(Link to video)

About the game

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure is the first Tiny Toon Adventures-based game released on the Mega Drive/Genesis. It was released in 1993 and developed and published by Konami.

Things to keep in mind when TAS this game

1. A little hop when Buster starts walking, he can start running earlier, and when slide is allowed: Slide+Jump (B+C) this put Buster in the max speed instantly.
  2. Jumping when you are running and stomp an enemy this freeze the camera for 1 frame, keeping the least number of jumps is important to save time.
  3. Every carrot you pickup in a level, this carrot delay the score table 2 frames, so collecting the less number of carrots is necessary to save time.
  4. The RNG of the game can delay or finish the score table 1 frame, this can't be manipulated.
  5. Buster can only accelerate on the ground. That is, if Buster are running and you jump, you will pause his acceleration until touch the ground again.
  6. Taking damage stop Buster for 25 frames, the times you take damage to save time are very strange, only when you have no choice or is the best way.

About the movie

This Tool Assisted Superplay is 10:44 faster than the current world record (Youtube) and aims for completing all levels in this game, some levels give you the opportunity to take different paths with are a Gogo Dodo (goal) in the end waiting for you and he will teleport Buster to differents alternative levels.

Emulator used: Gens-rr 11b / svn341

Useful RAM Adresses

00FFA00A - Buster's Speed
 00FFBCD8 - Buster's Position

Movie Objectives

• Aims for fastest real time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates Luck
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Completing all levels / 100% completion
  • Genre: Platform

Suggested Screenshot: 49402

Comments

Seeing the last TAS of this game was 10 years ago, I decided to give this game a chance a go for a 100% completion, some levels have to be done 2 times to activate all the exits, I don't do the level 2 times in a row like in the RTA world record to keep the variation in the TAS and so that it does not look repetitive. Compared to GManiac TAS I improved every level of his input from lag reduction to better optimization. But this branch is not aim to compare to GManiac TAS, I will do that at his debided time when I adapted my input to submit the Any% version.

Stage Comments

Grassland

• This is the first part of the treasure map and has 3 levels + 1 alternative, the second level of this episode has 2 alternative exits where you can take a different version of the third level, for this reason this level is done 2 times.
Grassland 2-2Taking the straight route in this stage is a little complicate because is full of carrots and a lot of carrots can generate lag frames, So I manage to taking a upper route to avoid most of the carrots and lag frames, the invulnerability is useful to avoid a jump above the rats in the end, this saved a extra frame.
Grassland 3-2In frame 9875 slide on the hill allows me to avoid 2 carrots, some lag frames are generated here but when climbing the hill running they generate the same lag frames, so I saved 4 frames on the scoreboard, the same situation happen in frame 10548 but less lag frames are generated here because there are fewer objects loaded on the screen.
Grassland BossDizzy devil is the boss in the grasslands, we need some movements to manipulate his movements during the boss fight to maintain Dizzy on the ground and enter in the dialogs at the end the very early possible, this is the boss that requires a lot of luck manipulation.

The Forest

• The forest is the second part of the treasure map and has 4 levels + 2 alternatives the second level of this episode has 2 alternative exits where you can take a different version of the third and fourth levels, for this reason this level is done 2 times.
Forest 3-2At frame 25387 jumping here it allows me to land on the platforms in the air, this route is useful to save time and evade carrots and lag frames.
Forest 4-2This levels same as is counterpart 4-1 has a secret shortcut to reach the exit very early that requires a perfect wall jumping, you can appreciate the execution of the trick at frame 27410.
Forest BossCalamity Coyote is the boss in the forest, like Dizzy Devil fight I need some manipulation of luck but not to manipulate his movement, if not to do perfect frame hits to Dr. Gene, in the end taking damage allows Coyote to fall 2 frames before the water.

The Blue Cave

• The Blue Cave is the third part of the treasure map and has 2 levels and 1 alternative + a water cave, the first levels has 2 exits for this reason this level is done 2 times.
Blue Cave 2-2This levels is full of carrots and obstacles in the way, this level is not used in the any% route for this reason, optimizing to collect the less carrots possible It was very difficult, currently 49 carrots are the limit without losing time.
Blue Cave BossThe boss here is Plucky Duck, in this boss fight I used the same strategy as in Forest 4-1, climbing the invisible left wall is possible. Allowing me to hit Dr. Gene 2 times with precise jumps, this saves 1300 frames compared to GManiac's boss battle.

The Lava Cave

• The Lava Cave is the fourth part of the treasure map and has 2 levels + 1 alternative, the structure of the level is equal to the blue cave, only that this level has a lava / hell theme, the first level has the 2 exits here.
Lava Cave 2-2This level is a volcano style level, where when you start to jumping the platform the lava start raising and you will to jump for you life to the exit, unlike the other levels this level requires a lot of optimization for perfect jumps but a the end is funny seeing a little rabbit doing some mad tool assisted jumps.
Lava Cave BossPlucky Duck is the boss again but disguised as "The Toxic Revenger", this boss don't required luck manipulation, in therm of optimization this battle es very simple.

Pirate Ship

The Pirate Ship is where Buster found the lost treasure, this level is divided in two section, the first part is a normal level, the second part is the boss room where is the treasure, the boss here is Montana Max.
The strategy here is manipulating where Max will appear, I recommend to keep Max spawn in the third-left platform next to the treasure, because in the last hit the dialog will start very fast.

