Submission Text Full Submission Page
Super Metroid Kaizo any% TAS by Hoandizi
This hack was made by Green Samus
Special thanks Aran;Jaeger for his great help!
Patch version: 1.0 (UH) for Super Metroid (JU).smc Emulator: snes9x-1.51-rerecording-v7-win32
Goal of the run:
  • Aim for fastest in-game timer (because I'm not good at real time), finished time: 52:43.85
  • Stay in-bound
Route and strategy:
  • Normal route (like Lioran did in his speed run of this hack): Morphing Ball -> Grappling Beam -> Bomb -> Charge Beam -> Speed Booster -> Screw Attack -> Hi-Jump Boots -> Ice Beam -> Spring Ball -> Phantoon -> X-ray -> Wave Beam -> Spazer -> Plasma Beam -> Varia Suit -> Super Missile -> Missile(s) -> Draygon -> Space Jump -> Power Bomb -> Ridley -> Gravity Suit -> Kraid -> Tourian...
  • In my route: I skipped Wave Beam and Spazer, I also get Spring Ball very soon, saving a lot of back-tracking
Thanks for watching :)

Nach: Sorry for the delay on this run, I was hoping for more serious feedback.
All in all this run was played quite well and cleverly. The author really plans out how to save time. Unfortunately, overall, the hack itself isn't exactly presenting well designed areas, isn't too popular, and the audience found the play with it tedious and repetitive. Barely half the audience found it entertaining. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5902: Hoandjzj's SNES Super Metroid in 1:17:59.24
Editor, Experienced player (817)
I was going to say something about this totally serious run, but then I finished watching it.
there are some very smart ideas in this hack; it would be fun if actual SM players would try to play this without being spoiled.....
Editor, Player (44)
Some serious feedback: this started out pretty tedious, but got more enjoyable as it went on. The visuals of the level design are a bit bland, and of course it's got that kaizo thing going on where things don't really look like they seem, but it's interesting to see the character progression as areas go from "really repetitive" to "trivially solved" as they're encountered repeatedly from time to time over the run. The game also manages to have a "sense of place"; despite the map being rather different from Super Metroid's and unfamiliar to me, it didn't take me long to get a sense of how things were connected and to recognise areas that the character had been in before. It's a pity that the start has so many repetitive sequences (especially slowly moving through bombable corridors a bomb at a time), because the middle-to-end is pretty fun to watch. (I'm assuming that you got the intended ending of the game? It's often hard to tell what counts as a win in a Kaizo game.)
Aran_Jaeger
He/Him
Banned User, Player (9)
It might be worthwhile to point out that the actual ending (if one plays back the movie) doesn't contain this death at the ship and instead as usual advances to the credits, which was edited in the video.
collect, analyse, categorise. "Mathematics - When tool-assisted skills are just not enough" ;) Don't want to be taking up so much space adding to posts, but might be worth mentioning and letting others know for what games 1) already some TAS work has been done (ordered in decreasing amount, relative to a game completion) by me and 2) I am (in decreasing order) planning/considering to TAS them. Those would majorly be SNES games (if not, it will be indicated in the list) I'm focusing on. 1) Spanky's Quest; On the Ball/Cameltry; Musya; Super R-Type; Plok; Sutte Hakkun; The Wizard of Oz; Battletoads Doubledragon; Super Ghouls'n Ghosts; Firepower 2000; Brain Lord; Warios Woods; Super Turrican; The Humans. 2) Secret Command (SEGA); Star Force (NES); Hyperzone; Aladdin; R-Type 3; Power Blade 2 (NES); Super Turrican 2; First Samurai. (last updated: 18.03.2018)
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
As far as I'm concerned, this is plenty entertaining enough for Moons. Yes vote.
Previous Name: boct1584
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
This hack must contain some of my least favorite level design for Super Metroid romhacks: Long morphball mazes, copious underwater sections, and a ton of backtracking. I think the section where you had to slowly bomb your way through a long morphball tunnel coming back from Norfair was the worst offender. Thankfully, with each new item that you got, the backtracking sections got a little bit faster, and I enjoyed seeing the different strategies used to traverse the rooms. Overall, I'm erring on the side of "Meh" in terms of entertainment on this run. On the one hand, it's Super Metroid, and I can't get enough of that, on the other hand, as a TAS, it is very slow and tedious. Great work though, do keep it up nonetheless.
Aran Jaeger wrote:
It might be worthwhile to point out that the actual ending (if one plays back the movie) doesn't contain this death at the ship and instead as usual advances to the credits, which was edited in the video.
oowwww and i seriously tought that the game would actually game over when you reach the ship just to screw even more with the poor dude that lost his mind actually trying to tackle the game i'm so sad :(
In the video, I think it would be infinitely cooler to see the boss in question without any text showing up that spoils said boss. I watched the whole thing. I guess that counts for something.
<^>v AB X LR s
Speedee39
He/Him
I agree with ais523 and scrimpeh that some of the maps were very tedious to watch Samus traverse. That's poor level design in my opinion. But I noticed little things that you did to make these parts more entertaining, and you also used new items nearly every time you were forced through that messy map in the first half. But overall, I was entertained. I normally would not watch Metroid for that long, but there were some nail-biting moments when you would nearly run out of health (down to one HP at one point) only to kill an enemy for more at just the right frame. Good work!
Player (26)
Much as I enjoy Super Metroid, I must say this is a poorly designed romhack with an overreliance on bland design, walls that act as passages, and simply sticking spikes everywhere. Furthermore, a google search suggests that it is sorely lacking in notability, getting only a couple hundred hits where Super Metroid Impossible and Super Zero Mission get tens of thousands. There are over a hundred Super Metroid hacks and I fail to see what's so special about this one. Voting no.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... juicy!
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I think this might a good time to revisit this judgment, if such a thing is feasible. The notoriety of the hack has gone up a lot in the last month or so, mostly from streamer Oatsngoats speedrunning the hack (albeit a slightly modified version to be more RTA-friendly.)
Previous Name: boct1584
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
From what I remembered when this was posted, I didn’t really find it all that interesting, there’s alot of arbitrary movement required to get around each area, which makes it hard to watch most of the time. Though maybe others will feel differently about it.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing