(Link to video)
After months of work and endless route planning, the Gremlin Ninja finally has its TAS! (and my first TAS)
Too bad he really likes to collect eveyrthing lying in the air before finishing levels!
This movie aims to complete the game as fast as possible, using fastest routes that still get enough collectible items.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Bizhawk 2.2.1
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses hardest difficulty
  • Genre: Platform

Comments

Item Collection

As implied above, you need a certain amount of items to finish a level. These can be acquired either throughout the level, or dropped randomly by ennemies (not all types can drop them though) On most levels it's not possible to reach the end of the level in the fastest time while also having enough items, so the difficulty lies in finding the fastest route. Also, RNG manipulation can be used to some extent to make enemies drop items and incorporate that in the route.

Difficulty choice

As far as i know, difficulty only changes the amount of items required to finish the level (as well as time limit but it's irrelevent) Therefore i chose hardest difficulty (hard). Item requirements are higher by 5 compared to normal, hopefully having slightly more difficult and interesting routing.

Attack options

Enemies can be killed using the basic shot (A button), jumping on them, or using the circle slashing attack that can only be used in the air (C button)) Bosses can only be damaged with shots, but the projectiles can be shot once every 2 frames, the only limitation being that you can only have 4 on the screen at the same time. By sticking close it's easy to continuously fire and anihilate them bosses.

Luck manipulation

Enemies that can drop items have a 1/16 chance to drop 5 items when they're killed. The RNG can be manipulated to some extent, however the only actions that make it advance are gathering an item, killing an enemy, being in an invincible state and having an enemy with random behaviour loaded around the screen. These can't be done at will and therefore ways to influence the RNG are limited and heavily reliant on route, which makes guaranteed drop hard to get while desiging a route. Some of the drops I am able to get are thanks to actual luck :p
Also, items dropped go high in the air before going down again, so it's much better to kill the enemy at the edge of the screen or using a ceiling so that they come down sooner.

Fast gathering glitch

If you quickly gather items, such as there's 10 times the "100" score on screen, as long as these are on screen, you can't gather any new item, however every 2 frames you're on one, it "counts" 1 for the level requirement. If you're on several at once it will count all of them. This is abused on several places throughout the run when there are many items at one place.

Stage by stage comments

World 1

1-1: Straightforward and not very entertaining. Lots of ennemies are left alone to manipulate a random item drop in the level
1-2: Quite straightforward too, and also one drop obtained through manipulation.
1-3: First instance of a very nice pack of items giving a lot at once thanks to the glitch, also some fun with the cloning power-up thing.
1-4: This first boss level is special in that there is just the amount of items required in the whole level +1. Some are quite out of the way of the fastest route, so i manage to manipulate RNG to get 2 random drops. Boss isn't too hard I just have to folow its trajectory without being hit and fire every 2 frames.

World 2

2-1: Nothing special about this level, though i can mention here that drum-enemies can't be killed by shots, only jumping on them or use the jump attack
2-2: This level does not have much items, so i tried to manipulate 2 drops in a row, but there was time loss involved. Probably the level with most possible improvement with a different route
2-3: Let's destroy all speakers!
2-4: Destroyed boss easily and a nice random drop using ceiling

World 3

3-1: I climb the tree at the beginning which is kind of slow but there's much more items on this top route. I then just continue and the upper part and take all items around the "jump pads"
3-2: The "pea shooter bomber thing" enemy when i climb at 16 items left was actually quite annoying to avoid while being able to land at a good spot on top to get the next items. Nothins special otherwise.
3-3: Long tree climb again since there's isn't any better alternative.
3-4: Gotta love the slide followed by all the killer potatoes :) That killer banana boss is quite easy too. Have to land and there's a small window where i can' hit it sadly.

World 4

4-1: This level is interesting in that the fastest route to the end is really fast but contains only 12 items. There's a whole bottom route with many items but it's quite longer to pass there, so i go grab a pocket with many items while using the fast collection glitch to have just the amount needed.
4-2: Pretty straightforward level again, very few detours needed. Taking damage by the drills is faster than waiting for them to leave and makes the ascent easier with invincibility frames.
4-3: Where i take damage, by turning left the frame before getting hit i'm boosted back towards the wall which is much faster than waiting around.
4-4: Pretty similar to 4-1, there's a bottom route where i don't go to at all, and can gather just what's needed staying on top and going straight to the boss. Which is trivialized like all the others.

World 5

5-1: In this level you can go left or right but left has much more items and you have to go left eventually to reach the top anyway.
5-2: Straightforward and MANY items to gather throughout. Only detour is trhough the huge pack to abuse the glitch and go straight to the end for the rest of the levels. Also gotta watch for the paper bombers!
5-3: Straight and easy choice of route when the level splits.
5-4: This one goes all around the place and uses 2 enemy random drops which are fast to collect because large detours are needed otherwise. Boss cannot be hit until it opens its "cannon" (i guess it's that?)

World 6

6-1: The first and only level where the fastest route to the end can gather enough items to complete it!
6-2: Nothing special to comment here
6-3: Popcorn bags are luck-based, so this required a bit of manipulation to have projectile trajectories that weren't so bad
6-4: By being hit by the boss i gain some height which makes me able to kill it without going down to the floor. You can't move during the hitstun but you can shoot normally.

