Submission Text Full Submission Page
Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular (1989) is a game made by Kemco. You compete in 6 events and go for the gold!

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 2.2.1 with NESHawk core
  • Aims for target score required for best ending
  • Aims for fastest time possible for best ending
  • Genre: Sports

Comments

There are six events to compete in: Sack Race, Boot Throwing, Pogo, Overboard, Pile of Pizza, and River Jump. To get to the end, all events need to be played three times. You need to score 2,000 points to advance to the next round, and you need 5,000 to make it to the finals. Finally, you have to get least 10,000 points to medal. There are three possible endings, they depend according to your final score: 10,000 for bronze, 12,000 for silver, and 15,000 for gold. To get there, you'll have to score big. In Sack Race, you'll score 40 points for every second remaining. In Boot Throwing, you'll score 50 points for every 3 feet of distance. In Pogo, you'll score 250 points for every bar cleared. In Overboard, you'll score 20 points for every second remaining, but only if you win. In Pile of Pizza, you'll score 50 points per pizza by balancing them to the end. In River Jump, you'll score 1,000 points if you succeed. This run goes for the gold in the fastest time possible, but not necessarily the maximum score possible. I tried out many strats, come up with the best ones possible, and this is what I came up with. I hope you enjoy it.

Stage by stage comments

Sack Race

This is the first event, and the longest one of all to speedrun. A fully charged leap is performed at the start. Semi charged leaps are done for optimal movement. I do a weak leap to the finish line. No matter if you cross the finish line, you have to touch the ground for it to count. Also, Woodstock pushes Spike forward when he's falling behind (that's Snoopy's brother). A time of 20.1 is the best possible time.

Boot Throwing

In this event, you rotate the d-pad counterclockwise to build up power. The further you throw it, the more points you get. In this run, it's faster to get a double foul. Logically, throwing it backwards is the only way to get a foul. But, a glitch is used to get it done slightly faster. Throwing it downward normally registers it as 0'. There is a specific frame that registers it as a foul.

Pogo

Doing a slow start after several frames, then going fast all the way to the end save's a frame rule over mz's submission.

Overboard

Knock Spike off the canoe as fast as possible. First time around is a 2.8, other times is the fastest possible 2.2.

Pile of Pizza

Carefully balance the Pizzas as you get to the end. Just holding right grants the fastest time possible of 13 seconds, but you only get awarded for 4 pizzas at 50 points per pie. The fastest time for getting to the end with all 20 pizzas is 17.2. In this run, I go nice and steady to balance the pizzas, then rush to the end, dropping only 2 pizzas, with a time if 16.9.

River Jump

Mash the A button to build up speed, then press and hold B at the right time to jump. This may look simple, but in reality, it isn't. You have to release B at the right time to make the jump, or you'll fall in the water.

Other comments

Aiming for the target score in the fastest time possible is what I done. The double foul in Boot Throwing saves a lot of time.

Cancelled due to improvements

It's possible to get a 2.2 in Overboard 1. It's possible to manipulate Spike's AI for Sack Race.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
That was kind of cute, but I didn't need to see it three times. Getting a gold medal seems to be a less entertaining goal than maxing out the score in each event once, or even just fast completion once.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
What hopper wrote. Also using what hopper wrote I'm kinda upset that Boot Throwing was just used to generate fouls. The TAS could've easily produced a "max score" but it wasn't done. Meh on the Vote.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
There's like a 5 frame rule that happens at the end of each event.
Experienced player (852)
I recall having fun with this game when I rented it as a kid. Maybe I should try an RTA run sometime. Easy yes vote from me, great run. As for the category I think it was a great choice. I imagine I would vote for a max score run also, and it would probably work well in this game. Some of these event based sport games have events that drag on if you're going for max score, so it doesn't always work. Another good reason for this goal choice is rules. It is hard to tell how voting is going to go, and I think this goal choice would qualify for vault where max score wouldn't. Going for bronze would have been an alternative, but I think going for gold was a better choice.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... *burp*!
Editor, Player (5)