Submission Text Full Submission Page
<This is Super Mario Bros Genesis, an unlicensed game based on some original Mario games. In this game, Mario have to shoot boxes (or "fire balls") to kill enemies, and they can't be defeated by jumps like in original games. It's the main difference compared to the original games.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: <BizHawk 2.2>
  • <Fastest time with Mario>

Stage by stage comments

<First World>

<The first world of this game is separated in three parts inspired on first levels of SNES version of Super Mario Bros (All-Stars). The first part is similar to Overworld, the second part is Underworld, and the third part is the castle that contains lava and a boss (Bowser) in the end. The Overworld music plays in all parts of this world, except the boss.

<Second World>

<The second world have visuals that remembers "Yoshi's Island" from Super Mario World 2>

Other comments

<It's my first TAS, I saw some tutorials on Youtube and so I didn't have much trouble to made it. I played this game during aproximated 2 Months before starting to do this TAS, and so I analised each level and chose the best ways to improve it. >
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Deaths to get 3 more "fire attacks" and beat the bosses faster
  • Luck Manipulation in some parts
  • Faster than camera in some parts

Suggested Description

Super Mario Bros Genesis is an unlicensed game based on some original Mario games. The first world of this game is inspired on SNES version of Super Mario Bros (All-Stars), and the boss is Bowser, and the second world have visuals that remembers "Yoshi's Island" from Super Mario World 2. The main difference of this game vs. original games is that Mario have to shoot boxes (or "fire balls") to kill enemies, and they can't be defeated by jumps like in original games.

Technical Informations

• SHA1: 2931B872753C6400AC53268CCB77862D
  • FPS: 59,9227434
  • Core: Genplus-gx

Suggested Screenshot

<Frame number 2521>

Masterjun: Judging.
Masterjun: This game is a hack of Squirrel King, and a pretty bad one at that. The first two levels are edited, and the whole rest of the game (which is about 80%) is exactly the same as the linked publication of the game. Due to the amount of similarities, we can't accept this hack to the site. While this is enough of a reason to reject this submission, I also want to point out that the movie was made on a fixed dump of the ROM and does not sync on a good dump. The goal choice is questionable as well, since this run plays the 1 player mode of the game. The 2 player mode of the game is faster, more entertaining, and shows off more of the game overall.
The main reason for rejection remains that this hack is unacceptable due to big similarities to the original game.
Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5657: Nothembur's Genesis Super Mario Bros. in 17:04.07
Post subject: Genesis Mario
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
the movie definity has some entertainment value, like how you jump through the ground to walk under it. I also love watching TASes of bootlegs. very well optimized and didnt see any issues. for a first TAS, this is pretty good.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Post subject: Re: Genesis Mario
Nothembur
He/Him
EZGames wrote:
the movie definity has some entertainment value, like how you jump through the ground to walk under it. I also love watching TASes of bootlegs. very well optimized and didnt see any issues. for a first TAS, this is pretty good.
Thank you so much!
PCachu
He/Him
Featuring beloved Mario enemies like Freaky Bat-Gremlin-Thing, Blue Jumpsuit Helicopter Pig, and, of course, Less-Than-Awesome Possum. With special guests Construction Ostrich and Tank Rhino from the Megaman X series! Maybe this will teach Haunter never to take a drunken bet after eating the "special Foongus" from Brock's secret stash. At least they had the decency to acknowledge where they ripped the game mechanics from by naming the first two enemies in the cast list Chip and Dale.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
This game is a slightly more elaborate hack of Squirrel King. What also ticks me off is that you used a fixed dump, when a verified good dump is available. I'm not going to vote.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Nothembur
He/Him
fsvgm777 wrote:
This game is a slightly more elaborate hack of Squirrel King. What also ticks me off is that you used a fixed dump, when a verified good dump is available. I'm not going to vote.
Okay... sorry for the bad dump, but the only ones I found was [f1] and [f1+c], thanks for suggestion and... yes, it's a modification of Squirrel King
Nothembur
He/Him
PCachu wrote:
Featuring beloved Mario enemies like Freaky Bat-Gremlin-Thing, Blue Jumpsuit Helicopter Pig, and, of course, Less-Than-Awesome Possum. With special guests Construction Ostrich and Tank Rhino from the Megaman X series! Maybe this will teach Haunter never to take a drunken bet after eating the "special Foongus" from Brock's secret stash. At least they had the decency to acknowledge where they ripped the game mechanics from by naming the first two enemies in the cast list Chip and Dale.
Hahah, these unoficial games are hilarious!
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Nothembur wrote:
Okay... sorry for the bad dump, but the only ones I found was [f1] and [f1+c], thanks for suggestion and... yes, it's a modification of Squirrel King
For what it's worth, the SHA1 checksum of the verified good dump is 5011E16F0AB3A6487A1406B85C6090AD2D1FE345. This doesn't match the SHA1 checksum of the [f1+C] dump (FF6661D39B2BAD26F460E16106CA369421388596).
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Nothembur
He/Him
fsvgm777 wrote:
For what it's worth, the SHA1 checksum of the verified good dump is 5011E16F0AB3A6487A1406B85C6090AD2D1FE345. This doesn't match the SHA1 checksum of the [f1+C] dump (FF6661D39B2BAD26F460E16106CA369421388596).
Unfortunately I didn't know there was a good dump for this game, it was my mistake... sorry
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
Encode please?
Judge, Skilled player (1288)
fsvgm777 wrote:
This game is a slightly more elaborate hack of Squirrel King.
Uhm. In that movie, 2 players are used. Wouldn't be faster for this hack too, to use 2 players?...
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
EZGames69
He/They
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
fsvgm777 wrote:
This game is a slightly more elaborate hack of Squirrel King.
Uhm. In that movie, 2 players are used. Wouldn't be faster for this hack too, to use 2 players?...
Author could just change the category to "1 player".
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!
EZGames69
He/They
So I never got a chance to really ask this at the time but is there absolutely no way this bootleg could be acceptable? Even though it has most of the levels from another bootleg, there are 2 unique levels.