(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
a Nintendo Licensed game that wasnt made by Nintendo. During a time when other companies were able to make Mario games, most of these games were educational. howver this game has more of a platforming element to it, making this more of a game than an educational game.
  • Emulator used: BizHawk 2.2.1

Comments

the goal is to defeat 3 koopas, then get a historical item, go into the appropriate time, and return it in a specific place.
I was able to save time from the previous run: #3401: YoungJ1997lol's NES Mario's Time Machine! in 07:53.97 by making the koopa on the top level fall down so I wouldnt need to jump up to get him.
did I also mention you cannot take damage in this game? yep, you cant even lose the fight with Bowser.
I'm also practicing Encoding so I did an HD encode for this movie

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: After many discussions surrounding educational games in general and a few other recent submissions in particular, we now have a more clear concept of what should be expected of a game with educational components. At a first glance, this game looks pretty fine, with gameplay consisting of some platforming action with a Mario Bros.-style minigame to collect items, a time machine to go to different eras, and brief platforming levels to bring the items to. However, once you really start playing the game, you find out that this gameplay is really a side component to the educational time travel goals. The player cannot take damage or die whatsoever, eliminating all challenge to the Mario Bros. segments or platforming segments. The Mario Bros. segments are simplistic and repetitive in themselves, and the platforming stages are very short and uneventful. Even the final Bowser fight literally cannot be lost at all. All the challenge is put upon bringing the objects to their correct times, helped by making use of the educational clues. Considering this general makeup of the game, I consider the educational history lessons to be the primary game aspect of this game, with the platforming only taking on a secondary role in the player's quest.
As such, I am rejecting this game from the Vault, for putting educational objectives as its primary game element. And as this submission is ineligible for any other tier, rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5758: EZGames69's NES Mario's Time Machine! in 07:33.62
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
Should probably mention that the movie file was a bit corrupted so that's why the rerecord count doesnt show up. I'll try to fix it later but the encode should say how many rerecords there were.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Editor, Player (120)
This is a terrible game, yet I've seen much worse. Anyway, I'm glad this run exists now. It's probably one of the more popular educational titles from its time. Since the run has more of an emphasis on platforming than education, I'd accept it to Vault. The run does get a bit repetitive, but it's not like the TASer can help that much. Overall, I'm giving this a Yes vote; I personally found this funny, technically impressive, and entertaining.
* http://tasvideos.org/ReadySteadyYeti.html - my user page on the TASVideos site * https://www.youtube.com/ReadySteadyYeti - my YouTube channel * My Discord username is "RSY#3799".
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... juicy!
Post subject: Re: #5758: EZGames69's NES Mario's Time Machine! in 07:33.62
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2057)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
<a>Mothrayas</a>: .... The player cannot take damage or die whatsoever, eliminating all challenge...
This is perhaps the best argument I've read against TASes of most educational games and likely the most valid way to help in determining when one is not worthy of consideration for vault. The inability to lose is a hallmark of many edutainment games. EDIT: It should never be the sole reason any title is rejected though.
Banned User, Former player
DrD2k9 wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
<a>Mothrayas</a>: .... The player cannot take damage or die whatsoever, eliminating all challenge...
This is perhaps the best argument I've read against TASes of most educational games and likely the most valid way to help in determining when one is not worthy of consideration for vault.
That would eliminate all puzzle games as well. How much damage can you take eg. in Tetris? In the same vein it eliminates all sports games as well, for the same reason (even though sports games were just recently added to the acceptable categories).
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Warp wrote:
DrD2k9 wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
This is perhaps the best argument I've read against TASes of most educational games and likely the most valid way to help in determining when one is not worthy of consideration for vault.
That would eliminate all puzzle games as well. How much damage can you take eg. in Tetris? In the same vein it eliminates all sports games as well, for the same reason (even though sports games were just recently added to the acceptable categories).
What sorts of Tetris or sports games do you play that have eliminated all challenge in gameplay?
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Mothrayas wrote:
What sorts of Tetris or sports games do you play that have eliminated all challenge in gameplay?
You consider solving math problems, or putting objects in their proper slots, not challenging in the least? In terms of speedrunning, reaching the end as fast as possible is in itself a challenge.
Noxxa
They/Them
Warp wrote:
Mothrayas wrote:
You consider solving math problems, or putting objects in their proper slots, not challenging in the least?
Do you consider a virtual equivalent of peg-in-hole a challenge?
Warp wrote:
In terms of speedrunning, reaching the end as fast as possible is in itself a challenge.
This has nothing to do with anything in this discussion.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Player (26)
Warp wrote:
That's a fair point. For any game where you can't actually fail, doing it as fast as possible may still be a TAS-worthy challenge. The criteria of whether the player can take damage and/or die appears to be neither necessary nor sufficient for accepting or rejecting any runs.
Mothrayas wrote:
So now it's up to how much challenge there is in the game? Where's that rule?
Noxxa
They/Them
Warp wrote:
Mothrayas wrote:
So now it's up to how much challenge there is in the game? Where's that rule?
We are discussing definitions of educational/non-serious games, and the rule against non-serious games is in the Vault rules. Please keep up. Since we already have a topic discussing the same issue, I'm not going to repeat everything about that here.