I don't use single player with Fang. Because it's enough on this site.
3. I won't use the cheat to enter the level I want. I want to give you a good show of this game. A complete story in every route. Also, different character has different styles. Or it shall not be accepted in this site, either.
4. I used BizHawk to run the game. Because Gens doesn't allow to reset game in a movie.
5. Route A to A is a traditional ending. There are many abnormal enemies in last stage. And Route B to A is the best ending of the game. So I use 2 players in these 2 endings.

Informations about every weapon

RayRaySheenaSheenaBrownyBrownyFangFang
single modedouble modesingle modedouble modesingle modedouble modesingle modedouble mode
Admg12/bullet10/bullet12/bullet10/bullet3/frame2/2 frames6/bullet4/bullet
Ashooting interval4 frames4 frames4 frames4 frames5 bullets on screen5 bullets on screen2 bullets in every 3 frames2 bullets in every 3 frames
Bdmg3×16frames=48/bullet2×(16÷2)frames=16/bullet3×16frames=48/bullet2×(16÷2)frames=16/bullet22/bullet19/bullet5×23frames=115/bullet3×(23÷2)frames=36/bullet
Bshooting interval10 frames10 frames8 frames8 frames8 frames8 frames21 frames21 frames
Cdmg7×5(bullets)=355×5(bullets)=256/frames4/2 framesBall 15; Line 5/framesBall 12; Line 3/frames3/frame1/frame
Cshooting interval4 frames4 frames1 bullet on screen1 bullet on screencontrolablecontrolablecontrolablecontrolable
Ddmg5/bullet3/bullet2/frames1/2 frames4/bullet4/bullet30/frame; initial 12/bullet20/ 2 frames; initial 10/bullet
Dshooting interval4 frames4 frames2 bullets on screen2 bullets on screencontrolablecontrolable21 frames; 91+20=111 frames
without weapon B
21 frames; 91+20=111 frames
without weapon B
Or I've make an .xls file. You can read in excel software for a better view.
Note:
  • The common: In double mode, all sustainable weapons make damage once in every 2 frames.
  • Everyone has same initial weapon in A slot. Shooting interval is 4 frames. 10 dmg per bullet in single mode; 8 dmg per bullet in double mode.

About the movie

As I said, Bizhawk used for resetting game in my movie. Version of the emulator is an old one called 1.11.1. Because the progress started in 2015.
Fast-forward in Bizhawk is nearly useless...
Here some states are. Each one starts at the beginning of each route. Just convenient to you.
And here is an incomplete RAM list. It's useful actually since double mode. Previous addresses are lost. Because my old computer scrapped. Also, I lost some well done record in my contrahc run and ghostbusters run published before. So I'm not happy during those days. But I didn't searched some RAM address of enemy HP in stage 8.

For encoder

If this submission is accepted, adds subtitles into the encode please. And mine is here. Editing will be easier with it.

Fog: Judging.
Fog: This has been an interesting submission to go through. On a technical point of view, the quality of the run is pretty standard with no major issues of note. However, there are several issues with the goals and category of this submission:

The category choice:

The category listed in this submission is 100%, despite there being no collectibles or percentage counter in the game. Instead, the definition of 100% by the author is that of all endings. This presents a problem, as when considering the actual category choice, this can be seen as an arbitrary category. Considering the rules of the Vault, a category like "all endings" is not a Vaultable category.

The goal choices:

Moving aside from the main category itself, how the run goes about reaching these goals is also an issue. To obtain all the endings, the game is reset after reaching each ending. This essentially makes this run a compilation of five different movies under a single movie file. As mentioned above, this doesn't fly for Vault tier, but could possibly make sense for something aiming for Moons.

Entertainment value:

Looking at what this submission aims for, entertainment is a big factor. As this run is not Vault eligible, the tier that this run is being judged for is Moons (and appears to be the aim of this submission). Although it tries to go for entertainment for the 2 player sections of this run, the opinion of the audience as well as myself is that this run is not entertaining enough to be considered for Moons.

Conclusion:

In this run's current form, it cannot be accepted for the reasons stated above. However, if the run were to be split up into separate movie files, it would probably have a better chance of being accepted compared to having them all combined into a single submission.
Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5656: Soig's Genesis Contra: Hard Corps "100%" in 1:17:21.79
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
For encoder If this submission is accepted, adds subtitles into the encode please. And mine is here. Editing will be easier with it.
Never have I ever had to actually mad rush skim through the subtitles that look worse than the default subs that BizHawk itself provides. (It's modified slightly... worse) For the actual Publisher/Encoder if you are going to use file provided by Soig and not extracting the subs from the bk2 use this file instead. This is in the .ass format I might give a overhauled srt file too. (Most likely not.) Note: I didn't have game footage dumped. So it's a bit blind with the positioning being fixed. You'll have to go over some incorrect grammatical errors and the sentence structures as I didn't bother fixing that. I did fix the spelling mistakes however, so there's that. Also in my opinion. An hour runtime with only 86 lines of subtitles shouldn't really be published with subtitles integrated. Especially when the subtitles only pop up here... and there. (And then hogging most of the screenspace)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Expert player (2001)
oh my
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Player (96)
Easy yes vote. I was thinking to write about trick you haven't show anywhere. But, you did it at almost end (water level): if you have invincibility you can fall infinitely.
Judge, Skilled player (1278)
Yes vote, of course! I really don't understand how can you vote differently!
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Honestly, this is a bit of a silly idea for a TAS. However, this is a childhood game that I am quite fond of, and I absolutely adore this game's style and swagger (not to mention its jaw-droppingly good soundtrack - god bless FM synthesis). I also appreciate that you went out of your way to show basically all the content in the game not shown off by the existing pure-speed-oriented TASes on the site, by not using solo Fang for any of the playthroughs. For these reasons I give this TAS my full stamp of approval.
Rolanmen1
He/Him
Experienced player (751)
Was kinda confused about the "100%" tag because in this game you don't collect anything, I would rather this category to be labeled as "all endings" or something alike. About the run, it is somewhat interesting since you showcase characters not used in any of the TAS. But in the other hand, very repetitive and gets boring pretty fast. I'm voting Meh (wich is sad since I love this game and it being part of my childhood).
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1469)
Orange Claw Hammer wrote:
Honestly, this is a bit of a silly idea for a TAS.
I don't think so. If aims for fastest time only, a boring phenomenon will appear. There will be 5 publications for this game on this site. Each one for each ending. And all them use a same character - Fang. Then someone would say "we need other kinds of videos for this game." Or someone has said that. And it is worse to do other characters' runs for every ending. So make whole characters for whole endings in ONE movie is better. And try not to use Fang.
Rolanmen1 wrote:
n1"]Was kinda confused about the "100%" tag because in this game you don't collect anything, I would rather this category to be labeled as "all endings" or something alike.
It's OK. I give it "100%" tag just because this one is well-known.
r57shell wrote:
I was thinking to write about trick you haven't show anywhere. But, you did it at almost end (water level): if you have invincibility you can fall infinitely.
Sure, you can. That will makes it more interesting and richer.
hard corps is what contra would look like if it was made by treasure.... it's my favorite one because of the diversity and that insane OST... great run i'm a bit sad that you didn't keep the secret ending for the last ( with fang too !)because castlevania trans mix but still it was very entertaining... easy yes vote
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!