Submission Text Full Submission Page
Apparently, bullets can only be shot on odd number frames.

i.e. 0th frame: no input,

1st frame: no input,

2nd frame: no input,

3rd frame: fire, bullet shot

4th frame: no input,

5th frame: no input,

6th frame: no input,

7th frame: no input,

8th frame: fire, no shot

Masterjun: Judging.
Masterjun: The game gets more difficult after this run ends. This means it does not complete the game.
Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5811: donnaken15's A2600 Yars' Revenge in 00:11.61
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Here's a temp encode btw. Link to video
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
Here we go ! :)
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
Is there a category different than this run that's considered the any%?
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
donnaken15
He/Him
EZGames69 wrote:
probably not, it's only two levels in the game. maybe any%, idk the difference between 100 and any
- Wesley
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
donnaken15 wrote:
EZGames69 wrote:
probably not, it's only two levels in the game. maybe any%, idk the difference between 100 and any
Any% means beating the game as fast as possible with no other limitations. 100% means completing what can be considered 100% of the game's content. If both 100% and any% are the same thing then there's just the any%.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Active player (416)
I used to have a Plug and Play console with this game on it. I remember it being a lot more challenging than you make it look here! Yes vote.
Skilled player (1650)
It is good to see this game get some attention! Though it is a bit disappointing that it was not played on Ultimate Yars Difficulty A.
donnaken15
He/Him
FitterSpace wrote:
I used to have a Plug and Play console with this game on it. I remember it being a lot more challenging than you make it look here! Yes vote.
Yeah, I loved the Adventure game on the Jakks Pacific joystick. I've noticed ever since I played it that the sounds play on a different pitch on the PnP comparing to when it's played on a real system or emulator. I remember beating Pong without moving by having the paddle in a certain position resulting in the CPU failing every time XD. I also remember going to the hardest level on Missile Command before the background colors changed to the first level (the hardest is colored yellow, green and red) and failed every time. Volleyball was the most annoying game I've played on there because of how good the CPU was on there.
- Wesley
As a fan of the game, this is an easy No vote for me. It's true that there are only two shield configurations, but this is certainly not the whole game. It's not like those levels just repeat forever! Gameplay changes at 70,000, 150,000, and 230,000 points. There are levels with no neutral zone. This video is infinitely more entertaining to me. Watch how this guy leads the Swirl into his Zorlon Cannon once it gets to the point where the Swirl makes a second attack. There are a couple of points in the game where he has so many TRONS that he's able to hit the Swirl off the bat in five to ten levels in a row, grabbing the full 6000 points and an extra life. There are a few places where he even bounces the Zorlon Cannon off the shield and hits the Swirl on the rebound! TAS videos are supposed to show off skill -- well this guy is showing off SKILL. If you want to really play through all of the levels, you have to at least beat a level after 230,000 points. It would take the better part of 160 levels to do a fastest to 999,999 video, and I don't know if it would stay entertaining for that long since the gameplay stops changing after 230,000 points, other than some levels having the Neutral Zone and other not having it. I think the two runs you could definitely do for this game are a "100%" run that shows all of the levels before the infinite gameplay loop after 230,000, and an Any% that gets to fastest "Game Over" by activating the Easter Egg as fast as possible. (The 230,000 point run should probably also terminate by getting the Easter Egg). BTW, Game 6 (Ultimate Yars) should actually be faster, since you don't have to bother cutting a path through the shield. Within a second, the Qotile will come to you!
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Agree 100% with Hopper--this hardly scratches the surface of the game's potential variation.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Yars also appears to have different colours the longer you go, and during points within the game you lose your shield. TAS appears incomplete if we're looking for the actual loop then. (which the longplay achieves in finding by the looks of it) As for the longplay example. hopper you should switch it to the updated longplay.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Active player (398)