Snow Mountains

• Snow Mountains is the fifth part of the treasure map and has 3 levels + 1 alternative, particulary this level is the most difficult part of the game because is full of death pits with spikes, it is said that there are people who were psychologically damaged when they tryed win these levels and failed.
Snow 2-2At the beginning it is faster to take damage, because there are many enemies that do not let me accelerate correctly, so taking damage here is the best way to increase speed, the level has some carrots in the route, but thanks to the precise jumps I can avoid almost all of them.
Snow 3In this level I managed to avoid a extra carrot compared to GManiac version and saved 2 frames in the score table.
Snow BossThe boss here is Hampton the pig, like the lava cave boss battle this don't required luck manipulation, the battle is very simple and only need precise jumps for perfect frame hits.

The factories

• The factories is the sixth and final part of the treasure map, unlike the other parts this levels don't have alternative exits, the rest of the movie follows the same route as the any% version, but with some updated optimization compared to GManiac TAS.

Special thanks

GManiac and people in the forum thread, they give me a lot of good feedback for the start of this movie, and the people who will enjoy this :)

feos: Judging...
feos: Updated with a 64 frame improvement.
feos: Nice run, nice feedback, nice acceptance, nice Moons, nice new branch.
Stovent: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Techokami
He/Him
It's great to see this game from my childhood get destroyed. But wouldn't it be faster if you reversed the order of the stages in the lava cave? That way you only need to take a long path to a stage on the overworld once instead of three times.
Editor, Experienced player (559)
You mean doing the raising lava room level first? It really does not matter in what order the levels are made because in the end the time consumed will be the same, if that's what you mean, and yeah take in mind the levels with 2 exits need to be done 2 times, no more.
You can see more TASes on my youtube channel
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
25:30 — wtf, you don’t give her some warm hugs? :3 No vote!
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
I'm voting a Weak Yes, it's nearly perfect, but this could be more complete if you would complete also one time each of the bonus levels that you enter with the rainbow logos =P
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Techokami
He/Him
Evil_3D wrote:
You mean doing the raising lava room level first? It really does not matter in what order the levels are made because in the end the time consumed will be the same, if that's what you mean, and yeah take in mind the levels with 2 exits need to be done 2 times, no more.
I mean with overworld movement. Right now you do long path to left, long path to right, short path down, long path to left. I'm just wondering if it would be faster to do short path down, short path up, long path to left, short path down? Might save a couple of seconds, but I don't know if that will throw off the RNG.
WST wrote:
25:30 — wtf, you don’t give her some warm hugs? :3 No vote!
Can't tell if joking or not, but Elmira is one of two instant-kill hazards in the game (the other being the long, thin spike traps, which are somehow zipped through in some levels?!)
Nice eye, really I was more concentrate optimizing all in-game levels instead of the treasure map route, changing the route of the lava caves will save 80 frames as you say, but this will ruin the RNG of the game (mostly on the pirate ship fight), can generate lag frames in other levels and the score boards will be delayed 1 extra frame. For now I will mark it as a possible improvement since now I want to concentrate on my Sonic ring attack, maybe halfway through the year I will submit the Any% of this game along with the "all levels" updated.
Skilled player (1435)
Enjoyed watching all levels run. Really nice TAS or a really nice game. Voted obviously Yes. Looking forward any% improvement next!
Evil_3D wrote:
For now I will mark it as a possible improvement since now I want to concentrate on my Sonic ring attack, maybe halfway through the year I will submit the Any% of this game along with the "all levels" updated.
Why not fix map mistake now? You can ask judge to put it on delay for as long time as you need to fix it. Or even cancel it and resubmit corrected version later. I feel it is not right to accept it with flaw (even if it is exellent run in all other matter).
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
You're right, I do not feel good if this comes to be accepted with an improvement in the air. If you read this feos, I want to ask you to delay the verdict a little, I'll fix it.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Techokami wrote:
Can't tell if joking or not
Neither one nor the other. What I mean is: escaping from a lovely loli, when being a cute and lovely creature yourself, looks at least weird. And, as the question in the poll asks “Did you find this movie entertaining?”, I say my opinion on it (thinking only about what’s going on, because I don’t know this game). The only joke was my vote — I would vote “no” only on that particular stage, other than that, the run looks amazing. Didn’t think that such things need extra explainations.
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Here is the updated movie, 64 frames improved thanks to Techokami. microstorage is shut down atm so I uploaded the .gmv in my media fire account: Here
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
You can host your WIPs right on the site: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/my#uploadfile I got your file though, will replace once I verify it.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Thanks for the comparison video feos, I apologize for having used a old emulator like gens, I will try to port the any% version to bizhawk in the future.
Make sure to only port if you have improvements. I saw in one of your boss fights you're faster due to a new trick, just mentioning it anyway.
Stovent
He/Him
Publisher
Encoding...
[17:37:00]<TheCoreyBurton> It's N64 - it's ALWAYS bad news.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3630] Genesis Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure "all levels" by Evil_3D in 26:54.70
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3966)
With the new changes in full completion: http://tasvideos.org/diff.exe?page=MovieRules&rev=337&prev=335. Should this run obsolete the any% tas since all the levels are done in this tas? Both the secret exits and the regular exits? Edit: woops, here's the right edit: http://tasvideos.org/diff.exe?page=JudgeGuidelines&rev=114
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
You're linking the wrong edit. http://tasvideos.org/diff.exe?page=JudgeGuidelines&rev=114 The question is, are there any unavoidably different in-level routes between these movies?
feos wrote:
The question is, are there any unavoidably different in-level routes between these movies?
New routes no, the any% version will be like this movie only without the extra grass, forest, caves and snow levels. Part of me doubt to do the any% version in case some day something like this happen. Luckily you maded a comparison encode some post above, so you literally can see what I'm talking about.
That's right, the one level I remembered diverging paths in was then played by your movie the same way as in the other one, so everything is contained in "all levels".