(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
There is not much to this game at all, at least the NES version is somewhat a game.
Mario has to return historical items that Bowser stole using his time machine. For each item, we collect it, put in the date where the item goes, surf on the waves of time, collect 10 mushrooms, then enter the portal that brings you to your destination. You then find the owner to return the item, but before you can do that you have to fill in the blank of what I assume is a history book. Once that's done you can return the item then head back to do it again and again.
There's three endings in this game, two of them are "bad" endings. The good ending requires you to return every item in order by date and to not take so long to do it. If either one of these tasks isn't met, you get a bad ending. In this run, we get the bad ending of doing everything in the wrong order because it's faster when changing dates on the time machine.
The fill in the blanks portion of this run doesn't have me pressing the down button on every other frame, that's because it takes the game about 6 or 7 frames to scroll down one item in the list, so I press the down button on specific frames for maximum speed. This is much much faster than just holding down the D-pad. This was the most tedious part of doing this TAS, eventually I just copied and pasted previous inputs just so I didn't go crazy.
Probably the more technical aspect of this game is its surfing section. The mushrooms spawn in fixed positions relative to Mario's position, but sometimes the mushrooms spawn very close to you, I slow down when that happens to collect them, but sometimes there impossible to get so I just skip them. Because of how they spawn, i do my best to try and get the mushrooms to spawn in front of the portals. the portals dont spawn in the same way the mushrooms do, they spawn as if they were in fixed positions on a map, which is why I can get mushrooms to be infront of the portal. Some instances I cant do this so I just get the mushroom to spawn close to it instead.
Also if you do a one frame jump, meaning you don't have the jump button active for more than one frame, Mario does not stop, and when he gets too high, he just teleports to the ground. This doesn't save or lose time, but it's just funny.
suggested screenshot at frame 28094:

Fog: Replaced input file with a spiked input file, removing about a minute from the total run time.
Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Most of this "game", if you can call it that, is a very slow and repetitive process of going to a certain place and time, playing a brief surfing minigame, then in the time period in question menuing your way through lots of word lists. It already gets excruciatingly boring after two minutes, let alone twenty. Clearly this movie is not going to pass any entertainment qualifiers for any of the higher tiers.
And as for the Vault, its rules state that educational games are not counted as serious games for its purpose, so this movie is not eligible for the Vault either - and this movie makes it quite clear just why that rule is there to begin with. As such, rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5719: EZGames69's SNES Mario's Time Machine in 22:46.12
Editor, Player (120)
This game is terrible. But, as they say, bad is the new good. So, yes vote.
* http://tasvideos.org/ReadySteadyYeti.html - my user page on the TASVideos site * https://www.youtube.com/ReadySteadyYeti - my YouTube channel * My Discord username is "RSY#3799".
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3964)
fixed the input file by removing a minute's worth of blank inputs: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/43271428592632035
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I didn't find it very entertaining, so I'm voting No, but I did watch the whole thing. I'm happy you finished a TAS of this game anyway. Any interest in doing Mario is Missing! as well? There's an SDA run for it that maps out a solid speedrun route.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3964)
CoolKirby wrote:
I didn't find it very entertaining, so I'm voting No, but I did watch the whole thing. I'm happy you finished a TAS of this game anyway. Any interest in doing Mario is Missing! as well? There's an SDA run for it that maps out a solid speedrun route.
Possibly yes, this game is more menuing than actual game, i was planning on working with Ready Steady Yeti to do the other software toolworks mario games. It's definitely something I'll look into.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... om, nom, nom... nom nom