Voted meh. It's pretty short and also there seems to be some debate over whether this is the "true ending" or not. I'm not convinced that getting 230k+ points would make a more entertaining video though. The variations (different colors?) don't sound like it would be very different.
It's not just the colors that change; the color change is to warn you about the gameplay change. At 70,000, the Qotile changes to a Swirl three times more often, and sometimes launches without warning. At 150,000 the Swirl will launch at you, stop, and then launch again to wherever you've moved to (but frequency drops back to single). At 230,000, the double attack and triple frequency are in effect. As you'll see in the longplay, the faster Swirl launch saves time versus having to cut a hole through the shield. The RNG can probably be manipulated to make the Swirl attack faster for TAS purposes.
Spikestuff wrote:
As for the longplay example. hopper you should switch it to the updated longplay.
Good call. I think, in the previous video, the flashing was synchronized with the video framerate in such a way that the shield was never shown, making it look invisible instead of pink. Also, cool ending!
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
GJTASer2018
He/Him
Going to quickly add that the original game manual also mentions the shield changing colors in sync with the gameplay change - this isn't something hopper discovered on his own.
Meerkov wrote:
I'm not convinced that getting 230k+ points would make a more entertaining video though.
A longer video would be much more entertaining if some of the tricks employed in the longplay were used. Speed/entertainment tradeoffs for an extended TAS (or even just turning it into a "playaround" submission instead of a straight TAS) might be worthwhile considering the sparse graphics and repetitive gameplay. That's something the community as a whole would have to judge, however.
c-square wrote:
Yes, standard runs are needed and very appreciated here too
Dylon Stejakoski wrote:
Me and the boys starting over our games of choice for the infinityieth time in a row because of just-found optimizations
^ Why I don't have any submissions despite being on the forums for years now...
donnaken15
He/Him
back when i played it on the plug n play, right after the randomized full block shield level, it went back to the first. i dont remember seeing more levels beyond that. if it is the same 2, i can just loop the input in the TAS project.
- Wesley
@donnaiken: It's true that there only two shield configurations. The solid and rotating shields loop, but the gameplay changes at 70,000, 150,000, and 230,000 points. You can't just loop the input. @GJTASer: Yes, the manual is where I got my information. I didn't claim to have discovered it on my own.
donnaken15
He/Him
maybe this could be considered 100% and the farther levels can be any%. i still dont know though
- Wesley
donnaken15
He/Him
hopper wrote:
@donnaiken: It's true that there only two shield configurations. The solid and rotating shields loop, but the gameplay changes at 70,000, 150,000, and 230,000 points. You can't just loop the input. @GJTASer: Yes, the manual is where I got my information. I didn't claim to have discovered it on my own.
Maybe technically. I looked at the longplay and notice the cannon goes slower and the Swirl moves multiple directions (skipping far into the video). I can probably extend and shorten inputs as it progresses.
- Wesley
donnaken15 wrote:
maybe this could be considered 100% and the farther levels can be any%. i still dont know though
I think you're misinterpreting what those percentages are. If this is not rejected for not reaching a point at which the game stops getting harder (as I believe it will be) this would be Any%, not 100%
donnaken15
He/Him
Habreno wrote:
donnaken15 wrote:
I think you're misinterpreting what those percentages are. If this is not rejected for not reaching a point at which the game stops getting harder (as I believe it will be) this would be Any%, not 100%
rn i'm continuing the tas but under a different file name. because everybody's still complaining about it (other than the entertainment factor), i'll extend it to beat the "farther levels."
- Wesley
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!
With regard to the cannon, the longplay was playing Game 6 (Ultimate Yars), where you have to touch the left side of the screen in order to launch the cannon.
donnaken15
He/Him
hopper wrote:
With regard to the cannon, the longplay was playing Game 6 (Ultimate Yars), where you have to touch the left side of the screen in order to launch the cannon.
i remember you could do that (which i almost forgot when i first played) but apparently it doesnt work in the mode im TASing
- Wesley
donnaken15
He/Him
i think i completed the tas (pts are now over 230,000. actually its 500k now), when should i stop playing it?
- Wesley