I used Greg Degeneffe's World Record https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/181727-Atari-2600-VCS-Grand-Prix-NTSC-Game-4-Difficulty-B-Fastest-Time-01-35-33-Greg-Degeneffe as a base for this TAS. My TAS beats his run by 19 ms.

Game presentation

Grand Prix is a Formula One Grand Prix motor racing game made by David Crane and published by Activision. This game was the first Atari 2600 game to feature shaded objects in color.

Goals

• BizHawk 2.2.1
  • Fastest In-Game time
  • Uses Hardest Difficulty
  • Genre: Racing
I don't know if it's useful since this TAS isn't enough entertaining for Moons.

Controls and Speed

• Press the controller button B to accelerate.
  • move the joystick to the left to brake.
  • Moving up or down will slow you down even more when you are faster. So you have to minimize moves and move as soon as you can.
  • Oil Slicks don't slow you down. The direction of your sliding is determined by your speed and the intensity is determined by where you touch it.

Some RAMWatch addresses (by DrD2k9)

• 0x2F : Y position
  • 0x69 : Position in the track (ends at 255)
  • 0x6F : acceleration velocity (doesn't care about moves)

Special Thanks

• Greg Degeneffe with his run wich made me want to do this TAS.
  • DrD2k9 who tried to improve my movie with me.

feos: Judging...
feos: Replacing the movie with an 8-frame improvement.
feos: I have nothing to question about this movie. Everything fits. Accepting to Moons.
Stovent: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5855: ViGadeomes's A2600 Grand Prix in 01:34.67
Active player (372)
Good run. Yes vote! And the fact that this is only 19 ms faster than the RTA shows how insane the real-time run was. I'm assuming the cars are always in the same spots and there's no RNG, correct?
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
c-square wrote:
Good run. Yes vote! And the fact that this is only 19 ms faster than the RTA shows how insane the real-time run was. I'm assuming the cars are always in the same spots and there's no RNG, correct?
Yes, they all have a specific speed and you meet them on a certain point depending of your speed.
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Improvment by 8 frames (0,134 secondes) : http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/45754785214905110
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1637)
Yes! Top speed makes a good showing. Just curious, were you braking at certain spots due to unavoidable traffic?
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2056)
nymx wrote:
Yes! Top speed makes a good showing. Just curious, were you braking at certain spots due to unavoidable traffic?
There are a couple times where braking is necessary. In the first section of the race there's a 'wall' of 4 cars (one in each row) that requires you to slow down to pass. In a later section (I don't remember exactly which) a very brief (1-2 frame) brake is necessary to manipulate the arrival of red car on the top row to show up a bit earlier than the cars in the three rows below. This allows for a faster passing of this group. If this braking isn't done, the four cars will instead end up as another 'wall'. Hitting the oil slicks makes the same sound as braking, but doesn't slow down the car. These oil slick sounds could be confused as random braking.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2056)
c-square wrote:
Opponent car position is mildly manipulable. Your speed an distance traveled can impact when other cars arrive, but the order (which row shows up 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc) is pretty consistent. Vertical position doesn't seem to change this. Also, the speed/distance combination will affect whether an oil slick causes an upward or downward slide. So they are also mildly manipulable.
ViGadeomes
He/Him
DrD2k9 wrote:
In a later section (I don't remember exactly which) a very brief (1-2 frame) brake is necessary to manipulate the arrival of red car on the top row to show up a bit earlier than the cars in the three rows below. This allows for a faster passing of this group. If this braking isn't done, the four cars will instead end up as another 'wall'.
It's here : https://youtu.be/j8wFruA0n14?t=47 but it's not a very brief brake of 1 or 2 frames, it's a brake of 17 frames and a lose of 2 frames to move down just before this red car (you can move down 2 frames before but the wall is created). A lot of improvment could be done before here https://youtu.be/j8wFruA0n14?t=54 in the first parts of the game if this "wall" of cars wasn't exist (like the 2 others explained by DrD2k9 and me before). Each improvment I tried before this wall results to be too fast to pass this group and you'll have to brake for 1 or 2 frames to pass them but you'll lose time with this brake and finish the run after the TAS.
ViGadeomes
He/Him
ViGadeomes wrote:
Improvment by 8 frames (0,134 secondes) : http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/45754785214905110
Maybe nobody saw it....
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3660] A2600 Grand Prix by ViGadeomes in 01:34.67
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Hello, Stovent forgot to put the "Aims for in-game time instead of real-time" category and maybe the "Uses hardest difficulty" category on the published movie. Thank you :)
Stovent
He/Him
Publisher
ViGadeomes wrote:
Hello, Stovent forgot to put the "Aims for in-game time instead of real-time" category and maybe the "Uses hardest difficulty" category on the published movie. Thank you :)
Indeed I forgot "Uses hardest difficulty", maybe I ripped. About "Aims for in-game time instead of real-time", is there other options ? i.e. can you achieve a shorter or equal real-time with a longer In-game time ?
[17:37:00]<TheCoreyBurton> It's N64 - it's ALWAYS bad news.
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Stovent wrote:
Indeed I forgot "Uses hardest difficulty", maybe I ripped. About "Aims for in-game time instead of real-time", is there other options ? i.e. can you achieve a shorter or equal real-time with a longer In-game time ?
Yes you can, you can have 1:36.86 min IGT and save 5.2s on TAS time it's why I chosed this option x).