World 7

7-1: So MANY enemies.... that weren't really difficult to handle and provide nice entertainment, probably the best level in the game for that.
7-2: Fast collection glitch is heavily abused here to gather 41 items when there's really only 16! This is the best way to avoid doing many detours.
7-3: Small collection glitch again, nothing that notable otherwise.
7-4: Last boss is the only one with (some) difficulty. Same as 6-4, being hit propels a bit up and allows to shoot for longer before falling to the ground.
(The ending is quite anticlimactic...)

Acknowledgements

I really wish to thank the whole TAS community and tasvideos.org for all the awesome speedruns i've seen and motivated me to start my own, as well as all the documentation and tutorials around.

feos: Nicely played, accepting. But even though the feedback was good, I consider this run borderline between Moons and Vault (and I'm pretty sure it gets Vault rating in the end). While it is indeed fast-paced, looks and sound good, it's the same action you've seen during the first minute copy-pasted throughout the entire run. It's so obscured for a reason I guess.
There's no good solution to this problem, but at least we know that it is vaultable, since collecting items is required to beat the game rather than optional for full completion. Yet I'm accepting this to Moons, exactly because the system tries to account for viewer reception, which is very positive here.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1638)
ok...you obviously put some work into this. Nice rerecord count, no blank frames at the end. That is all we know. Can you please change your posting so that it says something other than the template guide?
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Player (84)
Yep, my bad, i meant to just start the submission and fill the comments on a notepad but i pushed the save button by accident '-' I started editing the comments and will finish it tomorrow to provide more details and some level by level info. And yea.. there's a decent amount of work on this xD
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1638)
Good run. The beginning started off rather slow for entertainment...but, it got better and better. So, it took you months to do this? From what I saw on your history with posted YouTubes...you seemed to have been at this for years. Anyway...congratulations on your first submission. I'm sure this will be looked on favorably. Yes vote.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Skilled player (1435)
Collecting items paths should be nightmare to optimise. Extremely difficult task for first TAS. But i see you that did this work well. Yes vote. P.S. Sad that you was not able save a few extra frames to get sub19 mins...
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
Welcome, a great beginning on our site ! yes vote !
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
I only played the SNES version for some time, but when I watched your WIPs, I noted how this version is different, principally the gameplay. Nice work overall. Yes vote.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
I enjoyed watching the run quite a lot. The action was pretty quick and flowed smoothly without a lot of downtime. Yes vote.
Player (26)
Great work, yes vote! ...is that the only ending of the game? Because sounds like a pretty anticlimatic sequel bait. Is there a golden ending somewhere?
Player (84)
nymx wrote:
Good run. The beginning started off rather slow for entertainment...but, it got better and better. So, it took you months to do this? From what I saw on your history with posted YouTubes...you seemed to have been at this for years.
I progressively put more attention to entertainment, and early levels arn't the most interesting too i guess (also RNG manipulation limits my actions) I started with the idea of that TAS late 2013, abandoned it quickly because i couldn't find how the RNG worked. I then looked at it again late 2015, spent 1 month in debugger and lua scripting to understand and be able to simulate rng, then did first 2 levels and stopped again. I finally started again in September 2017 and did most of the game between that and Decembler, slowing finishing since January. So overall probably 6 or 7 months ^^
Radiant wrote:
...is that the only ending of the game? Because sounds like a pretty anticlimatic sequel bait. Is there a golden ending somewhere?
That's.... actually a very good question. As far as i know (my experience playing as a kid a lot and searching for info on this) there isn't another ending. But i also wonder if there are secrets i don't know, so maybe there is? Something that always intrigued me are bonus levels hidden in levels(that are shoot'em up sections, that are kind of bugged on hit detection since it's pretty hard to not get hit on them even playing frame by frame). I know of 2 such bonus levels, first in level 2-1, the other on 3-2, but there likely are some others hidden. Don't know how i could look for them though and i have not found more info. I'll probably have to look at that at some point, but these don't affect the rest of the game from what i've seen. Thank you for the votes and the nice responses =)
Player (26)
Ploplo wrote:
Radiant wrote:
...is that the only ending of the game? Because sounds like a pretty anticlimatic sequel bait. Is there a golden ending somewhere?
That's.... actually a very good question. As far as i know (my experience playing as a kid a lot and searching for info on this) there isn't another ending. But i also wonder if there are secrets i don't know, so maybe there is?
VG Museum shows different text for the ending... However, Zool was originally an Amiga game. By the time the Genesis version was released, the Amiga platform had already released the sequel. It is possible that the six extra levels simply refer to this sequel (which was apparently planned, but never released, for the Genesis).
Player (84)
Radiant wrote:
VG Museum shows different text for the ending... However, Zool was originally an Amiga game. By the time the Genesis version was released, the Amiga platform had already released the sequel. It is possible that the six extra levels simply refer to this sequel (which was apparently planned, but never released, for the Genesis).
Those screens are from the SNES version which is pretty much a different game (except for world/enemy design) with different physics and levels. Amiga version is even more vastly different (though i've never played either of those 2 other versions)
XYZ
Former player
I play this game by setting autofire on button A and even on B and C sometimes) Good job. YES.
good job for a first time, yes vote
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3669] Genesis Zool: Ninja of the "Nth" Dimension by Ploplo in 19:00.13